To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

After successfully switching to a 1Password Account, what do I do with my old iCloud data?

Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Memberships

I am thinking about switching to a 1Password Account. If I were to do so, exactly what steps should I take to ensure that all of my 1P data is gone from iCloud which is how I now sync? (This is assuming that I have successfully copied all of my data from iCloud over to the new 1P account of course.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Mr. Laser Beam - Great question! You can read a little more in advance here on how the migration process works - https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Once you have successfully moved all your existing data over to your new Personal vault. You can delete your Primary vault then if you want you can delete the data from within iCloud - System Settings > iCloud > Click the Manage button at the bottom > You should see 1Password in the list. Once you migrate your existing data over, check in with us first before deleting anything. We want to ensure your data is safe and in the correct location. I hope this helped and let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the information...so just to make sure, "deleting the Primary vault" will not affect a 1Password Account, then? Even if I have already added that account to my 1Password app and copied all of my 1P data into it?

Right now, within my 1P app (I'm using the macOS version as an example), the option to "Delete vault" is grayed out. I'm assuming this is because I do not yet have a 1P account?

So once I have that account up and running, and have added it to the 1P app, "Delete vault" will become available (and will only apply to my old iCloud data)?

• Hi @Mr. Laser Beam - You're correct. Once your existing 1Password data have been migrated over to your Personal vault, you can delete your Primary vault without your 1Password.com account being affected. I also suggest back your data up prior to migrating everything over. Yes, when you get the account up and running, reply back and I will be happy to assist you. We just like to verify your data is in the correct location and is safe before suggesting to delete anything. It's always better to be safe ;-)

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

I also have iOS devices. If I were to create a 1P Account, should I add it to those devices' 1P apps before I delete my old iCloud data? Assuming I do the initial creation and filling of the 1P account on my Mac, which I probably would in fact do.

(I'm assuming that "Primary vault" refers to that which is synced via iCloud, and "Personal vault" is for 1P Accounts, amirite?)

• Hi @Mr. Laser Beam - You get an A+ :-) Yes, once you've created the 1Password.com account, add it to all your existing apps first. Then back up your Primary vault then migrate the data over to your Personal vault. Basically your current Primary vault that you sync via iCloud will be replaced with your new Personal vault tied to the new 1Password.com account. Let me know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help out. Have a fantastic weekend!

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

Okay. I've got the new account created, moved all my data into it (had to do it manually because of the multiple vaults) and installed the account on all apps.

So if I delete the Primary vault - probably will do this on the Mac app - will this automatically cycle through to my iOS apps once I launch them? I already have my iOS apps set to show me my Personal vault every time I launch. So I won't have to change any settings on those devices, will I?

• @Mr. Laser Beam Glad to hear it! Deleting the Primary vault just removes it on that device. You can remove it from your other devices manually and make sure you are signed in to your account on them, then you should be all set.

This discussion has been closed.