How to delete vault

Options
ScarySulley
ScarySulley
Community Member

On Android (and iOS as well) how do you delete the vault? I know on Mac/PC if you delete 1Password, the vault file is still present in its own location and you would have to delete the vault itself to actually delete the vault data. But how does this work with Android/iOS? Where is the actual vault data stored? On the mobile device itself or the cloud/Dropbox? If you delete the app, will that also delete the vault?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScarySulley: Good question! If the vault is stored only locally in the app (i.e. not in a cloud service like Dropbox or 1Password.com) it will be removed when the app itself is deleted. Otherwise it will remain on the server unless you remove it yourself. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for the info!

Here some follow-up questions that seem off topic, but lead back to a mobile device question:

• My Mac has a local vault (under Application Support, right?) and a vault in Dropbox. Does 1Password use both of these vaults at the sametime?
    • My Windows PC has backup vaults stored in the Documents folder. Does 1Password also have a local vault like the Mac version does? If so, does 1Password for Windows also use both of these vaults?
    • Based on the last two questions, do the mobile versions work the same way if Dropbox is used to sync? In other words do the mobile versions use both a local vault and Dropbox version (if cloud syncing is used of course)? (Might a follow up question depending on the answer you provide.)

Thanks! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My Mac has a local vault (under Application Support, right?) and a vault in Dropbox. Does 1Password use both of these vaults at the sametime?

@ScarySulley: 1Password for Mac works directly with the internal database stored in the Application Support folder. It then syncs changes to any external OPVault or AgileKeychain vault you use for Dropbox or Folder Sync.

My Windows PC has backup vaults stored in the Documents folder. Does 1Password also have a local vault like the Mac version does? If so, does 1Password for Windows also use both of these vaults?

The short answer is that this doesn't apply to 1Password for Windows. Version 4 works directly with a vault on disk; there is no internal database. Version 6 does have an internal database...but does not yet support writing to local vaults, so I can't really say "it syncs changes, etc." In the future though it will work similarly to 1Password for Mac.

Based on the last two questions, do the mobile versions work the same way if Dropbox is used to sync? In other words do the mobile versions use both a local vault and Dropbox version (if cloud syncing is used of course)? (Might a follow up question depending on the answer you provide.)

With 1Password for Android, it depends on the sync method. With 1Password for iOS, there is always an internal database; and then if you setup sync with Dropbox, a regular vault is also saved. iCloud and 1Password.com work differently though, since the server hosts a database. But effectively it's the same as 1Password for Mac.

This discussion has been closed.