Share to clipboard or other way to copy whole item card

Options
mishamsk
mishamsk
Community Member

Hi,

I've recently moved all personal documents to 1password (e.g. passport, driving license etc.). I've previously stored them in Evernote and it was very easy to select everything and send wherever I wanted. Now I do not see an easy option except sharing to mail app and copy-pasting from there.

Would be great to have more sharing options (plain text copy to clipboard at least) or just a way to copy everything and not just a password. Maybe be restricted to categories other than logins for additional security.

Keep up the great work you are doing. Looking forward to what coming next.

Mike

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1
Sync Type: 1pasword.com

Comments

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mike

Thanks for the suggestion!

I can definitely see how that would come in handy -- I would have used it myself on a number of occasions.

TJ

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi TJ

I am glad you've liked it. Does you answer mean that it is now under consideration by your product team and may well appear at some point of time in the future?;)

Mike

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mishamsk,

I don't know whether or not this is something our developers are thinking of implementing in a future release, but we're always happy to forward feature requests to them to at least let them know someone would be interested in it. That doesn't guarantee it will be added of course, but it helps us keep track of what sort of improvements our customers would like to see.

Just to make sure I understand, can you please elaborate on exactly what you'd like to be able to do with items in 1Password, and how you imagine a feature like that working? It sounds like you're referring to the options found in the Item > Share menu, which includes Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Print, and options to copy or move items to other vaults. Do you need to send information from your items to other people? And if so, do they also use 1Password? Or are you simply trying to copy item details to another app on your Mac?

Thanks! :)

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @Drew_AG,

Few examples when I need to share my document details: I send my passport number & issue dates to our back office to book a flight for me or I need to send my driving license details to my insurer etc.

I know that sending them in plain text is insecure and somewhat beats the purpose of storing them in 1password in the first place. However, I see 1p as a convenient place to store various personal documents and still more secure than arbitrary note taking app.

Most of the time the recipient won't use 1password. What I need is just an easy way to send all of the details at once instead of copying them one by one.

Share menu is just a possible solution, I am ok with any method you'll propose.

Regards,
    Mike

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @mishamsk! I see what you mean now. You don't necessarily need to copy/paste each field one at a time. For example, if you're sending that information to someone via email (and if you're using the Mail app on your Mac), you can select an item and choose Item > Share > Mail. That will create a new email message with all the details from that item in plain text (it also includes a link to add that info to 1Password, but you can delete that from the email if you want). It works the same way if you choose Messages instead of Mail.

If you aren't using the Mail or Messages app to send that information, you can choose Item > Share > Print and then save it to a PDF file instead of using a printer. You can send that PDF to someone via whatever method you prefer.

I hope these suggestions help, but we're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the detailed description of available options. I am not using Messages and Mail (I am more into Google ecosystem rather than Apple hence Gmail, telegram, hangouts etc.)

Btw Share > Mail also works with Gmail inside Chrome if it is set as default mail "app". However, it opens my default account (personal) while most of the times I need to use my Google for Business account + most of the times I would start typing an email and then copy the details somewhere in between. Also sharing via pdf seems to be less convenient than just copy pasting in case of a messenger app. It is also less secure, I can copy paste into Telegram secret chat with self-destruction timer, while pdf will stay on the recipient's machine until she deletes the file,

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Until changing Categories is available, this would also make it much easier to copy an item's contents fully into another item's notes section. From there, it is easy to move the data from notes to fields. This is much simpler than the recommended workaround of using mini and the main app to copy between fields.

I requested this fearure a few years ago, btw.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mishamsk, @MrC: While it's certainly something we can consider, I think it's unlikely that we go this route.

As pointed out initially, you can get the same result by copying the data using other methods. We actually removed most of these for a while because many people assume that this is secure. It isn't, and clearly you know that if you're using a secure channel to transmit sensitive information. But this isn't what most people do, and they trust 1Password to always be secure. Copying to the system clipboard where anything — including malware and clipboard managers — can access it really isn't.

That said, I won't say never. We really didn't think we'd be bringing back insecure sharing in any form, but if there's a lot of interest it may be possible. In the mean time though, there are other ways to transmit data. It's a slightly higher friction point, but in cases where the user is asking 1Password to do something insecure (think plaintext export) I think that a little friction is not such a bad thing.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@brenty,

I get your point about security. But AgileBits is again talking out of both sides of its collective mouth. We all know users are going to use the equally or more insecure workarounds, especially if suggested by AgileBits, such as, printing to PDF. Workarounds are fine, but when they are too painful or cumbersome, users always find alternate methods (or products). Copying all the details of a Credit Card, and creating all the labels, to share with someone via FAX or other is just painful. Instead, I'll copy a screenshot, a single operation.

