What are the options for using 1Password Families on a shared iMac?

tch20014
tch20014
Community Member

I recently switched from a personal account to a Families subscription. At home my wife and I share an iMac computer under a single OS X login. 1Password is already installed on that computer and contains all of my passwords. When I tried to scan my wife's QR code to add her account the software indicates that it is not permissable to add more than one account from the same family. Are separate OS X logins the only way for multiple family members to have full use of 1Password on an iMac?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:shared imac

Comments

• Hi @tch20014! Separate users in OS X is the best way to do this. 1Password for Mac can only support one account at a time because the Master Password that unlocks it is one you would both need to know, and with a family account, each of you have different Master Passwords. We're looking into making this better in the future, and I appreciate you posting about it. :) Hope this helps!

• tch20014
    tch20014
    Community Member

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately that workflow is not something that makes sense for my family. We're going to continue to use a single OS X user account. How do I cancel my Families subscription and downgrade to an individual subscription (one user)? This missing feature was not made clear on the website or else I would not have purchased a Families subscription.

• @tch20014 No problem. You're welcome to use the same user for everything with an individual account. To convert your account, first make sure your other members have moved their data to the Shared vault so you can access them after converting the account. Then sign in from your browser, click your family name in the top right, and choose Admin Console -> Family Members. Click each family member and remove them from the account. Now you can convert your account by clicking your family name and choosing Family Settings. There's a button at the bottom to convert it. :)

To be clear, this isn't a missing feature when it comes to a family account, it's one we haven't added yet. It isn't available in 1Password for Mac, so having it in 1Password Families isn't possible right now.

Hope that helps!

• tch20014
    tch20014
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob. That was refreshingly easy. I'm not sure what the distinction is in your mind between a missing feature and one you haven't added yet. But for me it's a necessary one. If you decide to add it in the future I will consider upgrading.

• No problem at all. :) It's good to hear there are people looking for that feature. I hope we have something for you down the way.

This discussion has been closed.