Features and fixes

Anilo
Anilo
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Streamlined interface:

• In Mac is Banks category and Credit card category (preferred)
  • In Win is Wallet (credit cards+banks)

• Rich icons are somehow not compatible with windows Rich icons - related to folder syncing. If I update in Mac they will disappear or not show on PC and vice versa.

• Make custom icons for other Credit Cards like Visa Electron, Maestro, etc.

• Compare two vaults. I have desynced two 1password vaults with each over 300 logins. I don't have where I deleted what, what is updated, changed, what is newest and what is older. Wizard would be helpful.

• feature request: Sync multiple devices over wifi!

• User custom templates for categories

• add sync to google drive; iPhone has its iCloud with mac, windows nothing.

• I use both, so I need one place not fragmented all over the place. Or best just make custom repository, for example, sftp or https for owncloud, nextcloud, etc

1Password Version: All of them
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Anilo,

Thanks for writing in with your list of suggestions.

I'm not sure if you've seen it but we're working on 1Password 6 for Windows that will address most of your feedback. It's not available as an effective upgrade to 1Password 4 yet but it will be better. You can get a sneak peek here.

In Win is Wallet (credit cards+banks)

Go to the View Menu to deselect both Accounts and Wallet, this will match the sidebar against the macOS version of 1Password 6.

Rich icons are somehow not compatible with windows Rich icons - related to folder syncing. If I update in Mac they will disappear or not show on PC and vice versa.

Rich Icons are stored on our own Rich Icons server, each 1Password app downloads the icons from the server. The problem right now is that 1Password 4 has different sizes from the macOS app and that can cause issues where our server doesn't have an available icon, so 1Password 4 falls back to downloading the favicon from the site instead.

This will be much better in 1Password 6 for Windows once implemented wth the same design as the macOS version.

Just to be clear, Rich Icons are not stored in your data folder, it is downloaded on the fly on each device. So, when you make a change in the macOS version, 1Password 4 for Windows has to check against the server again to see if there's an available Rich Icon or if there isn't any icon available, it will fall back to the favicon or the default category icon.

Make custom icons for other Credit Cards like Visa Electron, Maestro, etc.

This is coming in a future update to 1Password 6.

Compare two vaults. I have desynced two 1password vaults with each over 300 logins. I don't have where I deleted what, what is updated, changed, what is newest and what is older. Wizard would be helpful.

Neither does 1Password, there's no way to verify what you've done. Two separate vaults have different random IDs for each item, they're not meant to be identical because each vault and item has its own encryption key.

Do you mean you have two copies of the same vault that you were originally syncing and it stopped? If so, you may be able to export and import the data, 1Password wouldn't import any duplicated items through this method by comparing the item's UUID and then its timestamps.

feature request: Sync multiple devices over wifi!

Do you mean multiple computers or just mobile devices? 1Password does support syncing to multiple Android/IOS devices via Wi-Fi, it just can't sync to another computer.

User custom templates for categories

We're looking into it, we have it available as a beta feature for 1Password.com Teams right now and we're hoping to expand that over time.

add sync to google drive; iPhone has its iCloud with Mac, windows nothing.

1Password 6 supports OneDrive and Folder Sync, so you could sync to a folder in Google Drive and have it synced to the Android version with the same Folder Sync feature.

However, we're working and improving our own cloud solution in 1Password.com service, this is available in all 1Password apps and in the subscription, you get access to all 1Password apps and all of its future upgrades as well as the ability to share data effortless with your family members, coworkers and friends/guests.

I use both, so I need one place not fragmented all over the place. Or best just make custom repository, for example, sftp or https for owncloud, nextcloud, etc

The desktop and Android versions of 1Password let you store the data folder in any cloud folder you want to use via Folder Sync. The biggest limitation is iOS, it doesn't have a user-accessible file system to allow for this, so we have to add custom APIs within the app itself. We are looking into expanding the number of sync services we support but for the moment, we're focused on 1Password.com.

• Anilo
    Anilo
    Community Member

Thanks for replies @MikeT!

you made me happy today.

It's not available as an effective upgrade to 1Password 4 ...

I bought Password 4 lately, this means that I would need to buy 1Password 6, as new again? I saw the UI design from link, much better tho :)

Go to the View Menu to deselect both Accounts and Wallet, this will match the sidebar against the MacOS version of 1Password 6.

It worked, thanks!

Just to be clear, Rich Icons are not stored in your data folder...

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the explanation.

This is coming in a future update to 1Password 6.

Perfect:)

Do you mean you have two copies of the same vault that you were originally syncing and it stopped?...

Yes I using 1Password on Mac and Windows with iPad and iPhone, and in some point of time when I reinstalled something I ended with two different versions of a vault, but I also removed some obsolete logins from each, will they merge again? Or vault know what was historically deleted to not include that back?

