New to 1P Subscription - Need Handholding

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have been using 1P for Windows and Mac and I just started a free trial for 1P Subscription (I suppose, since I was not asked for any payment info).

Before I installed 1P S on my Windows laptop I tried to completely uninstall 1P, including my local vault folder and my Firefox extension. After setting up 1P S I re-downloaded 1P 4.6.1.616 for Windows and installed it, then I re-downloaded the Firefox extension and customized my Firefox view to show the new extension icon. When I restarted Firefox I got the numerical code match window and clicked Authorize.

Next I tried to login to my bank web site, but nothing happened when I poked the Firefox 1P icon. So then I opened a new window on my browser and signed in to my 1P online account. Then I closed the previous bank login window and opened it again from a new browser window. Again, nothing happened when I poked the Firefox 1P icon.

What am I doing wrong, or, what do I need to do to use the Firefox 1P icon to log-in to my bookmarked web sites? I do not want to always go to my vault to find and open my web sites.

Thanks for your kind help.

Edit: After submitting this post I closed my browser and tried to open the main 1P application on my Windows laptop. Since I had just re-downloaded the application I got the start-up window that asked if I was new to 1P. I said I had used 1P before and was asked to link to an existing vault. However, I had deleted my previous vault (in my Documents folder) as part of my preliminary uninstall. I had copied my vault to my new 1P S account on my Mac before I opened up my Windows laptop, so I thought 1P S would have put a local vault someplace in my Windows laptop when I first signed in to 1P S on my Windows laptop. Did it? If so, I can't find it. Where should I look? Or, is there something I need to do in my 1P S account to ask it to put a local vault in my Documents folder (or some other default location)?

Again, thanks for your kind help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @fourwheelcycle,

Thanks for writing in.

There are two separate 1Password versions on Windows that's built for different purposes, 1Password 4 and 1Password 6. 1Password 4 is for the local vaults only and cannot support 1Password.com service, which is why we've built 1Password 6 from the ground up to support 1Password.com and in the near future, local vaults as well, so we'd end up with one Windows version for everyone. You can find 1Password 6 here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

Here's how to proceed:

1. Uninstall 1Password 4 via the Control Panel > Remove Programs
    2. Download and install 1Password 6: https://1Password.com/downloads/
    3. Open 1Password 6, sign in to your 1Password account and your should see your 1Password data

You do not need to reinstall the browser extensions as we reuse the same browser extensions for all 1Password versions. If you restart your browser, you should now be able to see your Logins when you visit your site.

For future reference, never delete your 1Password data folder until you're 100% sure the other version has the data. 1Password store your data and app files separately for this purpose.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks. I'll do as you suggest. I do still have my local data - I deleted it on my Windows laptop but it remains in my Mac, which is where I did the 1P Subscription setup. When I open 1P on my Mac it asks if I want to use my Primary (previous/local) vault or my Personal (1P.com) vault.

After I do as you have suggested will I be able to use the Firefox icon w/o going to my full 1P.com vault every time I want to use a login? Also, will there be a way to use my 1P.com account vault when I cannot access the internet, e.g., if I want to access Secure Notes when I am on the road and away from any internet access?

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using the licensed version of 1Password and I just set up a trial of the account version. I was able to easily move my existing licensed version vault items to my account vault, but I am wondering if there is an equally easy way to move (sync?) my account vault items to my licensed version vault. As long as I am using the account trial I will make all edits and add all new items to the account vault, but if I ultimately decide not to stay with the account version I will need to move all of my account vault items back to my licensed version vault in order to update it.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

It is too late to edit my above post, but now I have more questions. I notice I can turn off my internet connection and still access my 1Password.com (Personal) vault by opening my local 1Password application. Does this mean a copy of my Personal vault is backed up to my computer at regular intervals? If so, how often is it backed up and where can I find it on my local Mac?

In an effort to see if my Personal vault is backed up to my local hidden user library Backups folder I went into my Preferences, did a backup, then made an edit to one item in my Personal vault, and restored from my recent backup to see if the recent change in my Personal vault would get wiped out. What happened when I did the restore is that my Personal vault was removed completely! I suddenly had only my previous licensed version vault. I had to sign in to my.1password.com and then re-add my 1password.com account to my local 1password installation.