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I see the point but why do not you disable all sharing options then? Sharing to mail as it is implemented now will also expose data to malicious software. Plus I doubt anything can be done to secure 1p data if a laptop is infected and especially if Android device is compromised.

It seems more valuable to raise general awareness (e.g. provide security prompts, ask for explicit opt-in for particular functions etc.) wherever complete security may not be enforced on your side. Copying to clipboard is one such thing since you'll have to keep this functionality until there going to be another way to input data for 99% of use cases...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: That's fair, and makes perfect sense. But honestly, if it were up to the security folks alone, we wouldn't have insecure sharing of any kind. I agree that the current compromise isn't ideal, probably from anyone's perspective — it is a compromise after all. I'm just not sure what the solution is here, so hopefully this dialogue can continue and provide insights that will lead somewhere better.

I think you probably have a unique perspective from your work on converting data, which is inherently in an insecure (plaintext) format. I know you mentioned that you've brought it up before, but what would your recommendation be today?

Your example of copying an item to another's Notes section would definitely be useful in some contexts, but it seems like that's still pretty cumbersome, and speaks to just one use case. It sounds like custom categories would be more useful there, and more helpful for a lot of others as well. I think that's worth exploring, but I don't want to get too far off of this topic. The screenshot suggestion seems easy and is at least no less secure than copying everything to the clipboard. Food for thought.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see the point but why do not you disable all sharing options then? Sharing to mail as it is implemented now will also expose data to malicious software.

@mishamsk: Honestly we have insecure sharing again because a lot of people told us they missed it when we removed it. So we added it back with a warning.

Plus I doubt anything can be done to secure 1p data if a laptop is infected and especially if Android device is compromised.

Excellent point!

It seems more valuable to raise general awareness (e.g. provide security prompts, ask for explicit opt-in for particular functions etc.) wherever complete security may not be enforced on your side. Copying to clipboard is one such thing since you'll have to keep this functionality until there going to be another way to input data for 99% of use cases...

I agree, but at the same time prompts are not really a much better user experience either. They're just plain annoying, and slows you down when you're trying to get something done, but it's something we consider. I just wish there were a solution either way that wasn't bad.

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

If you ask for other possible ways. I can think of at least two:
    1) Long and hard one: integrate 1p directly for export skipping clipboard altogether. It is basically the same stuff you've done for 1p extension on iOS. Unfortunately, from what I see on iOS, support among fellow developers are very very scarce...
    2) Provide sharing via seamless temporary guest access through 1password account. E.g. by pressing one button a special link is generated which anyone can use to access a temporary shared vault consisting of this one item and with open guest access which self-destructs upon timeout or a particular number of access attempts. Basically, the same way it is implemented in Dropbox and GDrive

There are also channels specific approaches, e.g. theoretically you can implement a bot for Telegram, Facebook Messenger, Google Allo (Google Assistant)...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@brenty - you asked for my recommendation / thoughts.

1Password is a password manager, not a larger scope security product. We purchase it to essentially better protect, hide our (semi-) secure data, make it easier to use online, but not to prevent us from using it they way we need to.

While it is very important that 1Password operate as securely as possible, it also must operate in a practical fashion. AgileBits keeps trying to prevent users from doing things that AgileBits deems inappropriate or "insecure*. But AgileBits often operates in a vacuum, an unnaturally simplistic world-view if you will, one divorced from the larger context of the real world, with its real world requirements.

For example, Credit Cards. These are inherently HIGHLY insecure devices. Several times a day, we give these financial instruments to complete strangers. This is the largest source of compromise to this very sensitive information. Yet AgileBits feels compelled to prevent me from copying the data to my personal system's clipboard because it feels the data is too sensitive, because my system might be infected with malware. This is like polishing a turd.

We can say similar things about an Identity. Let me copy / paste the entire Identity. There is nothing in there that cannot be quickly found by doing a Google search on me. And any infection I have most assuredly can read my Contacts.

Any my secure Notes: AgileBits suggests this is a general purpose, catch-all category where data may be private or just important (but not necessarily confidential). Surely I should be able to copy an entire entry in one shot (title, tags, notes content). Yet, AgileBits has adopted the simplistic, easy to implement approach of ALL or None. This isn't in the customer's best interest.

