To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

struggle with using 1password

maze350z
maze350z
Community Member

Hi,
I want to use a password manager and found through an video on youtube to 1password. The guy explained that there is no data saving on the server from Agilebits. I downloaded the newest version 6 and did not find out until now where my datas are saved. When I was looking for it, I found a few articles about the change, that AgileBits save the datas now in there servers! Is this right? Can I change that?
Alternative I would use Keepass but this is not so comfortable as 1password. I really have an security issue about that.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows10 / Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @maze350z! Thanks for giving 1Password a go. :) I'm sorry for the confusion about how things work though. Do you have a link to that video? We can get in touch with the author and let him know things have changed a bit.

So, earlier this year we introduced a 1Password subscription service, which includes some benefits the standalone license doesn't:

• Get all the 1Password apps. No matter which plan you choose, you always has free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps. Install 1Password on your devices and sign in to start using them.
    • Sync without the need of a third-party sync service. With a 1Password account, simply sign in and your passwords and other items are there automatically.
    • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items. If a change was made to an item and it needs to be reverted, fret not. It can easily be rolled back from 1Password.com.
    • View, edit, and add items from a browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from the devices you typically use.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model for your hosted account. Since your data is in the cloud, we took some extra steps to make sure the security is even better than what the standalone version of 1Password has. An Account Key is generated during setup to strengthen your Master Password, and we still don't store either of them. Learn more about how 1Password protects your data in the cloud.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can always view and export your data.

These are all things we've wanted in 1Password for a while, and ones that weren't possible with a license model. The cool thing is, your data is more encrypted when stored on the 1Password server than it is locally. :) Learn more about this in the security knowledge base article I mentioned above. You're still welcome to purchase a license if that works better for you, and you can store everything locally. I wanted to clear things up first and let you know that your data is very well looked after on the server. Let us know what you'd like to do.

• maze350z
    maze350z
    Community Member

Hi Jacob,
    thanks for an answer.
    So, i can choose if I want to store everything local or on your server? Can I do it with the new version or do I have to change to an other version? And how can I do it?

Thanks,
    Maze

• @maze350z Yep! Since you set things up with a subscription account, you'll need to move to a standalone license to store things locally. Let's get some more info about your devices so we can help with that. Could you email us at support@1password.com and let us know what operating system you're running? We'll do our best to help get you set up. Post back here after emailing us and include the BitBot confirmation number so we can get back to you faster.

• maze350z
    maze350z
    Community Member

Hi Jacob,
    I have to travel for 3 weeks now and I let you know afterwords what I will do. Even if I change to an standalone license, I want to have my data by me - it doesnt matter where I am. For that, i have to have the datas on a server anyway. I use Google drive for some data but these are not so important then passwords. If i think about that, it have to choose between the server from Agilebits and dropbox (I use Windows and Android and as I know, Google Drive is not possible). I dont know Dropbox and Agilebits about the security of my data - so it is the matter about trust! You wrote me about your security model and it sounds good but can I trust that?
    I hope you can understand my worrys because it is sensitive/confidential data that we are talking about here.
    I think about it and let you know.
    Thank you very much for your help,
    Maze

• Thanks for the folllow-up email @maze350z, @Jacob and I are on standby to chat in-depth about what you decide in a few weeks when you have more time to look into this. :)

And don’t worry, we completely understand when it comes to your sensitive and confidential data, 1Password is built on a foundation of keeping that sort of information safe and private! One thing I think you’ll appreciate about 1Password is that is is encrypted end-to-end, what this means is whether you store your data locally, in iCloud, Dropbox or let us sync the data for you, is that your valuable data is protected by your Master Password and can only be unlocked in the 1Password app itself. What this means is that even if someone were to gain access to your Dropbox account, without your 1Password Master Password they’d be able to access the data stored within 1Password. The best step you can do to ensure your security when using 1Password is to select a strong Master Password.

The 1Password Accounts have an added layer of security on top of the Master Password which we call Account Keys, we do not have the full Account Keys stored on our end, so while we store the logins we cannot access them without that key, even if we wanted to. The Account Key is known only by you along with your Master Password ensuring only you have the keys to the data.

I ope that gives you a bit more information to make an informed decision. We’re happy to talk some more about your options when you have some time. Safe travels! :)

This discussion has been closed.