Apple Watch pin

bzeldin
bzeldin
Community Member

Since the 6.5 update today one password on my watch does not ask me for a four digit pin & I cannot find a way to set one up. Can anyone please help me?

Comments

• leongilner
    leongilner
    Community Member

Same here.

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member

Yes, I am having this problem as well.

Community Member

I'm the same

• Gerald76
    Gerald76
    Community Member

Same problem here - and even a force touch doesnt bring up the question if I want to lock it now:-(
    Before 6.5. this was possible!

• Hey Everyone! The new native watch app no longer requires its own PIN code. The system PIN can protect your watch's keychain. :)

• vickurc
    vickurc
    Community Member

It protects it so well, 1Password cannot use it.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Peri - please elaborate. Are you saying that the watch pin code now protects the data in 1P?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51: Great question! In fact, the Apple Watch passcode (and by extension the Keychain) has always protected 1Password data on your Apple Watch...but not everyone used one. So to keep it secure and convenient, 1Password now requires a single passcode on Apple Watch: the device passcode. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mario40
    mario40
    Community Member

I would like again beside the Apple code a second code to protect especially the 1Password items, stored in the Apple Watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mario40: As it stands all data stored on our Apple Watches is encrypted and stored securely in the Keychain. We could totally add additional layers of codes, but that's just more to remember and type (tap?), and would only be a placebo, since it wouldn't actually be encrypting your data. And as it stands, running our own crypto operations on the watch is not ideal due to power and performance limitations. But as watchOS and the Apple Watch line becomes more powerful, it's certainly something we'll continue to evaluate.

• mario40
    mario40
    Community Member

brenty, I understand and accept your point of view.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for understanding. I know it can be confusing and jarring when things change, but we want to make sure that your data — and ours — is secure, especially on such a small, expensive device that is just waiting to get lost or stolen. :blush:

• pimba
    pimba
    Community Member

I have 1Password on my Apple Watch, but I never use it as it requires a device pincode, which totally ruins the smooth experience I get from wearing an Apple Watch. I don't want to have to type a code everytime I use my Apple watch. Also I don't think my data outside of my 1Password data requires a pinlock to secure it. Could you guys please make a device pin optional and add another option to open 1Password on your watch with a 4 or 6 digit passcode? This way my data is secured like on my iPad or iPhone and it doesn't interfere with the experience of the rest of the watch. Now I've got an app on my watch that I don't want to use.

Love your software by the way,

Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have 1Password on my Apple Watch, but I never use it as it requires a device pincode, which totally ruins the smooth experience I get from wearing an Apple Watch. I don't want to have to type a code everytime I use my Apple watch.

@pimba: I don't, and I don't think you should have to either! This is a common misconception. I generally only have to enter my watch passcode about twice a day (after charging, since I've got an "old" model). It sounds like you just need to enable "Unlock with iPhone" (in iPhone Apple Watch app > Passcode). That makes all the difference. :sunglasses:

Also I don't think my data outside of my 1Password data requires a pinlock to secure it. Could you guys please make a device pin optional and add another option to open 1Password on your watch with a 4 or 6 digit passcode? This way my data is secured like on my iPad or iPhone and it doesn't interfere with the experience of the rest of the watch. Now I've got an app on my watch that I don't want to use. Love your software by the way, Cheers!?

Thanks for the kind words! We don't have any plans to add another passcode/PIN to 1Password for Apple Watch, but let me know if my suggestion above helps. Cheers!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.