Do you mean multiple computers or just mobile devices? 1Password does support syncing to multiple Android/IOS devices via Wi-Fi, it just can't sync to another computer.

Oh yeah, wrongly written, I use MacOS(browsing) and Windows (gaming, watching) at home and Windows at Work, between these I fully mobile with Iphone and Ipad, where I do browsing as well. Normally I am syncing only to MacOS (for the convenience of iTunes ) etc. over wifi because Windows don't have sufficient way how to do it. From Mac, I syncing to Windows over Resilio Sync Pro (https://www.resilio.com/) and to work as well. I found this as more useful than built-in function in 1Password, for versioning and overall it will find a way how to sync that over distances.
    But still I fully depend on syncing only to Mac at home, so if I'm not at home, I'm left with obsolete DB for my mobile devices, and I do a lot of travel, so this bothers me.

User custom templates for categories

Will it find a way also for desktop applications?

1Password 6 supports OneDrive

I'm not that familiar with this one. Is it subscription service from MS or it's free to some extent? Or more importantly, it will be available across all 1Passwords also for iOS/Mac/Win? Beacuse this what's prevents me using iCloud, that is not in each 1Password App (Windows).
    OneDrive is more convenient than Google Drive? I think Gmail and Google free services is more wildly used than OneDrive, odd decision.

. The biggest limitation is iOS, it doesn't have a user-accessible file system

I'm using for example application Documents by Readdle on iOS? That support syncing files over many cloud solutions (Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, Onedrive), Protocols from SMB, FTP, SFTP, Webdav and some more for accessing files, and letting download and upload files in iOS app itself. So when I am updating 1Password, it's creating DB input from a file rather than transferring a file? Maybe some solution would be as same app and many other apps create local server from App itself accessible from PC (they called that wifi Drive in settings and I can upload or download any file from/to PC/App through WebUI of browser) And maybe if a mobile app would be the main creator of 1Password vault, not a PC or Mac it could be effective link between them cause it's mobile/more personal and can manage what was synced or not where. Now it's more like a slave for one chosen device. If it makes, it sense.

• Hi @Anilo,

I bought Password 4 lately, this means that I would need to buy 1Password 6, as new again? I saw the UI design from link, much better tho :)

New license, no but an upgrade license, yes and we don't know if it will be free or paid yet. We plan to offer more details soon.

If you want to switch to 1Password.com service instead which comes with all apps and its future upgrades included in the fees, we can work with you to convert the recent purchase over to the subscription fee instead but it does depend on how recent your purchase it.

..., but I also removed some obsolete logins from each, will they merge again? Or vault know what was historically deleted to not include that back?

1Password will import them as trashed items just like they are trashed now. However, if you've emptied the trash, they won't be included in the export file.

What you can do is this: backup the current vault, so that if the export/import didn't work out well, you can easily revert to the backup. We'd be happy to walk you through this if you want to give it a try.

From Mac, I syncing to Windows over Resilio Sync Pro (https://www.resilio.com/) and to work as well. I found this as more useful than built-in function in 1Password, for versioning and overall it will find a way how to sync that over distances. But still I fully depend on syncing only to Mac at home, so if I'm not at home, I'm left with obsolete DB for my mobile devices, and I do a lot of travel, so this bothers me.

I do understand and that works best with a persistent truth server that you can access at all time, which is where the cloud sync is best at.
    Right now, for all three platforms you're using, we only have two supported options: 1Password.com service and Dropbox. We'd like to add Google Drive and OneDrive in the future, maybe some private NAS options as well that may let you use VPN into your home network to sync.

Will it find a way also for desktop applications?

If you mean to local vaults, we don't know yet. It's all experimental at the moment to see what's possible.

If you mean if it becomes available to 1Password.com for everyone, then it would automatically sync to all 1Password apps. Basically, how it works now is that you customize a template on the 1Password.com web site and that template is then sent to all 1Password apps to use.

I'm not that familiar with this one. Is it subscription service from MS or it's free to some extent? Or more importantly, it will be available across all 1Passwords also for iOS/Mac/Win?

OneDrive is to Microsoft as what iCloud is to Apple and Google Drive to Google. I agree, it's a bit...confusing. That's why we're doing our own cloud solution and take it out of the equation, so that you only need to know your 1Password.com account information and as soon as you sign in, your 1Password data is ready to go. Plus if you can't install 1Password, you can access it on the 1Password.com web site.

Since 1Password for Windows uses Microsoft technologies, it makes sense to use its cloud service as well. OneDrive has free and paid options.

We hope to add it to iOS and that's true for Google Drive, since 1Password for Android supports it...because again, it's an Android app using Google's API and it makes sense to use its cloud services too.

I'm using for example application Documents by Readdle on iOS? That support syncing files over many cloud solutions (Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, Onedrive), Protocols from SMB, FTP, SFTP, Webdav and some more for accessing files, and letting download and upload files in iOS app itself.