Or my Memberships - I hold medical insurance, etc. there, and routinely need to copy/paste the fields one by one, going back and forth, only to have to send it via email anyway, or print it out to bring to a physician's office.

AgileBits tends to operate in a restrictive world, one that imagines there is only the user, his/her computer or gadget, and the web. But we all live in the real world, and our 1Password held data is meant to be used or shared in real ways. Today, this occasionally still means printing, or copying / pasting, or sharing. But AgileBits feels compelled to prevent us from doing so, ignoring the real world requirements users have (i.e. Never Print - too dangerous, despite the requirements of seniors, their caretakers or end-of-life planning, Never Share - too insecure, despite the necessity of being able to to quickly share and transmit chunks of data to others, etc.).

You suggested that a PDF is no less secure - it is, far more. It is a real document, that gets saved to the filesystem, and users routinely forgot about these temporary documents, or save them in some location they can't recall (this is very common), or that get picked up by possibly insecure backups such as Time Machine for permanent insecure storage. There are simply more vectors of insecurity, and more steps involved, more complexity then the usually transient copy/paste (I'm ignoring clipboard managers, etc. since these are essentially fringe cases / users).

We're asking that AgileBits gives us the tools we need, AgileBits keeps responding by giving us the tools that prevent us from accidentally shooting ourselves in the foot by crippling the trigger when the gun is pointing downward.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1) Long and hard one: integrate 1p directly for export skipping clipboard altogether. It is basically the same stuff you've done for 1p extension on iOS. Unfortunately, from what I see on iOS, support among fellow developers are very very scarce...

@mishamsk: I think we've made some good inroads...but I suspect that a lot of that is due to the fact that we open sourced our iOS extension implementation, so we're not the only ones using it. But yeah, skipping the clipboard would be ideal, though I'd hate to only be able to offer that on one platform.

2) Provide sharing via seamless temporary guest access through 1password account. E.g. by pressing one button a special link is generated which anyone can use to access a temporary shared vault consisting of this one item and with open guest access which self-destructs upon timeout or a particular number of access attempts. Basically, the same way it is implemented in Dropbox and GDrive

That worries me because, while we have the server framework in place so that we may be able to do some sort of sharing thing in the future (I hope) the whole "timed self-destruct" thing can't be enforced cryptographically, and encryption is what 1Password's security is built on. Put another way, the keys I use to decrypt the data today will work tomorrow. So while it's possible to have the server say "no", if I already have a copy of the data and the keys I don't need to ask the server for it. So that's really just a "policy". Similarly, while we could have the server reencrypt to change the keys at a predetermined interval, then you don't really hold the keys to the data you're sharing with me yourself; the server does. Obviously there are other ways of doing something like this that we might try, we haven't yet found a way of doing this that isn't a terrible user experience — either due to poor ease of use, or the lies. Sharing with 1Password.com users belonging to our same Team or Family is both secure and easy because we effectively exchange public keys (not exactly, but the equivalent) with zero friction when the user is added. This is lovely, but I think it also makes it seem too easy, and we sometimes feel like "Why can't we share with anyone securely?" Unfortunately it's never that easy. :lol:

There are also channels specific approaches, e.g. theoretically you can implement a bot for Telegram, Facebook Messenger, Google Allo (Google Assistant)...

That sounds like something which could be done securely...but I wouldn't expect the average user to be comfortable doing that themselves or trusting someone else to do it for them. I love that these are three very different approaches though. Hopefully we can find a good secure item sharing solution that will be even easier than the insecure options we have now. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - you asked for my recommendation / thoughts. 1Password is a password manager, not a larger scope security product. We purchase it to essentially better protect, hide our (semi-) secure data, make it easier to use online, but not to prevent us from using it they way we need to.

@MrC: Absolutely.

While it is very important that 1Password operate as securely as possible, it also must operate in a practical fashion. AgileBits keeps trying to prevent users from doing things that AgileBits deems inappropriate or "insecure*. But AgileBits often operates in a vacuum, an unnaturally simplistic world-view if you will, one divorced from the larger context of the real world, with its real world requirements.

