When I sync to my Primary vault w/ DB & merge existing vaults it overrides it with Team vault data

Options
lemonerika
lemonerika
Community Member

I have both a Primary (free) and Team account but recently noticed that the Primary vault on my Mac was not syncing to my other devices. This may have happened after I restored some files recently OR upon changing the password hint on my account, or neither – not 100% sure as I just noticed. Upon further investigating and reviewing syncing inside 1P Preferences I noticed none of my vaults were syncing to DropBox, hence the reason why I wasn't seeing new items sync on my other devices. I then followed the steps to sync with DB once more but got the following message "1Password detected that the data in the Primary Vault is different from the data you selected in Dropbox" It then list the 'Primary current vault' and 'Vault found in Dropbox' (but with different password hints, sitenote: when I did update the hint months ago I kept the same pw). Upon proceeding and merging the vaults the amount of items on my Primary vault gets reduced as it appears whatever is in DB is not the most up to date and overrides it. I understand that when you merge vaults this should not happen so something else must be the issue? Luckily I was able to revert to the latest backup once again which contains all my items but cannot sync with DB as it appears to override my Primary vault when I do. I suspect the 1Password.agilekeychain in my DB only contains the Team data as that appears to be syncing just fine. Lastly, When I checked the Accounts inside 1P Preferences, I noticed I am only signed on to my Team account and the Primary Vault doesn't appear here. If I try to add the Primary vault is asks me for the account key and primary email etc but i never set this up as this was the free account before 1P set up team accounts etc.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lemonerika,

I'm sorry you're having some difficulty with 1Password! But don't worry, I can definitely help you get this all straightened out.

...the Primary vault on my Mac was not syncing to my other devices. This may have happened after I restored some files recently OR upon changing the password hint on my account, or neither...

When you say you restored some files, did you by any chance restore 1Password on your Mac from one of the backups listed in Preferences > Backup? If so, that would have disabled the sync settings. But it also could have been disabled if for some reason 1Password wasn't able to find the .agilekeychain sync file in your Dropbox folder.

Either way, you did the right thing by re-enabling sync with Dropbox for that vault, but it sounds like something went wrong:

Upon proceeding and merging the vaults the amount of items on my Primary vault gets reduced as it appears whatever is in DB is not the most up to date and overrides it. I understand that when you merge vaults this should not happen so something else must be the issue?

You're right - that definitely shouldn't have happened! That's very strange, but I'm glad you were able to restore your latest data from a backup. To make sure that doesn't happen again, you can delete that .agilekeychain file from Dropbox, and then when you sync your Primary vault with Dropbox again, it will create a brand new sync file there, which will be a copy of what's currently in your Primary vault.

After that, if you have other devices that had been syncing with the old .agilekeychain file, they'll stop syncing and give you an error because they can no longer find it in your Dropbox account (that's expected). All you need to do is re-enable sync for that vault on those devices and choose the new sync file.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that! :)

I suspect the 1Password.agilekeychain in my DB only contains the Team data as that appears to be syncing just fine.

Your 1Password Teams account doesn't actually sync with Dropbox at all. Instead, the data in your Teams account (like the data in all 1Password.com accounts) automatically syncs through our own 1Password.com servers (and it doesn't use a .agilekeychain file to do that).

The Primary vault, however, is not part of your 1Password Teams account - it's a separate vault that only exists locally on a device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a sync option such as iCloud or Dropbox. So the .agilekeychain file in your Dropbox folder would only have been used for syncing a local vault (such as your Primary vault),

Sorry for any confusion about that!

Lastly, When I checked the Accounts inside 1P Preferences, I noticed I am only signed on to my Team account and the Primary Vault doesn't appear here. If I try to add the Primary vault is asks me for the account key and primary email etc but i never set this up as this was the free account before 1P set up team accounts etc.

The Accounts tab in Preferences only shows 1Password.com accounts that you've added to the 1Password app. The Primary vault is a 'local' vault - it isn't part of your Teams account or any other 1Password.com account, so it isn't hosted on our own servers (which also means you won't see the Primary vault when you sign into your account on 1Password.com).

Your Primary vault will be listed on the Sync tab in Preferences, which is where you configure sync settings for local vaults. Your account vaults won't appear on the Sync tab because there are no sync settings to configure for 1Password.com accounts (as I mentioned above, your account data automatically syncs via our own servers).

I hope this helps to explain the difference between local vaults (like Primary) and your account vaults. If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• lemonerika
    lemonerika
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I was able to delete the agilekeychain file from Dropbox, and create a brand new sync file in there. And I did get that error msg on my iPhone saying it's unable to sync. However, when I attempt to sync to the correct agilekeychain file in DB now from my iPhone, it prompts me to merge the vaults but detects a discrepancy in vaults. When I proceed. It merges the vaults but it then reduces the amount of items in my Desktop vault as well. Same issue that was happening initially but on my desktop. I think I need to just start from scratch and re-install the Primary vault on my iPhone so it syncs to the correct primary vault in DB without deleting anything. How do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lemonerika: I agree. That sounds like the best thing. You'll have a clean slate with the same vault on all of your devices. I may be missing something, but it isn't clear to me where the "canonical", "main" local vault you want to be using going forward is located, but this should give you a general idea of how to proceed nevertheless:

1. Backup your main vault (the one you want to keep and use everywhere) and make sure you have your 1Password.com Emergency Kit
    2. Disable sync on all of your devices
    3. Delete any vaults stored in Dropbox (unless you have some others there for other purposes besides what we're working on here)
    4. Reset 1Password on each device
    5. Setup sync for your main vault
    6. Setup your other devices to sync with that same vault (note: this will probably be 1Password.opvault now)
    7. Login to your 1Password.com Account on each device

The should do it. Be sure to let me know how it turns out, or if you have any questions!

• lemonerika
    lemonerika
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, I followed the steps and it all worked out!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news! On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome. I'm glad that took care of the problem!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.