Opera 42 and 1Password 6 [will be supported soon]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Connection refused by 1Password 6.

Comments

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member

I experience the same issue right now. I re imaged Windows and then 1Password refused to let Opera in. That would be nice if I could approve the browser myself. I hate when software tells me what to do. So if I read correctly, then I am screwed? Am I?

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member

Geez. 1Password data even survives Revo uninstaller. I deleted browser extensions, then Opera, then 1 password. Put them back but 1password still refuses to sync with Opera... Where is that data file so I can delete it?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016

Hi @orbitalfenestra,

Thanks for writing in.

Opera has changed their code signature for the Opera 42 update, which is different from the one we have on our known list, which trips our security check and starts blocking it. This is a security check to prevent someone from replacing your browser with an infected one.

We've added the new code signature that'll be shipped in the next beta update to 1Password 6. We don't have a timeframe on when this'll be available. We are also looking into adding an option to whitelist a specific process only temporarily, so you don't have to wait for us.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016

Hi @orbitalfenestra,

I've split your posts out into its own thread as your issue is different from the other thread.

As for Revo uninstaller, that's a good thing because it is not supposed to delete your 1Password data. 1Password app files and data files are stored separately to protect your data from being deleted by other programs.

This issue you're seeing with Opera 42 is not related to your 1Password data, reinstalling will not fix this. You have to use a different browser until we ship the next update that will support Opera 42 for now.

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member

Wow that was quick! I will certainly try that. Still... like Facebook, the user should be able to approve the browser at least temporarily. I get the fact that I wouldn't like to be fooled by a fake browser. But on the other hand security is gone wrong when it breaks the application. It's so Microsoft to behave like this please don't do that! :P

• MikeT
    edited December 2016

Hi @orbitalfenestra,

Wow that was quick! I will certainly try that.

Sorry, we haven't shipped the beta update yet. We've added it in the internal code a few days ago and there was a beta update but this compatibility fix didn't make the cut yet. We should be shipping it within a few days, we're making a few changes first.

Still... like Facebook, the user should be able to approve the browser at least temporarily.

That's being planned but given how aggressive malware are nowadays, we have to block first and ask later. It is your entire 1Password data that could be at risk, so it's not always a good idea to make it easier to approve something that could be fooled. Not to mention, Opera is in the middle of being sold to someone else.

I get the fact that I wouldn't like to be fooled by a fake browser. But on the other hand security is gone wrong when it breaks the application.

The application remains working, it just is refusing the connection from 1Password extension in Opera only. You can still use it in other browsers or copy/paste until a compatibility update is available from us.

It's so Microsoft to behave like this please don't do that! :pirate:

As mentioned above, we will take whatever measures is required to keep your data protected by default. This is a security program and security is our first priority.

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Okay now I went beta but now instead of getting an error message the process just stops after the installation of the extension

Edit: still broken even with the beta.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@orbitalfenestra: What do you mean "the process just stops after the installation of the extension"? Can you be more specific? Definitely make sure that Opera doesn't have any pending updates, remove the extension, restart Windows, and install a fresh copy from the AgileBits site. Let me know what you find!

• Hi guys,

@orbitalfenestra, as of this moment, there is no support for Opera 42. The compatibility fix is in the next beta update, we're hoping to ship it within a few days but our developer is under the weather at the moment.

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member

I gave up on that matter and uninstalled everything and re-installed 1password and Opera, but no extension this time. Since you both seem to be knowledgeable about 1Password, cause to this day I still hesitate about becoming a full member...

Situation: I am a student and unfortunately I often need to use their public computers. Until then everything worked well... but then I needed to connect to my facebook and gmail accounts to realise that.. I am screwed! How can I make this work without creating weaknesses in my passwords? Shouldn't 1Passwork propose something for people like me?

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member

I have the same issue with Opera 42, but nice to know there is a fix in the pipeline. I'll look forward to it.

You guys are right. As frustrating as it is to have this happen, I'd rather this data be safe than easily accessible. With all these hacks going on, having everything in one place is a bit scary but knowing there's heavy security around it eases my mind. So thank you!

• orbitalfenestra
    orbitalfenestra
    Community Member

@arianelu Thanks but this can wait. As for passwords on the go who knows... Maybe 1Password could start selling its own USB stick with a digital fingerprint ID and even more for security addicts, the choice to bring only a few handy passwords I would definitively buy it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have the same issue with Opera 42, but nice to know there is a fix in the pipeline. I'll look forward to it. You guys are right. As frustrating as it is to have this happen, I'd rather this data be safe than easily accessible. With all these hacks going on, having everything in one place is a bit scary but knowing there's heavy security around it eases my mind. So thank you!

@unrealreality: Exactly. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, but first and foremost we don't want to take any chances with your data — or ours. Disabling the code signature check in 1Password 4 is an option, but not something we want to encourage since it does involve risk. Thanks for your patience while we work on adding the digital signature to support Opera 42 to our Windows apps. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same issue, I'm using 1Password 4 for Windows, and now disabled signature verify, i think 1Password 6 should also ship advanced options such as "Disable web browser code signature verify", but need enable by use "Konami Code"

@arianelu: I can't say that this will make it into the app since, as cool as Easter eggs like that are, we really want 1Password to be intuitive and such things are not very discoverable...but I really love this idea! :lol:

If you can use 1Passowrd 4, Try disable signature verify until new release, but this may cause security issue, use at your own risk

This cannot be emphasized enough. While this is certainly an option in 1Password 4, not having 1Password verify the authenticity of the app it's connecting to is an unnecessary risk, especially while there are so many other good browsers out there. I can totally appreciate that we each have our favourites and don't want to change, even temporarily, but security needs to come first when our most sensitive information is involved. :blush:

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member

And like that, it's fixed. thank you @brenty and the rest of your team. Rock solid, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu: Don't worry. We don't have an update for 1Password 4 yet, but we're working on it. :)

@unrealreality: Likewise, thanks for participating in the 1Password 6 beta! Looking forward to getting this out to everyone. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.