That's a fair criticism, even though I don't it's entirely accurate. I see where you're coming from. But honestly if we operated in a vacuum, we'd care a lot less (or at least be less aware) of the perception that we create with every decision we make. I know some folks may have something else in mind entirely when I talk about "perception", but here I'm not talking about unpopular choices

For example, Credit Cards. These are inherently HIGHLY insecure devices. Several times a day, we give these financial instruments to complete strangers. This is the largest source of compromise to this very sensitive information. Yet AgileBits feels compelled to prevent me from copying the data to my personal system's clipboard because it feels the data is too sensitive, because my system might be infected with malware. This is like polishing a turd.

While I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, you're absolutely right about credit cards. After all, unless it's used for debit transactions, I can pretty much throw my card out the window and call the bank and I won't be responsible for the charges. Still a huge pain, and potentially devastating short-term, but it's a problem with a solution already in place, true enough.

But I think it's important to keep in mind that 1Password doesn't make value judgements about your stored data, to say use "weak security" for some items and "strong security" for others. Doing so would be programmatically burdensome, and it would cause the user to have to stop and think which "security level" to set for each item, and worry that they'd set them all correctly. Instead, 1Password treats all of our data with the best security it has (with some concessions to over-the-shoulder privacy, such as masking fields).

After all, maybe I don't care too much if I accidentally paste my full credit card details into a Reddit thread, but I can bet you someone else might — if only because of the stress and hassle involved in canceling, fraud reporting, and updating card information when the new one comes.

We can say similar things about an Identity. Let me copy / paste the entire Identity. There is nothing in there that cannot be quickly found by doing a Google search on me. And any infection I have most assuredly can read my Contacts.

Again, that makes sense, but I think you and I come at this from a different perspective than a typical user, by virtue of the fact that we're heavily invested in 1Password to the point that we participate in discussions like this in the first place. I know a lot of people who would flip out in these sorts of cases. And I think those are the people that we need to think of the most, since super techy power users aren't the majority (and perhaps never will be).

Any my secure Notes: AgileBits suggests this is a general purpose, catch-all category where data may be private or just important (but not necessarily confidential). Surely I should be able to copy an entire entry in one shot (title, tags, notes content). Yet, AgileBits has adopted the simplistic, easy to implement approach of ALL or None. This isn't in the customer's best interest.

That's a really good point. I think a strong case can be made either way, and that's why we err on the side of security. I'm sure there's room for improvement, but it seems to me that copying and the accidentally pasting part of any item somewhere undesirable (email, Skype, etc.) is much better than pasting the whole thing. Secure Notes, as you noted, may be exceptional in some ways since the bulk of it is in a single field. But I'd much rather send a password or credit card number (without URL or expiration, respectively) to the wrong person accidentally than the contents of an entire item.

Or my Memberships - I hold medical insurance, etc. there, and routinely need to copy/paste the fields one by one, going back and forth, only to have to send it via email anyway, or print it out to bring to a physician's office.

That's an excellent example. I have an idea here, but I'll save that until the end.

AgileBits tends to operate in a restrictive world, one that imagines there is only the user, his/her computer or gadget, and the web. But we all live in the real world, and our 1Password held data is meant to be used or shared in real ways. Today, this occasionally still means printing, or copying / pasting, or sharing. But AgileBits feels compelled to prevent us from doing so, ignoring the real world requirements users have (i.e. Never Print - too dangerous, despite the requirements of seniors, their caretakers or end-of-life planning, Never Share - too insecure, despite the necessity of being able to to quickly share and transmit chunks of data to others, etc.).

With regard to printing, I think you may be right, going back to your original point about being in a "vacuum". I own a printer, but I'm looking forward to getting rid of it soon. I think I've used it once this year to print, though I use it slightly more often for scanning things so I can get rid of all the paper. I'm sure that I am not emblematic of everyone here at AgileBits, but it does seem that we're generally more paperless-inclined than perhaps others are. And I think it's fair to admit that this is reflected in the import/export/printing capabilities of 1Password. You probably have a better sense of those shortcomings than anyone in the world. It just isn't high on our priority list. But at the same time, apart from our own personal leanings, if we had loved ones and customers clambering for improvements in these areas, the priority is much higher. I'm not saying that there isn't interest, only that those we interact with daily are more interested in other things.

You suggested that a PDF is no less secure - it is, far more. It is a real document, that gets saved to the filesystem, and users routinely forgot about these temporary documents, or save them in some location they can't recall (this is very common), or that get picked up by possibly insecure backups such as Time Machine for permanent insecure storage. There are simply more vectors of insecurity, and more steps involved, more complexity then the usually transient copy/paste (I'm ignoring clipboard managers, etc. since these are essentially fringe cases / users).