Documents is an awesome app. However, what they're doing is something we can't take advantage of, they're constantly working on these protocols and building them into the app which stores the data into its own sandboxed container. However, that's not something that comes available for any apps on iOS platform. We have to do the same thing they're doing and we can't take advantage of the data stored in Documents and update data in real time, which is what the user-accessible file system is about and how Folder Sync works. Each app is sandboxed and you can't read/write to other folders.

These FTP/SFTP/etc protocols are not meant for syncing data in both directions, they're more for copying them one way and replacing the other copy when you make a change. The cloud services API allows us to send a request to see if there are files to be updated. FTP doesn't tell us that, it returns the whole list of files and we have to manually do everything ourselves. We've supported WebDAV in the past and it was a nightmare to work with.

We may be able to add these protocols in the future, it just requires more work than we can spare at the moment.

Maybe some solution would be as same app and many other apps create local server from App itself accessible from PC (they called that wifi Drive in settings and I can upload or download any file from/to PC/App through WebUI of browser) And maybe if a mobile app would be the main creator of 1Password vault, not a PC or Mac it could be effective link between them cause it's mobile/more personal and can manage what was synced or not where. Now it's more like a slave for one chosen device. If it makes, it sense.

That's the Wi-Fi sync is in 1Password, the iOS app acts as a truth server but without the iOS app in the mix, both Mac and Windows can't sync to each other because they're both slaves, not to mention they both have different systems. Trying to do master/slave in the same app is difficult to maintain.

We had a Wi-Fi server built into the iOS app in the past, it was problematic because of the network variables, especially at work where companies have different network rules in place.

• Anilo
    Anilo
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks @MikeT,

I did a little research around 1Password since I bought it on end of January at least for windows and I see that lot of changed for better since.
    Desktop macOS and Windows license were merged into one (that was smart), and some changes around family and private cloud solutions. More and more despite all, I'm leaning towards 1password.com, not that much because of the cloud solution, that it's hassle-free, but it's not giving me peace of mind either.
    I like the self-hosted solution because of possibility for smaller vector attack; it's not efficient or satisfying to make DDoS attack towards some minor family private NAS/home server etc.
    Also, cloud-free-public-free solution giving one big step to not giving data as security measurement. And also peace of mind that if you bought something it's yours and you didn't lose it, that's where a lot of subscriptions fall in short in value.
    There is where a stand-alone license has its strength you don't need every year buy 1Password or Photoshop, you can use it freely, but you will not receive further updates, that is a fair deal. What I found intriguing about 1Password is that subscription is quite close to standalone license per year for the latest version for every platform. And I want the most recent version for my password management at least for security fixes. (That's why I moved from cloud-solution LastPass (horribly hacked service with horrible UI) to self-hosted 1Password and I fall in love with it even with hassling over WiFi, which is fine... if the same sync service would be available on every device.

But what I like about 1Password.com is the idea to have a centralised family solution.

So I have few questions and maybe feature tips about that.

• For now maybe I will try out 1Password.com for one person, can I later convert that into family account or add that account to new family account?
    • Would be fairer to have family charged based on "family members"? Now there is a cap for five members which is enough but if a family have six members? One member will be excluded as not part of "our family?" I would like to convert my whole family into our private server. That's me and my brother(less techy) and our wives and our and their children. As Family "imperium" under one name. We don't change surname we just getting bigger :)
    • One Person account have 1GB storage and family account with five members shares that 1GB as well or every member have its 1GB? (this would be interesting to store also documents, pdf-scans in 1Password not just logins and simple text data) like, legacy Knox?
    • If with subscription plan also is hand in hand the the latest version of 1Password for every device. If for whatever circumstances in future (I will be dead broke, or dead ) and I will no prolong subscription. 1Password Application would convert to latest standalone available during paid subscription. Also, it would not receive further updates or access more than read only to 1Password.com, but would it work as it today, self-hosted? (This would be awesome and totally hands-down beat the option not to subscribe to 1Password.com), because I would like to upgrade even standalone each year and for the same money I can just choose if I would like to use 1Password.com or not. And other sync options just would give me extra security feeling that at least I distributed risk to my home server or Google, Microsoft, Apple, 1Password, etc.

This could give maybe the option to use or not to use 1Password.com for each family member and maybe even to enterprises/teams? Which sometimes still need to be cloud-free or have their private cloud as well.
    Sort of how Atlassian licensing for JIRA or Confluence working now subscription is more in support and future/feature updates. But you are free to host older or current version if you once paid for them.

Documents is an awesome app. However, what they're doing is something we can't take advantage of...