This makes me wonder how my computer is able to access my Personal vault when my internet connection is turned off. Are current copies of my Personal vault data located in my hidden user library Data folder? If so, after I lost my 1Password.com Personal vault in the second paragraph of this post would there have been any way to access or restore it from my hidden user library Data file after the Backup restore removed it, without having to sign-in to my.1Password.com and re-adding it to my local installation?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

After I do as you have suggested will I be able to use the Firefox icon w/o going to my full 1P.com vault every time I want to use a login?

@fourwheelcycle: Correct. 1Password mini is designed to let you access your data through the browser extension, and also you can open it any time by pressing Ctrl Alt \.

Also, will there be a way to use my 1P.com account vault when I cannot access the internet, e.g., if I want to access Secure Notes when I am on the road and away from any internet access?

Yep! 1Password caches a local copy of the data on your device so you can access it offline. Logins aren't particularly useful without an internet connection, but Secure Notes sure are! :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I now have my individual trial account set up on all of my computers. However, it appears if I clear the history on my browsers my.1password.com does not recognize my computer and asks for a complete sign-in, including my account key, when I try to sign in. This happens even if I have already opened 1P on my local computer while my browser is open and connected to the internet.

I clear my browsers every day, so having to enter my full account key each time I to sign-in to my.1password.com is a major concern for me. I hope I am doing something wrong or there is a work-around.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fourwheelcycle: I've merged your other posts scattered amongst forum categories here so we can avoid confusion by having a conversation in one place.

I have been using the licensed version of 1Password and I just set up a trial of the account version. I was able to easily move my existing licensed version vault items to my account vault, but I am wondering if there is an equally easy way to move (sync?) my account vault items to my licensed version vault. As long as I am using the account trial I will make all edits and add all new items to the account vault, but if I ultimately decide not to stay with the account version I will need to move all of my account vault items back to my licensed version vault in order to update it.

It isn't possible to sync 1Password.com data outside of your 1Password Account with local vaults. But if you decide to move back to the standalone app, you can export your data from the account and import it into a local vault.

It is too late to edit my above post, but now I have more questions. I notice I can turn off my internet connection and still access my 1Password.com (Personal) vault by opening my local 1Password application. Does this mean a copy of my Personal vault is backed up to my computer at regular intervals? If so, how often is it backed up and where can I find it on my local Mac?

As I mentioned in a previous reply, 1Password caches a local copy of the data on your device so you can access it offline. This is not a backup. Backups are done by the server continually, since that's where your encrypted data lives: in your account on 1Password.com. That way you can revert to an older version of an item (or restore one you deleted) to "undo" a change you made to recover data.

In an effort to see if my Personal vault is backed up to my local hidden user library Backups folder I went into my Preferences, did a backup, then made an edit to one item in my Personal vault, and restored from my recent backup to see if the recent change in my Personal vault would get wiped out. What happened when I did the restore is that my Personal vault was removed completely! I suddenly had only my previous licensed version vault. I had to sign in to my.1password.com and then re-add my 1password.com account to my local 1password installation.

Correct. Local backups are for local vaults, and restoring from a local backup only restores local vaults. All of your 1Password Account data is stored on 1Password.com though, so you need only login to your account to access it.

This makes me wonder how my computer is able to access my Personal vault when my internet connection is turned off. Are current copies of my Personal vault data located in my hidden user library Data folder? If so, after I lost my 1Password.com Personal vault in the second paragraph of this post would there have been any way to access or restore it from my hidden user library Data file after the Backup restore removed it, without having to sign-in to my.1Password.com and re-adding it to my local installation?

No. You'll need to login to your 1Password Account to access the data stored there. If that were not the case, that could be a potential loophole that someone malicious could use to access your data. You will always need your Master Password and Account Key to access it, as both are needed to decrypt it.

I now have my individual trial account set up on all of my computers. However, it appears if I clear the history on my browsers my.1password.com does not recognize my computer and asks for a complete sign-in, including my account key, when I try to sign in. This happens even if I have already opened 1P on my local computer while my browser is open and connected to the internet. I clear my browsers every day, so having to enter my full account key each time I to sign-in to my.1password.com is a major concern for me. I hope I am doing something wrong or there is a work-around.

No. If you reset your browser, the Account Key will no longer be saved there and you'll have to enter it again to login to 1Password.com. You can't have it both ways: resetting the locally stored data (Account Key in the browser, or the app's database when restoring a local backup) and keeping that data.

I hope that helps clarify things. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

brenty,

Thanks for responding to my posts.