As you point out, it really depends on the user. PDFs support encryption, but of course the user needs to know that and choose it. There are certainly a lot of factors to consider. While I agree with you that it's more complex an issue, it's also much harder to accidentally share a PDF with the wrong person than it is to paste some test and fire off an email. It's certainly happened to me.

We're asking that AgileBits gives us the tools we need, AgileBits keeps responding by giving us the tools that prevent us from accidentally shooting ourselves in the foot by crippling the trigger when the gun is pointing downward.

I feel like the "vacuum" argument cuts both ways. Certainly, we are each limited in our perspectives based on our own experience personally, with loved ones, and with other users. Ultimately we're responsible for considering those who don't have a voice in discussions like this, and there are a lot of them out there. I'm not saying we get it right. There's certainly room for improvement. I just think it's easy (and natural) to equate "this is the tool I need" with "this is the tool that everyone needs". And you bring up some good points that apply more broadly than even this discussion. I really appreciate you taking the time to share all of this.

But this is what I was thinking after your example above, with the Membership: What about a menu option to copy the whole thing, maybe similar to "Copy JSON", only without the JSON? What we really are after is not having people unknowingly copy an entire item's contents, forget about it, and paste it somewhere awful or have it gobbled up by another app. It seems like making it possible wouldn't be so bad if it's intentional. I can't promise anything here, but it's just something that popped into my head reading your thoughts. Let me know what you think. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options

@brenty,

I actually think many of your replies supported, not refuted, my case, that AgileBits is acting as Big Brother, preventing us from doing something silly. My argument was not about a vacuum (that was a supporting clause to the central point), it was about Big Brother. I think it is safe to say that both myself, and the OP, and thousands of others, want AgileBits to allow us to have you stop being Big Brother. Give us a simple option, off by default, that allows copying / pasting, printing, etc. as we see fit. Then you protect those who want to be protected, and allow the rest of us the rope we desire (even if it is to hang ourselves).

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, this one is heating up;)

Fist of all, I am not all opposed to the notion of BigBrother (as you call it) @MrC On the contrary, it is getting more relevant since I've added my non-tech-savvy wife into 1p world. It is quite a good idea to think for those who are not thinking themselves in terms of security of their own actions. If it is a question of choosing only one option, say, either have opt-in functionality to have copy-all button for some categories OR have additional "Big Brother" checks for non-power users I would go for the second.

If AgileBits doesn't have enough resources to implement features for both default behavior and implicit security as well as customizability for those who want it, as soon as it is communicated in a transparent and honest way, I am ok with it. The amount of time @brenty spends talking to us in this particular thread reassures me that there are reasons for how things are now and that AgileBits at least trying & making effort to adjust accordingly.

Now, regarding the issues with sharing @brenty outlined in response to my suggestions. I get your point of view. You are sticking to the approach of having no theoretical way to access the user's data. Even if law enforcements or some NSA-style data interception will come into to play, you'll be the good guys, cause there is no way to be bad here (you have no way to give access to the data user stores). You sacrifice a lot of features in the name of this goal. However, arguably, sometimes it is worth taking less restricted roads. I am not sure for Canada, but in case of many other countries, nothing can really stop authorities. If they won't be able to decrypt the data from your servers directly, they will just infect the software or the device itself and capture data on the other end. There are other, more simplier methods too;)

I think what really matters is to educate the masses, involve much bigger audience into a more secure way of storing and exchanging data. It may well be less than 100% secure, less secure than current solution but the convenience it brings will help spread the product. Which in turn will make the internet more secure as a whole. E.g. there is no way to implement secure server-side exchange between AgileBits and some service provider bypassing local devices completely. But it may well be much more secure to enable such login options in some places where most of the phones are vulnerable to viruses (e.g. India) and hence the current "local" approach is even more insecure.

Sorry for my English though, non-native;) Hope you'll get my points anyway.

Regards,
    Mike

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options

@mishamsk ,

Dave Teare, a founder of AgileBits just blogged about Big Brother - he's against it as am I. He summarizes with:

I know it’s tempting to give up some freedoms to allow someone else protect you, but whenever I feel that way I remind myself of what Benjamin Franklin would say:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "

Please forgive a Canadian for quoting one of America’s founding fathers, but Ben summed things up so well that I couldn’t resist.

And yet the very MO at AgileBits appears often to be at odds with this nicely articulated, well-reasoned commentary. Any time someone postures that they are doing something (I don't want) to protect me (from myself), I wince.