I see how tricky iOS for developing such services is and yeah if you would like to be cross platform you ned do everything cross-platform. But I see that you gave a thought about all that Wifi server/WebDAV(nightmare - agree:)
    Android for Google, iCloud for iOS and OneCloud for Windows and bring them all together, I agree that sometimes is just easier just to develop your own solution, but it's not always the best approach. Because that's the approach of "Oh there is so many services out there, so let's bring a new one!", that's how this mess started :)
    I can't wait to try 1Password.com and 1Password 6 also for Windows and now thinking about how to get it "correctly" :)

PS: you are great support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Desktop macOS and Windows license were merged into one (that was smart)

@Anilo: Haha thank you! I can't take credit for that, but I agree. And I got a kick out of that since I think you're the first person to say so. Most people just expect to be able to use it on all of their computers anyway, so it doesn't jump at at most people as "smart"; it just seems obvious. :)

For now maybe I will try out 1Password.com for one person, can I later convert that into family account or add that account to new family account?

Yes! That's actually a great way to do it, since that will give you chance to familiarize yourself with 1Password.com first. And if and when you decide to add the family, just click the menu in the upper right and select "Invite".

Would be fairer to have family charged based on "family members"? Now there is a cap for five members which is enough but if a family have six members? One member will be excluded as not part of "our family?" I would like to convert my whole family into our private server. That's me and my brother(less techy) and our wives and our and their children. As Family "imperium" under one name. We don't change surname we just getting bigger :)

Haha nice! There isn't a cap though, so go all in. You get 5 included in the subscription plan, and then each additional member (6 and so on) is an additional dollar per month.

One Person account have 1GB storage and family account with five members shares that 1GB as well or every member have its 1GB? (this would be interesting to store also documents, pdf-scans in 1Password not just logins and simple text data) like, legacy Knox?

I don't think that 1Password.com is quite a replacement for Knox (I store some huge files there), but the storage is per user, rather than shared.

If with subscription plan also is hand in hand the the latest version of 1Password for every device. If for whatever circumstances in future (I will be dead broke, or dead ) and I will no prolong subscription. 1Password Application would convert to latest standalone available during paid subscription. Also, it would not receive further updates or access more than read only to 1Password.com, but would it work as it today, self-hosted? (This would be awesome and totally hands-down beat the option not to subscribe to 1Password.com), because I would like to upgrade even standalone each year and for the same money I can just choose if I would like to use 1Password.com or not. And other sync options just would give me extra security feeling that at least I distributed risk to my home server or Google, Microsoft, Apple, 1Password, etc.

This could give maybe the option to use or not to use 1Password.com for each family member and maybe even to enterprises/teams? Which sometimes still need to be cloud-free or have their private cloud as well. Sort of how Atlassian licensing for JIRA or Confluence working now subscription is more in support and future/feature updates. But you are free to host older or current version if you once paid for them.

I'm not sure I follow completely, but it sounds like you're suggesting that, after subscribing to 1Password.com for a time, it would be nice to "unlock" a license that you could keep even if you unsubscribe. While that certainly is an interesting idea and something we can consider, I wonder if that might be an incentive for you to end your subscriptions. I think we'd rather find ways to make sure that you continue to get more value out of your subscription.

But to be clear, it is totally possible to subscribe and not store your data on 1Password.com. You get access to all of the apps after all, and while I think that not using 1Password.com forfeits some great benefits (automatic offsite backup, web access, simple sync, and easy sharing, to name a few), I know there are some folks out there who just want the subscription because it's cheaper and simpler than buying and managing a bunch of licenses.

Documents is an awesome app. However, what they're doing is something we can't take advantage of... I see how tricky iOS for developing such services is and yeah if you would like to be cross platform you ned do everything cross-platform. But I see that you gave a thought about all that Wifi server/WebDAV(nightmare - agree:)

:lol:

Android for Google, iCloud for iOS and OneCloud for Windows and bring them all together, I agree that sometimes is just easier just to develop your own solution, but it's not always the best approach. Because that's the approach of "Oh there is so many services out there, so let's bring a new one!", that's how this mess started :)

Agreed. 100%. It's really awesome that we've been able to offer multiple sync options for years, and that there's so much competition in that space now, and as a nerd I love tinkering with this stuff...but most people really, really don't want to, and frankly there isn't a lot we can do to resolve sync issues for our customers when 3rd party APIs and servers are involved. We help any way that we can, but over time it became clear that we could do the most good by tackling this problem ourselves. We're not perfect, but if it breaks, we're at least in a position to fix it.

I can't wait to try 1Password.com and 1Password 6 also for Windows and now thinking about how to get it "correctly" :)

That's exciting to hear! I can't wait to hear what you think, and be sure to let us know if there are any other questions we can answer for you, or other things we can help with. :chuffed:

PS: you are great support!

Well, you're a great customer, and a fantastic feedback benefactor. So let's call it even. ;)

This discussion has been closed.