To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Attachments lose their name when migrating to accounts

Options
joedelve
joedelve
Community Member

I've recently migrated from locally synced copies of my 1Password data to a 1Password.com account and all of my attachments now show the generic name of "Imported Attachment" rather than the name they were given when they were originally created.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• joedelve
    joedelve
    Community Member
    Options

After reading some other forum posts it would seem that by moving from standalone locally synced vaults to 1Password accounts you loose the ability to associate attachments (now called documents) with specific related items and where you previously had specific item related attachments, the migration process has automatically created what amounts to one time links in the specific item to the related attachment (document) and named them "Imported Attachment."

Unfortunately, if I delete one of these links in the web app I cannot recreate the link either in the Windows app or in the web app but the original document remains in the documents folder. What a mess... Now I just have a documents folder full of unrelated files, some items with links to documents that cannot be deleted or I'll lose them, and one item with a missing link to the document I originally had it linked to. It's also unfortunate that nothing on the website warns of all this if you decide to move to the online accounts model.

• Hi @joedelve! Sorry about that. In 1Password for Windows, you can see the original attachment name by hovering over it. A tooltip will appear with its name:

In 1Password for Mac and iOS they keep the attachment's name rather than showing Imported Attachment. You'll notice that the Document item created from the attachment also retains the name. I'll let the team know about the inconsistency and we'll see what we can do to make it better. :)

Unfortunately, if I delete one of these links in the web app I cannot recreate the link either in the Windows app or in the web app but the original document remains in the documents folder. What a mess... Now I just have a documents folder full of unrelated files, some items with links to documents that cannot be deleted or I'll lose them, and one item with a missing link to the document I originally had it linked to. It's also unfortunate that nothing on the website warns of all this if you decide to move to the online accounts model.

I'm sorry about that. We're working on making document importing in 1Password for Windows better. You will be able to link items there soon. I'll let the team know you asked about it. Hope this helps for now!

• joedelve
    joedelve
    Community Member
    Options

Looking forward to that. Thanks, Jacob.

• No problem. :)

This discussion has been closed.