Color and size of font

Options
MPxxxxxx
MPxxxxxx
Community Member

I see that back in Dec 2014 there was discussion of the poor legibility of the small grey font now used in iPassword. This discussion was closed, but the font remains. I'd like to reopen this issue. These guys are experts on web design: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/low-contrast/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawk713
    hawk713
    Community Member
    Options

The small gray font is horrible. It would be better Mac OS had an option to change it. But a 1Password change would be welcome.

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

This would be extremely easy to change. But Agilebits seems uninterested. It's a clear example of "style" being seen as more important than usability.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MPxxxxxx and @hawk713,

I'm sorry a font color in 1Password is making it difficult for you to read! We've made various improvements to improve the legibility of certain text in 1Password over the years, and there have been some font changes in the OS itself, so I'm not sure if what you're referring to now is the same as what you saw in a discussion here from two years ago. But either way, I'd like to know more about where you're seeing that so I can let our developers know.

You didn't actually mention specifically where you're having trouble with the font. Is this in the main 1Password app or in 1Password mini / browser extension? Is it in a specific type of field? Are you taking any steps such as editing an item or selecting any options which make the text hard to read? If possible, it would help if you could take a screenshot of an example of that, and include it in your reply (just make sure it doesn't show any personal/private information).

Also, please let us know the exact version of 1Password you're using, and the OS version on your Mac.

@MPxxxxxx, you referred to an older forum discussion from a couple years ago. Would you be able to give us a link to that thread? That will help us to confirm the exact issue and check our internal tracker for more information.

Thanks in advance! :)

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1Password 6.6.3, with OS 10.12.3. I'm attaching a screenshot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @MPxxxxxx! Your screenshot appears to be of the "Contact Information" section of a Credit Card item in 1Password. I don't see any text in the fields in that section, so does that mean you have trouble seeing the labels/names of those fields?

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

Correct.

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

To quote the link I provided in my origina post:

"Summary: Low-contrast text may be trendy, but it is also illegible, undiscoverable, and inaccessible. Instead, consider more usable alternatives."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @MPxxxxxx, we appreciate your feedback about that! I'll let our developers know you're having trouble with that font color in 1Password. When comparing it to other apps like Contacts, I can certainly see how a darker shade would help.

If you need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-3597

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

Contacts is not much better, in my opinion. There are many complaints online about the poor visibility of many elements of OS 10 (and yes, I do have Increase Contrast set). I think the questions your developers need to ask themselves are these: Why color grey? Why such a small font? The answers to these questions should be in terms of users' needs and preferences, and also in terms of the research that I have cited, and not in terms of a pretty design. Contrast the high visibility in the sidebar of 1Password - with which the user interacts less - with the low visibility within each of the items. Why the difference?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MPxxxxxx,

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression - I didn't mean to imply that we would be changing the font in 1Password to look specifically like Contacts. I was simply using Contacts as an example - I noticed it uses a darker font color than 1Password, which seems to make it a little easier to read. So I can see how a darker font color in 1Password would also be helpful, and hopefully we'll improve that in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback and thoughts about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.