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC we are talking different cases. I am wholeheartedly against THAT kind of BigBrother stuff. This is obviously plain stupid and comes from the blinded people. I wasn't referring to Orwellian BigBrother in my post, I was saying that it is good to have someone who thinks about possible security holes in the way people use their tools and place some safety features around it. It helps with the masses who are not concerned about such issues as law enforcement, who vote for those people who install backdoors etc.

Sorry for the confusion, my bad.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options

No worries.

To me it's all the same - one "authority" deciding it knows best, usurping my rights, choices, or desires. Since I chose to use the Big Brother term, we have to go with my intended meaning.

It is simple enough to support optional behavior, disabled by default. This is commonplace in the software industry. Users keep clamoring for such choices, and in the end, AgileBits has had to back-peddle on some "security by elimination of features" choices. We had printing removed (or vehemently fought against), sharing removed (but finally restored), text-expander-like capabilities removed (due to secure input enabled everywhere as a monolithic gate). But users need these features, and my argument has been that they will find other far less secure means to do what they need anyway!

History has shown time and again - it is almost axiomatic - when you take away people's freedoms, rights, or choices, they will always find other (more harmful) workarounds.

I think I've said as much as I can about my position on this, so I'll bow out now, leaving the last words to others. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mishamsk: I agree that education is crucial. Unfortunately there are only so many of us...but that's why we're so grateful to have folks like you out there helping, in the forums and beyond. I think there are legitimately three distinct views in this conversation alone, and that's awesome! I'm really glad you brought this up. :)

@MrC: I wasn't trying to refute you or argue with you, merely to present another point of view. I agree wholeheartedly with your stance on Big Brother government, and that the blog post (and its context) is truly relevant in that regard. But they don't seem to apply to this conversation. I feel like between your legitimate desire for 1Password to better meet your needs and your righteous anger at privacy violations on the part of authorities, you're conflating design decisions in an app with a police state. I think that's a bit extreme and not really a fair comparison. The former is a tool you can use to make your life easier (password manager); the latter wants to use you as a tool to make their lives easier (law enforcement). And I feel strongly that if we confuse the two, it diminishes a much larger, more important issue. We have to make decisions about the design, and while you may not agree with all of those decisions, I don't think that raises this to the same level. A convenient way to copy an entire item (JSON notwithstanding) isn't a fundamental human right; privacy and security are. I'm glad we're having this discussion, but I think it's worlds different than the one we're having in the world at large. I understand this may feel the same, but if we're looking at it objectively there are significant differences. We really just don't have that kind of power. Should AgileBits ever have that kind of power? Perhaps not. Regardless, we aren't seeking it. This is an incredibly salient point though:

History has shown time and again - it is almost axiomatic - when you take away people's freedoms, rights, or choices, they will always find other (more harmful) workarounds.

And that's the reason why we spend a lot of time discussing things like this, both publicly and privately, because there is no clear-cut solution; we have to continue to evaluate things and try to strike the best balance. We can't have 1Password do everything for the user, so I don't think this is a matter of personal freedom. You can still do whatever you want, and just because we're not facilitating all of it doesn't mean we're robbing you of your freedom. But certainly we want 1Password to make people's lives easier. But one person's life is made easier by a feature because they understand the security ramifications, and another's is made harder because they don't. I think there's a middle ground somewhere between features, education, and caution. I'm certain we haven't found it exactly, and that's precisely why discussions like this are valuable. I think it's beneficial for all of us to push back and say "Wait a minute", instead of everyone taking a side, fortifying their position, and sitting on their little hill, alone.

The "Big Brother version" of 1Password would store your data and you'd have to ask to get it out — and perhaps be denied. We try to make it possible for people to secure their data, access it conveniently without "shooting themselves in the foot", and get it out when they need to. You can do all of that, but it isn't always as easy as you'd like. We believe that the user should be able to take an action with 1Password and take for granted that it is not putting their security, and that in cases where it could it needs to be clear. We're not perfect though, and there's always room for improvement. I understand this frustration, that this is a particular need 1Password does not fill, and that the way things work now isn't ideal for everyone. As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of other things we need to do as well that compete for our attention. But it sounds like a menu option (perhaps with a warning) to copy item details may be a compromise that could help people, so I've filed a report based on this discussion so we can consider it for a future version. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. :)

ref: OPM-4661

This discussion has been closed.