Import data from "ipassword" to 1Password

phylrick
phylrick
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

I have been using iPassword for over a year and want to change to 1password. Is there anyway to import ipassword data into 1password???? I have hundreds of passwords so manual doesn't flip my bippy

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phylrick,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I notice you asked a similar question back in June on our iOS forum: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66246/ipassword-to-1password

Unfortunately, the answer is still the same as the one Brenty gave you a couple months ago:

I did some searching but wasn't able to figure out if "ipassword" allows data export. If you can export the data, it may be possible to use @MrC 's converter on a computer and then import the data into 1Password. If, however, "ipassword" does not allow you to export the data, you'll need to enter it manually into 1Password.

Basically, two things need to happen: "ipassword" needs to be able to export your data into a file that is readable by other apps, and 1Password needs to be able to import the data from that file. Are you able to export your data from "ipassword"? If so, and if you can export it to a CSV file, there's a good chance 1Password will be able to import it from that CSV file. We have more information here: How to move your data from other applications to 1Password

Please let us know about the export options you (hopefully) have in "ipassword", and we should be able to continue from there. Thanks! :)

• leoh
    leoh
    Community Member

Hi I am having the same problem. ipassword manager by tap tim allows to create a backup file saved to dropbox, but I do not see a way to import or convert this to 1password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@leoh,

The app by "Tap Tim" is named Password Manager (not ipassword, another app).

Does it export the database in clear text (i.e. not encrypted)? Can you open its exported file and read the contents with a simple text editor?

• leoh
    leoh
    Community Member

unfortunately it seems to be encrypted, when I open it in word or notepad it just comes up as a bunch of symbols

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

@leoh,

You would have to ask the developer to add Export as Plaintext functionality (such as CSV or XML). Many password manager developers do not want to do this, because it allows you to leave their product (it's extra work for them, only for you to be able to jump ship).

• leoh
    leoh
    Community Member

that's what I was afraid of, thanks for your quick response!

• leoh
    leoh
    Community Member

BTW does 1password allow export to csv?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

@leoh,

The desktop versions support exporting to CSV (limited*, not the best choice), and full export to the plaintext structured 1PIF format. You can get all of your data out via 1PIF with full fidelity. There are converters and other password managers that can read this format. You can sync your data from a handheld device to the desktop versions to get the data out.

* CSV export is limited, due to the limitations of CSV itself - it isn't good for complex data, since it presumes a fixed number of statically defined columns.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leoh: Indeed, and 1PIF is plaintext based on JSON, so it's relatively human readable in addition to being flexible for converting to other formats. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.