1Password app won't accept different master passwords for the two users on our macbook

carlespe
carlespe
Community Member

I (Carl) am a long-time 1password user. I switched last week to 1password for families so my wife (Julie) could use it too. We went through the registration process and have our new family account with separate account keys and master passwords. They work fine on our phones, tablets, and work computers.

However, our home computer (shared early 2016 macbook, macos sierra 10.12.1, two user accounts Carl and Julie) does not recognize Julie's master password in her mac user account. When she attempts to log in to 1password (version 6.5.2) with her master password, login fails. If she enters my master password instead, it succeeds. This is despite having successfully set up her account in the 1password app -- her account is the only one that shows in preferences/accounts when in her mac user account.

Obviously we want to be able to use our separate master passwords in our separate mac user accounts. How do we do that?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: family

Comments

• Hi @carlespe! Thanks for posting about this. 1Password for Mac only supports a single Master Password to unlock it right now, so using it with two family members is not possible. What I'd recommend is another user account on your Mac just for you wife, with 1Password installed. She can sign in to her 1Password account there, and use 1Password for Mac. :) Hope that helps!

• carlespe
    carlespe
    Community Member

Hi Jacob. Thanks for your input, but you misunderstood my situation. We already have two macOS accounts, one for my wife and one for me. 1password is set up correctly in each separate macOS account. In her macOS account, 1password preferences/accounts shows HER name and HER key. In my macOS account, 1password preferences/accounts shows MY name and MY key.

• @carlespe Sorry about that. I misread what you posted. I see you've emailed us as well and Roman replied there. I'll get back to you in just a minute via email so we have the conversation in one place. :)

ref: PWJ-66165-667

• carlespe
    carlespe
    Community Member

For others who happen upon this thread, Jacob helped identify the problem, which was that my old primary vault was still active in my wife's macos account. As soon as I deleted it, we were able to enter her personal master password and now our accounts are separated as they should be.

• Indeed. Thanks for posting that here as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.