1Password for families in need of a coherent organized manual and questions

Options
Hacky
Hacky
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Families

3 questions:

1. I now have triple entries labeled Primary, Personal and Shared (I have shared some entries with my wife). Am I supposed to delete all of the primary entries? Families version has given me a lot of trouble, if I ever want to revert back to regular old 1Password, will I be able to do that if I delete all of these Primary entries?

2. When I want to update an entry that should be the same in all Vaults, do I need to update the Primary entry (in which case I should not delete them as asked above) or do I update the Personal entry?

3. When I update something that needs to propagate to all vaults, how do I do that? I cannot imaging that I need to update each vault separately

4. I only have one shared vault but have noticed some of my entries now have 4 listings (primary, personal, Shared, Shared). How do I keep this from happening and can I delete one of the shared entries?

The process of switching from personal to families has been unnecessarily difficult. I use my own scripts, set up m,y own Alfred workflows etc... but this process has stumped me and I have paid for months of use without really being able to use it. It is in desperate need of a book type of manual as opposed to a knowledge base.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I now have triple entries labeled Primary, Personal and Shared (I have shared some entries with my wife). Am I supposed to delete all of the primary entries? Families version has given me a lot of trouble, if I ever want to revert back to regular old 1Password, will I be able to do that if I delete all of these Primary entries?

@Hacky: Really it's up to you. It's certainly simpler to store everything in your 1Password.com vaults so that it will automatically be available on all of your authorized devices without having to configure sync settings. But some folks have local vaults as well.

When I want to update an entry that should be the same in all Vaults, do I need to update the Primary entry (in which case I should not delete them as asked above) or do I update the Personal entry?

These are not connected. Items in separate vaults are separate items, so really it's best to store something you need to share in a shared vault, rather than trying to keep it updated in multiple places.

When I update something that needs to propagate to all vaults, how do I do that? I cannot imaging that I need to update each vault separately

The purpose of having separate vaults is to share things with specific individuals, or to have them available only to you. Why would you want to keep the same item in your own personal vault and a shared vault? After all, you have access to the shared vault as well. Keeping it there means you can still access it and share it with others and all changes will be available to everyone who has access to it, without placing an unnecessary burden on yourself.

I only have one shared vault but have noticed some of my entries now have 4 listings (primary, personal, Shared, Shared). How do I keep this from happening and can I delete one of the shared entries?

It's really a matter of personal preference when it comes down to it, but I'm not sure why you'd want so many copies in multiple places in the first place. if you copy an item to another vault, you then have two — one in each vault — and so on. So generally I think it's best to put it where you want it based on your needs, and leave it at that.

The process of switching from personal to families has been unnecessarily difficult. I use my own scripts, set up m,y own Alfred workflows etc... but this process has stumped me and I have paid for months of use without really being able to use it. It is in desperate need of a book type of manual as opposed to a knowledge base.

Unfortunately no manual or guide can cover this, as these are decisions you need to make about how you want to organize your data, but we're happy to help in any way we can. :)

• Hacky
    Hacky
    Community Member
    Options

A manual or guide could indeed make the workings of the software less opaque and provide guidance on consequences of decisions made. Perhaps I am only long-time use of 1P who has been confused by 1P Families but I doubt it. I will check and see if Take Control series discusses 1P Families.

I would prefer one master vault that contains everything. The other shared vaults would be slaves where identical entries sync with changes to the master vault (and vice versa if permissions even to do so). This feels safe in terms of only needing to back up one vault that has everything in it, would permit the "owner" to use/keep track of a single vault. Everything could be controlled by this one vault. No need to ever merge personal and shared vaults (for example as my kids get older and want me out of their business). I understand that from a coding perspective (or perhaps security?) this may not be feasible. I also get that I may not still quite get how this all is supposed to work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hacky: 1Password has never supported this notion of "subsidiary vaults" you seem to be proposing, but it's something we can consider for the future.

However, I will say that that only adds additional complexity, since you'd have a single item belonging to multiple vaults. You could end up deleting it completely if you just wanted to remove its "shortcut" from one place, or you'd have to delete it all of them if you wanted to get rid of it for good, all depending on how it's implemented and presented. I'm not sure that would make things less confusing for users.

And you're right that it wouldn't be technically feasible at this time, since each vault has separate encryption keys. Otherwise, we'd be enforcing permissions by policy, and someone could find a way around that; instead, we're using encryption to ensure that no one can get into vaults that haven't been shared with them.

If you still have questions about 1Password Families, be sure to let me know. So far it seems like you have some rather specific goals and ideas that may not apply to everyone, but certainly something more universal might be a good candidate for documentation. :)

This discussion has been closed.