Despite many hours spent trying how to figure 1 Password out, I am frustrated and ready to quit.

RandyBillmeier
RandyBillmeier
Community Member

My goodness. I'm just not able to negotiate the personal/family/ipad/iphone/computer 1-Password thing I was hoping would be part of getting more secure. I don't even know where to start to try to get this going. I forged ahead some weeks ago, added family sharing so my wife could share, and still it doesn't work for us. Is there someone I could actually talk with while I'm on the computer?
All this while, we're operating in ways that are not secure. I try reading the FAQs and think I'm making headway, then I go to the family section and can't run things from there. Am I salvageable, or is this a lost cause? I'd give up the initial fee I paid some time ago but would ask you to stop the monthly family fee. Feeling dejected and vulnerable. Anyone to actually talk with and help with what is probably now a mental block on my end? LMK. I've tried using this Ask a Question before, and it was helpful, just not enough to get us over the hump.
Thank you,
Randy

1Password Version: 1 Password 6 Version 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: I Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:Despite many hours spent trying how to figure 1 Password out, I am frustrated and ready to quit.

Comments

• Hi @RandyBillmeier! I'm glad you posted here before quitting. We are always happy to help. :) At the moment, we’re not able to offer phone or chat support. We have a lot of wonderful users and want to respond to them all personally, so our forum and Twitter are the best places to get help. Thanks for understanding.

First, to clear up how 1Password Families works, it's separate from the license you purchased a few years ago. We introduced family accounts at the beginning of this year, and they are paid with a subscription. Purchases made this year can be moved over to a family account, but since family accounts include a lot of features that weren't in 1Password before we introduced accounts, the upgrade is a paid subscription for most folks. You are welcome to use 1Password as you did before creating an account, but you will need to purchase a new license for your wife to share with her. That's why we introduced 1Password Families — to make all this simpler.

After you sign up for a family account, we recommend that you move your existing data over so you can share it with your family because when it's in the account, you can move it to vaults that are shared with your spouse and other family members.

So, if you have moved your existing data to your new family account, you're one step in! :sunglasses: If not, follow the link I just mentioned to move things over. Then, to start sharing with your wife, she needs to be a member of the family account. I don't want to mention any specifics of your account on this forum because it's a public place, so you're welcome to send us a message at support@1password.com if you'd like to discuss specifics. Just let us know if you do so we can connect the two threads.

To start sharing with your wife, simply move items into your family's Shared vault. You can also create new items in your Shared vault by default to automatically share all new items you create with her.

I don't want to overwhelm you, so let's leave it here for now. Please post any questions you have in this thread and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. :) Thanks for using 1Password.

• danielspils
    danielspils
    Community Member

HI Randy,

I feel your pain! I, too, was an early adopter of 1Password and switched from a personal to a Team account, and then to a Family account—all with the goal of sharing passwords with my wife. I've been at it for over a week now and it's insanely confusing. 1Password has been responsive in email, given me lots of detailed instructions and support, but I still can't figure it out. I'm at a coffee house on Sunday morning with the goal of finally figuring it out for me and my wife. It's been 2 hours. Still not there.

One other thing I noticed—I have a high tolerance for software updates (I update any software when prompted). I'm desperately trying to get my wife into the habit of using 1Password, but I notice she always dismisses the 1P software updates and says, "that happens all the time so I just ignore it." Oh boy. It's an uphill battle :-)

Good luck!

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danielspils! We'd be happy to help you out too any way we can, in a technical or even a conceptual capacity! Please feel free to ask any general questions you have here, and we'll do our best to answer them - or if you need to talk about specific details of your account, following up with our email support team is probably the way to go.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

• RandyBillmeier
    RandyBillmeier
    Community Member

Hi Jacob,
    Thank you for your reply. I'm trying again to get this going. So - I am on my Mac. I click on 1-Password from the bottom menu bar. I put in my password, and it opens up. This is the place I've been to countless times. In the main vault, there is my family item name. I click on that one, and the family app opens up. My wife is listed as a family member. Is this the way to get to the Family site? Isn't there a direct method, or do I have to always go to the Main, then click on the family site? Also - how do I move saved sites from the Main to the family app? By the way - it took me a long time to figure out that there is a data app (what I call the Main) and a family app. Goodness, the time I've wasted. Still can't figure out how to move or copy items from the Main to the family app. Also - some sites don't populate automatically when I click on them. Also - sites that work when clicked on in the main don't work the same in the family version. Jeezuz!
    Still not there, but little steps. I get to a spot, get completely frustrated, then take a WTF attitude. This stuff is not intuitive!
    Part of the problem is communicating a question. Seriously. There is a lot of flailing around. Should I delete all sites and start over?

• @RandyBillmeier Thanks for getting back to us. I'd be happy to clear that bit up. While it may seem like there are two apps, there's just one 1Password app on your computer. 1Password Families extends that app a bit, and you can access some of the features it includes in your browser. Most of them are in the app, though. When you open 1Password.com and sign in to your family account (or click the website in the 1Password app on your Mac, which opens it and fills your password), you'll be able to:

• Create and share vaults.
    • Invite family members by clicking your family name and choosing Admin Console -> Family Members.
    • Access all your items and vaults.

Learn more about what you can do on 1Password.com.

So, to get things moved to your family account, you'll need to sign in to your account in the app, then move your data over. We have a guide to help you get going:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you do that, you should be all set to share things with your family.

Also - some sites don't populate automatically when I click on them. Also - sites that work when clicked on in the main don't work the same in the family version. Jeezuz!

Clicking a Login's website on 1Password.com opens that site, but won't fill it since the browser extension does that. If things aren't filling, there are a few things to try to get that working again:

If the 1Password extension isn't working in your browser

Let us know how this goes. :)

This discussion has been closed.