To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Under 1Password Accounts, how do I actually update the apps themselves?

I assume that, under 1Password Accounts, I would continue to use the same macOS and iOS apps that I do now. So what happens if I need to update those apps?

Right now, I have the App Stores set to release updates to me as needed (meaning, my Mac and my iPhone/iPad download updates automatically as they are made available). Will this continue to be the case?

I mean, I still would use those apps, wouldn't I? I don't like the prospect of having to sign into my 1Password data on the Web every time... :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Mr. Laser Beam I replied to your other post so I wanted to pop in here as well. With 1Password accounts, the apps don't quite update themselves. They ask you to update them when updates are available. What you get with an account is the latest major versions of the apps, since accounts are paid with a subscription. That means you get big upgrades right when they are released at no extra cost. The desktop apps ask you to update automatically. The App Store has an auto-update function, and if that's enabled you can get the latest version when it's out there too.

It also sounds like you're referring to sync in a portion of your post. Sync with accounts is fully automatic, and it happens in the background when you are connected to the internet. You mentioned the security aspect of this in your other post and we can keep talking about it there if you'd like. To sync a new device, install the app and sign in. That's it.

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

So if I did ever choose to switch to a 1password Account, should I make any changes as to how I handle updates from the App Store (both macOS and iOS)?

Right now, like I said, I have my Mac and my iOS devices set to automatically download any updated apps as they are made available. So under a 1Password Account, would I still continue to do this?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@Mr. Laser Beam

Yep. That's exactly right. :)

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

^ OK. Much appreciatings.

So if I understand this correctly, the apps will update themselves based on whichever method (App Store, or the 1Password app itself) makes the update available first? Is that correct?

Based on Khad's response, I take it that there's no chance that these two methods would ever conflict with each other?

(The only reason I ask is because I like having the iOS and macOS app stores automatically send me updates, and I don't want to have to disable that function...)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

So if I understand this correctly, the apps will update themselves based on whichever method (App Store, or the 1Password app itself) makes the update available first? Is that correct?

If you installed 1Password from the App Store (the only option on iOS), you'll get updates from the App Store. If you installed 1Password from our website (like on your Mac), the app will update itself. There's no way for any conflicts to occur since the two are mutually exclusive. For example, if you installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, the app wouldn't update itself. It would just get updates from the Mac App Store.

You don't need to disable any functionality. Just sit back, relax and let the automatic updates do their thing. :sunglasses:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

One other thing - with a subscription to 1Password Accounts, one pays AgileBits directly, amirite? Meaning, the apps themselves may be downloaded from the respective App Stores (as I do), but the actual subscription is paid straight to AgileBits?

Here's the reason I ask: Let's say there is a new version of 1Password, one that the App Stores would normally charge for. So for those who get their 1P apps from the App Stores, but who are also subscribers to 1Password Accounts (in which case they should get all updates to 1P as part of their subscriptions, and for no additional charge), how do they handle this?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Mr. Laser Beam

Yes, billing is handled directly through AgileBits. Learn more about managing your 1Password subscription.

You really don't need to worry about the apps. I'll give you some examples, though, to put your mind at ease. :)

• 1Password for iOS is a free app. The Pro features are automatically unlocked if you are signed in to a 1Password account. The App Store just keeps updating the app as usual for you.
    • 1Password for Mac is available as a free 30-day trial from our website. If you installed 1Password for Mac from our website, the full functionality is unlocked when you are signed in to a 1Password account. The 30-day limit is lifted since you are a paying customer.

No matter which app you get on which platform, you will always get the full, unlocked app when you are signed in to a 1Password account. Signing in to your account in the app unlocks the magic. ✨

This discussion has been closed.