Families main account vs previous 1P standalone account

Options
pmarcelo
pmarcelo
Community Member

I am a longtime user of 1P and have since subscribed to Families. With the standalone, I had an email associated with the license and, of course, my master password. When I created the Families account, I used that same email, but I created a new master password for that main Families account. I'm wondering now if I should have used my previous master password instead of using a new master password. I was confused at first about how I was using both accounts. I am using the original password to unlock the apps and the Families master password when I am accessing the account via browser.

What is recommended for a structure for the family and individual accounts? I understand that my family members should have separate accounts, but should my own account be separate from the master Families account? Or, should the master Families account essentially be my old account that I should migrate over? I've attached a simple chart to illustrate the two approaches with Setup 1 as how I currently have it set. My wife and I will both be organizers, but is there any reason or benefit to having this main account as the umbrella or should I use my account as the main (and subsequently naming that account to me rather than a family title)?

Any insight for the approaches and any pro/cons that I should consider would be appreciated. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pmarcelo! I'm glad you asked about this. The good news is, the best way to do things is simple: Use the same Master Password for 1Password, whether you have multiple accounts or vaults outside accounts. Your Master Password only needs to change if you have shared it with someone who shouldn't have access to your data.

What is recommended for a structure for the family and individual accounts? I understand that my family members should have separate accounts, but should my own account be separate from the master Families account? Or, should the master Families account essentially be my old account that I should migrate over?

I'd recommend keeping just the family account. Family members only need the account in the family because they get a Personal vault for items they prefer to keep private. So you can do this as well, and move your items to your Personal family vault. Once you've done that, you can delete your extra accounts by signing in to it on 1Password.com, then clicking your name in the top right and choosing My Profile. Choose delete at the bottom of that page.

Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.