Running 1Password 6 on Windows 10 PC - Application won't open

Hello -

Just did a factory reset on my Windows Surface Pro 4 PC with Windows 10. Installed 1Password 6.1.308. Installation went fine. When i click to open the application, nothing happens (have tried running with and without administrator mode). If i monitor via Windows Task Manager, i do see a thread starting called "1Password for Windows Desktop" starting, it consumes a few CPU cycles and then disappears within a few seconds. Note that it was working for me prior to factory reseting my PC (not sure which version i was running though....)

Any suggestions on what I could do to resolve this one?

Regards,
Rajeev

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeev: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It sounds like either .Net or 1Password itself is damaged. Please uninstall 1Password, install .Net 4.6.2, restart Windows, and install 1Password again. I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• Jeev
    Jeev
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for the quick response. followed your instructions but got same result. when I tried to install .Net 4.6.2 I received a message stating it was already installed. downloaded the installer for 1Password using the link provided (previously I downloaded from my 1Password for Families site). also tried cleaning my system with Glary Utilities just in case (even though I did a fresh OS install a few days ago). still no change....

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Jeev,

It seems like 1Password 6 wasn't able to correctly initialize the databse. Can you follow these steps to give 1Password a chance to create a new Database:

1. Close 1Password if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select Exit
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3. Rename data folder to backup-data
    4. Open 1Password
  • Jeev
    Jeev
    Community Member

@mohamedosman

Thanks! this worked perfect, i'm back up & running again!

• That is great news, @Jeev, thanks for letting us know about it.

Mohamed and Brenty are awesome like this.

If there's ever anything else we can help you with, don't hesitate to write us again.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.