Better use your Totem, you are in a dream!

gklimeck
gklimeck
Community Member

What level of inception are all operating in over there? Better use your totem because you are all in such a deep dream level. If you all are thinking that the new version of 1Password is anything to be excited about, think again.** End user intuitiveness** has left the planet. I am so confused about how to use the new version.

I am owner of 1Password since its inception (pun intended). I have it all, desktop apps for Mac and PC and IOS apps. They all share one vault Dropbox.

Well, I saw that you have version 6 and I upgraded. My thought process:

An Account Key? what's that? Oh maybe is my master password. No, that's being asked for below, hmm, whats an an Account key. Oh, look over here it says something about emergency kit, what that? Do this, do that, click here, Ok too much time wasted on this upgrade, ill come back later. I sure hope i can an access my passwords from the desktop app. O, its not seeing my vault, well, forget this ill use my iOS for now and come back later....O look I can sync to OneDrive, cool i'm gonna do it, well looks like my iphone cant sync to OneDrive. How many times am I going to click on this lock knowing it locks me out, dummy, click on the gear. Where did everything go! I give up.

Ok, i vented, i'll take a few steps back and move on to other matters while you all figure out how to help us all because I don't think I am the only one. You guys are geniuses with password safety, and the app is awesome but this release of 6 may have been done in an inception level too deep for me to grasp.

Looking for some clarifications and some help to keep my 1Password managed optimally,
-Gary

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Gary,

I think you're right. It took us a long time to come up with a First Run flow that we really liked, and I think that what we had at the end of version 5 on Mac and iOS was really good. Version 6, with the addition of 1Password.com started to complicate things there. With 6.5 (what I assume is what you used) on Mac, we tried something all-new. I'll be honest and say it's not going very well. There are some pain points which are now obvious in hindsight but we weren't seeing them during the design phase. We've tweaked the screens on iOS's version of 6.5 to avoid making some of the same mistakes and we're hopeful that it'll do better.

It's a little difficult to provide you with clarification without getting a better lay of the land so to speak of your existing setup. Probably the best way for us to help you with that is to have you email in to support@1password.com and explain to us what kinds of devices you're using, what you've been using to sync, etc... and we can surely figure this out for you.

I'm really sorry that those first run screens caused you as much trouble. We're here to help in any way that we can.

Rick

• gklimeck
    gklimeck
    Community Member

Thank for replying Rick,

I couldn't do what you all do. I do work with software but not in the design coding side, more customer facing sales support training.

I will send and email off to support@1password.com as you suggested to get the issue logged and cased.

Reading the forum here at agilebits, I am impressed with the openness and transparency of the company. It's important for a company to "Lead with Change" and courage and vulnerability is a step. I knowyou will figure it out.

LastPass, I tried it and I don't like it because its a subscription based application. I want to pay for software and be done with it. I believe that minor and major updates should be free whereas version upgrades may cost me, and I can also choose to stay in the version I have. I like options. I feel 1Password is providing me with those options and I am glad that you have entered into the Cloud subscription market but have allowed me to control where i store my Vaults.

Evernote, I am sure you have heard of their current mess. You may even use their software, I did and then I moved to OneNote.
    Evernote was such an awesome idea and it took off and the market ran with it. Then they took their eye off the game ball "Note Management" and made very poor choices and it has cost them dearly. Evernote is a case study for all startups of what not to do.

ttyl,
    Gary

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I will send and email off to support@1password.com as you suggested to get the issue logged and cased.

@gklimeck: I see that we've received your email, so I'll reply there shortly as well to help you get things straightened out. But I did want to reply here as well so we can keep things focused there, and in case it helps you or anyone else.

Reading the forum here at agilebits, I am impressed with the openness and transparency of the company. It's important for a company to "Lead with Change" and courage and vulnerability is a step. I knowyou will figure it out.

That's really kind of you, especially if you're not a fan of subscriptions. We've tried to strike a good balance, offering something we couldn't before without leaving you or the rest of our awesome customers behind. We're not perfect though, and there's plenty of room for improvement, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us here.

LastPass, I tried it and I don't like it because its a subscription based application. I want to pay for software and be done with it. I believe that minor and major updates should be free whereas version upgrades may cost me, and I can also choose to stay in the version I have. I like options. I feel 1Password is providing me with those options and I am glad that you have entered into the Cloud subscription market but have allowed me to control where i store my Vaults.

Indeed, we're really happy to be able to offer licenses to folks who prefer them. After all, that's where we've developed great relationships with 1Password users over the past 10 year, and we don't want to turn our back on those who have supported us all along because they prefer to use local vaults and sync their own data.

Evernote, I am sure you have heard of their current mess. You may even use their software, I did and then I moved to OneNote. Evernote was such an awesome idea and it took off and the market ran with it. Then they took their eye off the game ball "Note Management" and made very poor choices and it has cost them dearly. Evernote is a case study for all startups of what not to do.

Now this I can relate to, but not in the way you might think. Your comments above about 1Password 6 reminds me of the OneNote experience I've been having: kind of amazing, yet baffling at the same time. I'll keep at it though, and maybe we can converge at some point — you with 1Password 6, I with OneNote. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.