1Password for ChromeOS

Options
ScarySulley
ScarySulley
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Lounge

Not sure if this is the correction section for this. Please moved if needed.

What would be the best way, if possible, to have 1Password work on a ChromeBook? I know there is no dedicate version for ChromeOS, at least not yet. But with the new subscription service there is something about "web access" which is essentially the replacement for 1Password Anywhere, but much better, right? So could this "web access" feature be used to access and use 1Password on ChromeOS/ChromeBooks? @Ben did explain it to me a while back, but I would like clarification. Like how would this work with the non-subscription based 1Password app and vault for Mac/PC/iOS/Android? It seems local vaults on your computer and/or Dropbox are separate from vaults on the 1Password service?

Thanks!

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScarySulley: You're right on. While we don't make a version of 1Password for ChromeOS, we do have the 1Password.com web app, which will run in any modern browser I've used. And since ChromeOS uses Chrome itself, you'll be able to access your 1Password Account through the website at least. This does depend on the subscription service though, so it isn't possible to use 1Password.com with local vaults, as they are not stored not the server.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Can you somehow make "duplicate" local vaults and turn those into a subscription vault? This way someone could still use their local vault and use the subscription service as well. I guess it's sorta like a manual syncing. If you make a change to your local vault (which would be the "primary vault") you can export it or something to also become the subscription vault. Does that make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScarySulley: This would be a very manual process, but it is possible at least. You can copy items between vaults of course, but it would really be best to simply copy the entire vault periodically. This way you don't have to remember which items you'd modified. But more importantly, an item copied to a new vault will have a new UUID, so it isn't possible to simply copy over changed items to "replace" older versions. But given that you're interested in the web interface, it would be a lot simpler to use only 1Password.com vaults and avoid this kind of hassle altogether. Just a thought. :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    Options

This would be a very manual process, but it is possible at least. You can copy items between vaults of course, but it would really be best to simply copy the entire vault periodically. This way you don't have to remember which items you'd modified.

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm sure it's a relatively simple process, but is all you have to do is export your local vault and somehow import that local vault into the web version of 1Password?

But more importantly, an item copied to a new vault will have a new UUID, so it isn't possible to simply copy over changed items to "replace" older versions. But given that you're interested in the web interface, it would be a lot simpler to use only 1Password.com vaults and avoid this kind of hassle altogether. Just a thought. :)

How does a UUID apply to 1Password and how it works? I wasn't too familiar with the term, but after a quick Google search, I see it's a unique number.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm sure it's a relatively simple process, but is all you have to do is export your local vault and somehow import that local vault into the web version of 1Password?

@ScarySulley: Certainly the process is simple. But if you're anything like me, remembering to do this might be troublesome. ;)

This is easiest in 1Password for Mac, since all you have to do is select all of the items in a vault and right-click to Share > Copy to another vault — whether you want to do this local > 1Password.com or vice versa. If you'll give me a clearer picture of your setup and how you'd like to do this, I can give more specific instructions.

How does a UUID apply to 1Password and how it works? I wasn't too familiar with the term, but after a quick Google search, I see it's a unique number.

I'm glad you asked, because I think it's kind of interesting. Each of your 1Password items has a unique number assigned to it when its created. This may seem odd at first, since certainly a name is easier to work with, but because it's possible to have multiple items with the exact same name, and the names can change over time, it's useful for them each to have a Universally Unique IDentifier so 1Password can keep track of them for purposes of storage, management, and syncing, regardless of any changes you make to them over time. I hope this helps! :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    Options

Certainly the process is simple. But if you're anything like me, remembering to do this might be troublesome. ;)

This is easiest in 1Password for Mac, since all you have to do is select all of the items in a vault and right-click to Share > Copy to another vault — whether you want to do this local > 1Password.com or vice versa. If you'll give me a clearer picture of your setup and how you'd like to do this, I can give more specific instructions.

I do not have this option (copy to another vault) available when I select some or all my logins, right-click, and choose Share. I'm using 1Password 4 for my Mac. I guess this is a feature that was introduced after 1Password 4?

Is this possible to do on 1Password for Windows? I also have 1Password for iOS and Android.

I'm glad you asked, because I think it's kind of interesting. Each of your 1Password items has a unique number assigned to it when its created. This may seem odd at first, since certainly a name is easier to work with, but because it's possible to have multiple items with the exact same name, and the names can change over time, it's useful for them each to have a Universally Unique IDentifier so 1Password can keep track of them for purposes of storage, management, and syncing, regardless of any changes you make to them over time. I hope this helps! :)

Ahh I see. It's sorta like we use domains but computers and networking equipment use IP addresses. Well maybe not 100% the same thing since domains can have different versions like .com and .org hence making the names different, but you get the idea.

What truly makes an item unique is not it's name but rather it's UUID.

So if an item or items are exported to a new vault, is the UUID also kept when exported to the new vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I do not have this option (copy to another vault) available when I select some or all my logins, right-click, and choose Share. I'm using 1Password 4 for my Mac. I guess this is a feature that was introduced after 1Password 4?

@ScarySulley: Doh! I believe you're right. I know 1Password 5 and 6 have it at least.

Is this possible to do on 1Password for Windows? I also have 1Password for iOS and Android.

1Password for iOS supports copying/moving between vaults, and we actually just added the option to select multiple items at once there (just pull down on the item list). Otherwise, 1Password for Windows version 4 has a cool hidden feature: you can copy items to the clipboard and then paste them into another vault, just like you would with text (Ctrl C/Ctrl V). The only issue is this will not include attachments.

What truly makes an item unique is not it's name but rather it's UUID.

Indeed, since you could make multiple items the same in every other way, this makes it possible to track any one of them, raggedness of what changes you make. I think IP addresses are a pretty good example...except those often get shifted around, where as the UUID never changes. Well, almost...

So if an item or items are exported to a new vault, is the UUID also kept when exported to the new vault?

When copying/moving an item to a new vault with current versions of 1Password, it will have a new UUID. This so that you don't lose data if you put them back in the same vault again. There is an argument to be made for maintaining the UUID regardless, but ultimately we feel that preventing data loss comes first. Better to have some duplicates than to be missing something important.

This discussion has been closed.