My account seems to be working well for me and I have now deleted my licensed version vaults from all of my computers. I appreciate your explanation that if I ever go back to my Mac and Windows licensed versions I can export my account vault items and then repopulate my licensed version vaults.

The only issue I continue to be concerned about is the hassle of typing in my full account key in order to sign-in to my online account if I have cleared my browser history. I just saw that my security key is included in my 1p.com login item. I guess I can just copy it into the online sign-in each time. This will not be a major continuing concern if it turns out I don't really need to sign-in to my online account very often. It's a problem right now because I keep signing-in to my online vault to see whether and how quickly it is staying in sync with changes I make in my local Mac and Windows vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

brenty,
    Thanks for responding to my posts.
    My account seems to be working well for me and I have now deleted my licensed version vaults from all of my computers. I appreciate your explanation that if I ever go back to my Mac and Windows licensed versions I can export my account vault items and then repopulate my licensed version vaults.

@fourwheelcycle: You're totally welcome! I'm glad to hear that I was able to help. :)

The only issue I continue to be concerned about is the hassle of typing in my full account key in order to sign-in to my online account if I have cleared my browser history. I just saw that my security key is included in my 1p.com login item. I guess I can just copy it into the online sign-in each time. This will not be a major continuing concern if it turns out I don't really need to sign-in to my online account very often. It's a problem right now because I keep signing-in to my online vault to see whether and how quickly it is staying in sync with changes I make in my local Mac and Windows vaults.

While it depends entirely on your workflow, I find that I only occasionally need to login to 1Password.com — and usually when I do it's to test something because a customer has a question. ;)

After all, syncing is automatic, and should happen within a matter of seconds (provided you're online). One of the main benefits of the subscription service is not having to worry about this, so I'd encourage you to just try using it normally and resist the urge to "babysit" by checking everything any time you make a change to see how long it takes to sync. That said, if in normal use you do encounter issues with things not syncing in a timely fashion, then it's definitely worth investigating, and we're here to help!

As a longtime Dropbox user, I've found 1Password.com to be a lot more efficient. That isn't a knock on Dropbox. It's a different kind of sync, since it's managing files. We've built 1Password.com expressly for this purpose — syncing 1Password data — and I think it shows.

And again, while it's certainly your prerogative to reset your browser, just keep in mind that there isn't any way around the fact that this will wipe out your saved Account Key as well, so that it needs to be entered again. When you do this, as far as 1Password.com knows, this is the first time you're logging in there, and on any new login, you should need to enter the Account Key. It's a crucial element in the security of your 1Password Account, since it is needed to decrypt the data. This is similar to how you'll need to login to Amazon and other sites fresh when you clear browser data: the "remember me" setting has been cleared.

Anyway, be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Have a great weekend! :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

OK brenty, now I'm just yanking your chain. I know you guys hate open posts, and if I respond you or another team member will have to come back and respond again!

Two things. First, I used to use a SweetP Mac app called Cookie, which lets you selectively choose which cookies to automatically delete vs. preserve. It has now evolved to Cookie 5, which I do not have. I may go back to it.

Second, I had a minor panic last night on my new Lenovo laptop - neither my local 1P nor my online 1P would recognize my password! I breathed slowly and checked one of my Macs, where the password worked fine. Although I had not realized it yet, the Lenovo does not have a light on the caps lock key. It only shows a caps lock or unlock icon on the laptop display, and it turned out my display driver was not up to date, so no icon was showing. You can see where this story is going ........

I'll stop posting now unless you guys say something really brilliant or insightful, or provocative, when you respond.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle,

OK brenty, now I'm just yanking your chain. I know you guys hate open posts, and if I respond you or another team member will have to come back and respond again!

Yep. It's a way for us to ensure we have replied to everyone by looking at the last post, if it is orange, we can move to the next thread.

. Although I had not realized it yet, the Lenovo does not have a light on the caps lock key. It only shows a caps lock or unlock icon on the laptop display, and it turned out my display driver was not up to date, so no icon was showing. You can see where this story is going

It happens to the best of us, I had the same concern at least twice a year and you'd think I'd learn by now but in that state, my mind doesn't think back to why it happened in the first place.

In a future update, we are going to add a cap-lock indicator to the lock view. We have this in 1Password 4 but it is not yet implemented in 1Password 6 for Windows.

I'll stop posting now unless you guys say something really brilliant or insightful, or provocative, when you respond.

We're here to help you, so always feel free to ask us any questions or if you need assistance with anything.

This discussion has been closed.