To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why do I need an account?

Jentera
Jentera
Community Member

Hello! I just bought the 1Password app through the Mac app store for $65. I was under the impression that it was a large one-time purchase with no other purchases needed (as opposed to some other services that require a subscription indefinitely). I'm adding passwords through my browser (Chrome) and it's updating/syncing in my app on my iphone as advertised...in fact everything seems to be working just fine. So I'm curious as to why I'd need an account? Can I continue to use the Mac app and iOS app as is without an account? I only need to sync between my home computer and my phone. Also, I think I'm using iCloud to sync my data but I don't see any files in my iCloud account. Where are these files stored? Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, it is a one-time purchase. The subscription is an alternative method of getting 1PW that suits many people better, especially new users. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest for a comparison of the two approaches.

One warning, though. The actual program is the same in the two cases, but the initial setup is different. It's easy to make a mistake and setup for a subcscription ("account") rather than the licence (which does not have an "account").

• Jentera
    Jentera
    Community Member

Thank you...so basically, if I don't mind using iCloud, don't need to share, and don't mind paying for updates (do you know how often they make you pay for an update?) then I should be ok with the license, right? Also, do you happen to know where the sync files are in iCloud?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Jentera,

You're correct. You also miss out on web access to your data on 1Password.com, the ability to view and restore previous versions of items, the Pro features on your mobile devices (without an additional charge), and more. But if you don't want any of that, you can absolutely sync your standalone licensed copy of 1Password with iCloud. :+1:

1Password syncs to iCloud using the CloudKit APIs, so there are no files that are directly accessible in iCloud Drive (for example). The data is synced directly and only available in the 1Password apps for Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

1Password for Mac makes local backups daily (whenever the data has changed since the previous backup). Choose 1Password menu > Preferences, and click the Backup icon to see them. Learn more about 1Password backups.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• Jentera
    Jentera
    Community Member

This is great, thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Happy to help! Have a great holiday! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.