How to save an attachment from a 1Password secure note?

jdputsch
jdputsch
Community Member

I have a 1Password for families account and have a secure note a compressed tarball attached.

The note shows the attachment exists, but I cannot get it out of the note to use the file anymore. I was hoping to be able to drag the attachment out of 1Password to work on/with it, but am unable to do so.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: 1Password Family
Referrer: forum-search:How to save an attachment from a 1Password Note

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jdputsch: Are you certain this is in your 1Password.com Account? Attachments aren't supported there, only Documents. To save a Document to your computer, you'll need to click to download it, and then you can open it in the filesystem and save it somewhere else. Editing in place isn't possible, as the data is encrypted, and the modified file would need to be re-added. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jdputsch
    jdputsch
    Community Member

@brenty: The attachment is in 1Password on my computer. The secure note is in my "Personal" vault, which is part of the 1Password.com account. I can see the attchment both on my computer and in the 1password.com web based version.

The problem I am having is with 1Password on my computer: I cannot drag and drop a copy of the attachment out of 1Password to work with it.

From the web-based version of 1Password I can download the attachment. This at least provides me with a work-around for the problem with 1Password on my computer.

I would really appreciate having 1Password on the computer work properly.

Thanks,

Jeff.

• @jdputsch Thanks for clarifying. To save the attachment, click it, then the Document item will open and you can click the download icon, the down arrow, and choose Show in Finder. Copy that file anywhere you'd like. If you move it out of 1Password it will be unencrypted, just so you know. Hope that helps! :)

• jms1
    jms1
    Community Member

This is still happening for me... when I click on the attachment (in this case, a PDF) I see the download button with the filename and a "Click to Download & View" link. Clicking on any of these brings up the PDF contents in a "Quick Look" window. When I close this window, it shows the file's content within the UI (where the "Download" button and link were), with an overlay button saying "Quick Look" and a little button next to it with a downward-pointing arrow. One would expect this "little button" to maybe open a menu of other choices, which might include "Save to disk..." or "Show in Finder", but there is no menu - it just goes back to the same "Quick Look" window.

The only way I was able to save the attachment to the local disk was to click the "Open with Preview" window, and within Preview.app, use the "File -> Save As..." command.

UI suggestion: when looking at the item, before it's been downloaded from the "cloud", offer two buttons - one to view the item (i.e. the current functionality), and a separate "Download" button which downloads the item and then opens the "Save" dialog.

Using 1Password 6.8.4(684001) on macOS 10.13.0, using both Family and Team accounts, no local vault. (This particular item was in the Family account, if that matters.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hey @jms1 - this is currently a bug in 1Password -- we're working on squashing it for an upcoming release, but I've nothing to share immediately about when you'll see it. So yeah, you're not imagining things; it's real. If you save certain types of less-common files (that Quick Look can't handle, like .eml or other unusual file types), you'll get the expected behavior, but most of the main types like jpg, png, pdf, etc exhibit this bug.

Thanks for reporting and keep your eyes out for updates. Cheers!

ref: OPM-5365

This discussion has been closed.