To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Feature / Product Request - Emergency Access or Event of death

Options
rotax
rotax
Community Member

This may seem morbid, but I feel this would have significant utility for customers. The use case is I have become medically unavailable to manage my affairs or I have died. The people I have designated in my will, or legally be default will need to manage my bank accounts and and potentially many other things to maintain my affairs or my estate. 1Password would allow me to designate people who would do this and select all the items in my vault they would each have access to on an individual basis. I could designate 1 or many people. If I designate more than 1 person they both must upon attempting to open the vault assert that they feel I am medically unable to manage my affairs, or confirm my death. This could include an attorney, etc. I can select who out of the total must concur with the assertion of the first. My vault would be notified of these actions as alerts. The designees would need to have the app and a vault of their own even if blank and their password would be used to open my vault after affirming my state. It would tell them that other designees have been notified to confirm my state and action of the user. The other required designees would be displayed only after asserting the my state and entering a password which would notify my vault, otherwise the designees would not know who everyone is that are required to unlock the vault.

As I maintain the data in my vault, the data is synced to their copies or to the cloud which ultimately would give them access which is the beauty of it because this info changes so often these days that writing these things down on paper and sealing them is useless in a short time. I get to designate what is shared to each person in the event of my situation so I do not have to share everything to everyone, which still maintains my privacy and the utility to use 1Password for everything I do.

Another use case would be to set a single password and weblink to the vault for sharing designated items that is given to an attorney as a part of a will / living will scenario that they would then provide for the family that would give them access to the items I designate. This would also involve cloud storage of the vault and syncing updated items to account for those not having access to my computer or devices in the situation.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @rotax! Thanks for asking about this. 1Password users are indeed interested in it, and it's something we're looking to improve as well. For now we simply recommend printing an extra copy of your Emergency Kit, writing your Master Password in it, and giving it to the designees so they have all the information they need to access your accounts if something happens. It's a basic approach and has its downsides, but that's what I'd recommend right now.

Another option would be to create a family account, invite the designees there, and store all your passwords in a vault which is shared with them. They will have access to it all the time, so if you'd prefer they just have access when in the event of an emergency, it may be a good idea to put your Emergency Kit in your will.

I'll let the team know you're looking for something a bit better down the road. :) Hope this helps.

ref: B5-1138

This discussion has been closed.