Hiding passwords from guests and team members

jason_kleinberg
jason_kleinberg
Community Member

Is there a way to use this app such that someone could log-in to my bank account or other online log-in but not actually be able to see the passwords? I'm going to be outsourcing some work and would prefer to not share any passwords if possible. Would they need to have an account or could they part of my family or team?

Ideally, I'd like a way for them to log in to 1password and then through 1password sign in to the various accounts they have access to.

Sorry if this question is obvious, but I couldn't find an answer.

thanks,

jason

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:hide password from team member or guest

Comments

• Hi @jason_kleinberg! Thanks for asking about this. While they may not be able to see them, they have to use them somehow. So if you, say, hid the password for Amazon.com, they would still be able to use it with the browser extension by filling it. In general, we hear that people want to hide passwords because they don't want someone to change them. That's an understandable concern, but hiding the password doesn't add any real security, just some fuzzy borders. Since the that person can use the password by filling it, they can fill it into a field that asks for the old password, then create a new one of the account.

There's no technical way to share a password that is hidden and allow someone to actually use it. There is a permission in 1Password Teams called "Reveal password" that, when disabled, doesn't show that member the password. However, it shouldn't be relied upon as a way to stop people from seeing a password, because if they can still use it (filling in the browser directly) as I mentioned above. You're welcome to use it as a barrier if you decide to use a team account, I just wanted to let you know how this works in practical terms.

• jason_kleinberg
    jason_kleinberg
    Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I use a mac and I'm wondering, why should I use 1password instead of just using the keychain access program in my mac? How would it make me more secure in general and in particular with sharing passwords? Thanks much...

• @jason_kleinberg That's a great question. There are quite a lot of reasons to use a password manager, whether that's 1Password or something else, over Keychain on your Mac. These are some of the reasons I use 1Password instead of Keychain:

• Finding and organizing passwords. 1Password makes it easy to find your passwords and organize them. You can add tags, put your work passwords in a different vault, and search for everything right in the app.
    • More than passwords. Save your credit cards and addresses in 1Password so you can use them to make purchases and create accounts in your browser. You can also save your passport if you need it to book a flight, or your loyalty program for your favorite airline.
    • View, edit, and add items from a browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from the devices you typically use.
    • Share with your family or coworkers. You can share any of your passwords and other items with your family or coworkers by upgrading to a family or team and inviting them. They get all the apps too.
    • Sign in to websites in any browser. 1Password integrates with all popular browsers: Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and more so you can use your passwords anywhere.
    • More than Mac. You can get 1Password on your iPhone and iPad, Android devices, and Windows computers and access all your passwords there by signing in to your account.

Feel free to start a free trial and take things for a spin. We'd love to hear what you think.

This discussion has been closed.