Some site auto past the Submit button, others don't

When I use 1password to log into a site, sometimes the Submit button happens automatically, some sites I have to click on the Submit button in order to get past the login page. Why does it only work some of the time?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ok

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @kellyschouten,

It's hard to say.

One reason would be if filling doesn't fill a visible password field on the screen e.g. Google. We only submit if we fill a password field because password fields allow us a certain level of confidence about what is going on while text fields get used for so many things. If we only fill a text field on a page we do our best but the potential for an error in filling is increased and automatically submitting wouldn't give the person a chance to react and correct.

Another possibility is if the page doesn't respond to the enter key being pressed. Our submit action works by mimicking the enter key being pressed while focus is on the password field. We do this because it's very common for sites to be designed to submit when the enter key is pressed while trying to identify and have the browser believe the login button was clicked is fraught with difficulties. It's rare but I've seen a few sites where they don't behave like the majority of sites and don't react to the enter key meaning our submit feature won't work either.

At a guess you're finding that if submit isn't working then it reliably doesn't work for that site. If you have a couple of examples we'll happily look and see if we spot anything.

This discussion has been closed.