To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Had to create an account and now I've got 2 vaults that don't see each other on Mac or iPhone

NK_Herself
NK_Herself
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Memberships

I've been using your app since 2008. Today when I was migrating all my stuff from old Mac laptop to new one, I was told when trying to set up 1Pass that I needed to have an account. I set one up, but it's created a new vault called Personal, which is empty, and gives me no access to the Primary vault I've been using all along which is full of stuff. Then, suddenly, all my data did show up in the Personal vault, BUT I have no option to set up syncing, and when I look at my account on your website or on the Mac app, the Primary vault doesn't appear at all. This is hella confusing & frustrating -- please help. I love the app and it's always operated smoothly for me, until now. Note: I purchased it from Agilebits.com.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Vault problems

Comments

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nk_Herself

If you want to sync with Dropbox, you can, but you'll need to enable the feature "Allow Creation of Vaults outside of 1Password accounts" in Preferences » Advanced.

• NK_Herself
    NK_Herself
    Community Member

Thanks. I've enabled that, and waiting for it to populate to my devices. But it brings up another question--if I want to continue using Dropbox, why did I need a 1Password account? Can I stop using it and just continue to have my Primary vault shared among my devices.

Appreciate your help.

• NK_Herself
    NK_Herself
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Update: now I've got the app on my laptop showing me an empty PRIMARY vault, and all my stuff is in PERSONAL, which was created when I signed up for an account. I'm not able to see both vaults on my other devices. How do I get all my data back into PRIMARY and get rid of this new PERSONAL I didn't want at all? Thanks

• Hello @NK_Herself, thanks for the follow-up message. I wanted to address your first point regarding the use of Dropbox, and the answer that is an optional left entirely up to you! We introduced a 1Password Accounts service about a year ago, this is a monthly or annual subscription service where we sync your data for you but we continue to sell and support the licenses you are more familiar with going back to 2008.

This leads us to your second message, currently your data is in the Personal vault associated with the 1Password Account and synced with us, but don’t worry, you can move it back to the local Primary vault and resume syncing via Dropbox or however you prefer! Since @TJLuoma already had you create the Primary vault, give these steps a try to transfer your logins from the 1Password Account’s Personal vault into the Primary vault:

From the 1Password menu, choose Switch to Vault and select the vault with the items you want to move (In this case, Personal vault)
    Select the item(s) you want to move. Select multiple items by holding down the Command key when clicking on them. Select all of the items by pressing Command-A after clicking one of the items in the list.
    From the Item menu, choose Share.
    Select the vault you want to move the data into (the Primary vault), and you’ll then have the option to move or copy the item(s).
    After you have moved all items from the Personal vault, you can then head into the 1Password Preferences, click on the Accounts tab, select your Account and click Sign Out to remove the 1Password Account.

That should do it, your logins will now be stored in a local Primary vault which you can setup to sync via iCloud, Dropbox or WLAN with your other devices. I hope that helps! :)

• NK_Herself
    NK_Herself
    Community Member

It worked!
    I use your app constantly on laptop and phone and have sold a couple of friends on using it. I'm a huge fan.
    Thanks so much.

• On behalf of Sean and TJ, you're welcome. :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.