Switched to Families, how to get rid of Primary vault?

Options
Leomania
Leomania
Community Member

I've switched to using 1Password for Families. I imported my old vault using a 1pif file, then deleted the 1Password.agilebits directory from Dropbox. However, even after rebooting my Mac, I still see the "Primary" vault and it still has all of my logins, notes, etc. Where is 1Password getting this information from, and how can I get it to forget that the Primary vault even exists?

This seems to be the case on my Windows machine as well, which is why I'm asking here and not in the Mac forum.

Cheers,

• Leo

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:forget primary

Comments

• Leomania
    Leomania
    Community Member
    Options

I think 1Password was saving information in this directory on my Mac, including a local copy of the vault:

"~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4"

I saved a copy of the most recent 1Password backup zip file, then used AppCleaner to remove 1Password 6 from the computer. This also deleted the above directory; it did warn me about this which was nice to see. After re-installation and logging into 1Password, the old Primary vault is no longer present.

Perhaps there's a better way to do this that doesn't involve a full remove and reinstall of the app, but I can at least confirm that it works.

Leo

• Hi @Leomania! Sorry for the confusion. When you sync it, your Primary vault is stored in more than one place to keep it safe from accidental deletion. ;) The directory you mentioned in your second post is indeed where 1Password keeps its data. To delete your Primary vault, though, there's a much easier way: Once the vault is empty (you've moved your data to your account), switch to it and choose 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. Enter your Master Password and you're all set.

• Leomania
    Leomania
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jacob. I'll use this easier method going forward.

• Sounds good. :) We're here if you have some questions along the way.

This discussion has been closed.