No new signin necessary after changing account e-mail address

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Today I changed my 1Password account email address via the web site. On the web site I was immediately logged out and needed to login again. On iOS the app already noticed the email address change and displayed my new login data already prefilled (email address & account key) and asked for my password again.

Personally after such a major change the apps would need a new authentication. But the beta seems to still work. I doesn't need to login there again. That should be changed. I also notice that I can't see the account email address anywhere in the beta.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.2.328d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @dahanbn domain or email change should break authentication and 1Password for Windows will alert you with red banner at the bottom left corner of it's window. Clicking on that alert will open sign in form with prefilled everything, except your master password. Under normal conditions that banner shows up pretty much instantly.

I agree there is an improvement pending here, you may not have 1Password app window opened to notice that banner. We have something in todo list to improve that, i'll give it a bump. Thank you!

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

I apologize for the confusion. This is working as designed, 1Password 6 knows how to handle email and domain changes on the fly when you authenticate with the older account credentials, it is being told by the server that you have a new email address or domain now and it pulls that to retry again with the password you've given it. If it fails, it will ask you to sign in again manually with the right data.

We plan to add the Accounts settings to 1Password 6 that will show you the email address, domain, account key, avatar, and so on in a future update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: Thank you so much for sending that! I see that we've received your email, so we'll take a look at the diagnostics and see what we can do to improve this. :)

ref: HNZ-33836-556

This discussion has been closed.