1Password won't start on Windows 10

TravisCannon
TravisCannon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm trying to install 1Password on a Windows 10 computer. The install was successful, but when I try to launch the application nothing happens. I checked the Windows event log and found the following two errors.

First error...

Faulting application name: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe, version: 6.1.286.0, time stamp: 0x5813b24c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.321, time stamp: 0x57f4c4f0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
Faulting process id: 0x25bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2324cea2351b9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 155c5188-c2f6-48db-a39c-546a939fe4d2
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Second error...

Application: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException
   at Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.Interop.MarshalEx.ThrowExceptionForRC(Int32, Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.Interop.Sqlite3Handle)
   at Microsoft.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader(System.Data.CommandBehavior)
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.Internal.RelationalCommand.Execute(Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.IRelationalConnection, System.String, System.Collections.Generic.IReadOnlyDictionary`2<System.String,System.Object>, Boolean, Boolean)
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.Internal.RelationalCommand.ExecuteReader(Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.IRelationalConnection, System.Collections.Generic.IReadOnlyDictionary`2<System.String,System.Object>, Boolean)
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryingEnumerable+Enumerator.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.QueryMethodProvider+<_ShapedQuery>d__3`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider+<_TrackEntities>d__15`2[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider+ExceptionInterceptor`1+EnumeratorExceptionInterceptor[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>, System.Func`2<System.__Canon,System.__Canon>, System.Func`2<System.__Canon,System.__Canon>, System.Collections.Generic.IEqualityComparer`1<System.__Canon>)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>, System.Func`2<System.__Canon,System.__Canon>, System.Func`2<System.__Canon,System.__Canon>)
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.LocalDatabase.LocalContextConfigurationProvider.Load()
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.ConfigurationRoot..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IList`1<Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.IConfigurationProvider>)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.ConfigurationBuilder.Build()
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.BuildConfiguration(System.String[])
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.CreateGlobalContainer(System.String[])
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(System.String[])

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.1.286
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:1Password won't start on Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @TravisCannon,

Thanks for reporting this.

It looks like 1Password isn't able to parse its configuration file, so it err'ed out instead.

Can you uninstall 1Password via Control Panel and then install 1Password again but this time, don't change the settings, let it install to your local app data directory and see if it works better.

Please let me know how it turns out.

• TravisCannon
    TravisCannon
    Community Member

@MikeT-

I've already tried that. Originally, I had it installed in the default location. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times. Once just an uninstall and a reinstall, no changes to settings. And then I uninstalled and reinstalled, but tried a different install location. It's been the same result each time. The application doesn't start and I get the same errors in the event log.

• Hi @TravisCannon,

Let's try something else first:

1. Make sure the latest .NET framework is installed with this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344
    2. Reboot and see if 1Password opens now.

If that didn't work either, try this:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter %localappdata%\1Password
    2. Move all content in this directory to a folder on your desktop and restart 1Password, see if it works.
  • TravisCannon
    TravisCannon
    Community Member

@MikeT-

I tried installing the latest version of the .NET framework, but it said it was already installed. I then uninstalled 1Password again and deleted all the data in both the install locations I had tried — %localappdata%\1Password and C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password. Then I rebooted and reinstalled 1Password again, and it worked! I think it was the last step of uninstalling and deleting all the data that did the trick (which was fine for me to do since I didn't have any data synced yet).

Thanks for the help!

• Hi @TravisCannon,

That's great to hear, thanks for writing back to let us know that.

If you haven't empty the trash yet and you didn't add any data either, would it be possible to send us these files, so we can see what's causing the app to hang?

You can email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Please include the link to this thread and your forum username, so we can connect the dots.

Thanks again!

• paulstovell
    paulstovell
    Community Member

I had the same problem.

1. Installed the MSI for the first time, kept all the default settings (6.1.308)
    2. App crashed immediately on launch with the error in the event viewer
    3. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, restarting, etc - same behaviour
    4. I went to C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password\data, and saw a 0-byte 1Password10.sqlite file
    5. I deleted that file
    6. It worked - no reinstall. The file was then re-created and is now 220KB.

Windows Defender is running but no other anti virus software.

• Thanks for this information, @paulstovell. We'll look into this!

This discussion has been closed.