Account key needed when on the go?

Options
htrouser
htrouser
Community Member

A quick question: Am I right that if I'm traveling and need to access 1Password in a browser I will need the account key as well as my master password? I'm pretty sure this is the case from reading the support articles, but want to make sure. I used to use 1PasswordAnywhere, and it seems like Families is now the replacement for web access. However, presumably I would then need to carry a copy of my key with me. Is there any alternative to doing that?. Obviously I can also use my phone, but I'm concerned about a situation where, say, my phone and laptop are stolen when traveling. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @htrouser! Indeed. Your Account Key works with your Master Password to encrypt your data, so to access it you need both at hand. I personally travel a bunch — I did a city a week in Europe for three months this autumn — and keep a copy of my Account Key in my wallet just in case. It was printed nicely and is tucked in the coin pocket which I never use. I have an iPhone, Mac, and iPad, but two are bundled together in my backpack. My phone is usually plugged into headphones so I can feel if someone is trying to pickpocket me. :sunglasses:

Hope that helps provide some travel security inspiration!

• htrouser
    htrouser
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Many thanks! That all makes sense. Would it be fair to say that the main security risk of logging in while traveling would be key-logging software? That is, that the computer of a friend or family member would be a safe bet, but a public one a bad idea? Can you then de-register (not sure if that's the right term) the computer you used, so that it no longer works with the account key? Or is that an unnecessary measure as it's useless without the master password?

• @htrouser Yes, that would be fair to say. I personally don't trust any computer other than my own. While most probably don't have keyloggers (or even full screen recorders running) I'd rather not take the chance. If you have a friend or family member that is the best option. You can deauthorize a computer after using it, from your profile page. :) It is also a good idea if you don't plan to use it again.

• htrouser
    htrouser
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Thanks so much! That answers all my questions. I'll definitely be signing up.

• No problem at all! Glad to help :)

This discussion has been closed.