Dropbox to 1Password.com (Families) migration issues

XIII
XIII
Community Member

I want to start 2017 good by using my 1Password.com Families subscription for syncing (instead of Dropbox). Today I selected all entries in my Primary Dropbox vault (in 1Password 6 for Mac) and copied them to my Personal vault.

Two things I noticed in the new Personal vault that bother me (a bit):
1. All category titles are in English now, instead of my local language
2. All attachments are converted to documents (as expected), but lost their original creation date (creation date is now today for all of them)

Questions:
1. (How) can I fix this?
2. Is there a better way to migrate (to prevent these issues)? (Which?)
3. I now have two Emergency kit documents stored in my vault, but don't know which is the newer one, because creation dates have been corrupted. Is the red or the blue one the newer one?

Anyway, happy & healthy 2017!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com (Families)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All category titles are in English now, instead of my local language [...] (How) can I fix this?

@XIII: I'm really sorry about this. We haven't yet localized 1Password.com, so much of the data stored there (not yours, but the default templates, etc.) is only available in English currently.

All attachments are converted to documents (as expected), but lost their original creation date (creation date is now today for all of them) [...] Is there a better way to migrate (to prevent these issues)? (Which?)

That's expected, but I can see where that may be undesirable. Essentially 1Password is decrypting the original data, writing it to disk (thus the date), and then re-encrypting it to add as a Document. If I'm not mistaken, saving the file back to disk will have the same result. There isn't any way around this, but we're open to suggestions.

I now have two Emergency kit documents stored in my vault, but don't know which is the newer one, because creation dates have been corrupted. Is the red or the blue one the newer one?

Unfortunately I think that the only solution may be trial and error. Honestly I hadn't thought of it before, but I should probably check my Emergency Kits too. Much like backups, it's probably a good idea to test them to make sure everything will work as expected in case of a true emergency. This is a good example for your point above about the dates resetting. :(

Anyway, happy & healthy 2017!

Likewise! I'm sorry yours is off to a bit of a rocky start with 1Password, but we'll see what we can do to resolve these issues. We'll call it our "new years resolution". :blush:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

but we're open to suggestions.

Using the creation & last access dates of the entry the document was originally attached to would work (better) for me (than setting them both to today).

• Thanks for the suggestion. I'll forward it to the team. :)

ref: OPM-4692

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Some more issues (/things I don't know - yet):

1. On my Mac mini I cannot remove the primary vault (unlike all my other devices). Is that because it has a secondary vault? (unlike the others)
    2. In the Windows App all attachments are displayed as "Imported Attachment". Only if I hover over them I see their real filename. Can that be improved?
    3. (How) Can I rename documents without breaking the links to them?
    4. (How) Can I let the Windows App open my Personal vault by default? (instead off all Family vaults)
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On my Mac mini I cannot remove the primary vault (unlike all my other devices). Is that because it has a secondary vault? (unlike the others)

@XIII: Exactly! The Primary vault cannot actually be removed directly since it's fundamental to the design of 1Password 4-6. But if you remove all secondary vaults, you can disable local vaults (Preferences > Advanced) to effectively get rid of the Primary. Definitely confusing, but we didn't anticipate 1Password.com all those years ago.

In the Windows App all attachments are displayed as "Imported Attachment". Only if I hover over them I see their real filename. Can that be improved?

Probably. But I'm not certain I understand the "Imported Attachment" you're referring to. Is this an actual attachment to an item in a local vault, a Document in a 1Password.com vault, or something else I'm missing entirely? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

(How) Can I rename documents without breaking the links to them?

Yes! They're linked by UUID, so when you change the item's name, you'll see that change reflected in the link in the other item's details.

(How) Can I let the Windows App open my Personal vault by default? (instead off all Family vaults)

No, but having a default view and saving/restoring the view are things we'd like to add there. Do you mean default to that vault only on app launch? I think it's useful for 1Password to remember the vault last viewed in other cases, so we'll have to try to find a good balance.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Yes, I would like to be able to configure the default vault that has to be opened when starting 1Password (like is currently possible on iOS; I would like this on all other platforms as well).

I don't have access to my Windows PC right now, but the "Imported Attachments" are the names displayed for attachments (converted to documents) in the converted 1Password.com personal vault (only if I hover over them I see the actual Document name). I will try to make a screenshot when I get home.

• Hi @XIII - Thank you for replying back to us. As of right now, you can't set a default vault on 1Password 6 for Windows. Like @brenty said previously, you can disable local vaults then your Personal vault will be the default going forward. You can set a default vault for saving new items added to 1Password - Settings > Options > General. Reply back when you get a chance with the screenshots :-)

Have a fantastic day!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@Frank_AG I don't have a personal vault in 1Password for Windows 6. However, I would like to hide all credentials from family members by default (note: they don't use their own personal vault, but a shared vault per family member; a setup that has been discussed in several topics).

@brenty I hope this image helps to understand why the current implementation is rather confusing (all those identical names):

• Frank
    edited January 2017

Hi @XIII - Thank you for the clarification :-) We appreciate you sending over the screenshots too! I'll have someone take a look shortly and get back to you :-)

ref: B5-96

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In the Windows App all attachments are displayed as "Imported Attachment". Only if I hover over them I see their real filename. Can that be improved?

@XIII: Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. I have to admit I'm a still a bit confused whether we're talking about the web interface or the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app in regard to the "Imported Attachments" issue you're having. This is a known problem with the web interface that we're working to address, but be sure to let me know if you're seeing this in the app too, since that's definitely something we'd want to address as well. I think you may just be referring to the web interface though, and I've gotten things crossed. Please confirm either way. :blush:

ref: B5-96

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I thought it was 1Password 6 for Windows (so an App; not the web), but I'll have to verify that when I have access to my PC.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Confirmed; it's in the 1Password 6 for Windows (6.2.333d).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Ah, indeed. I was able to confirm something on my end too. It looks like this is coming straight from the server. We're working on standardizing how all the the apps (including web) display this information. There are some improvements coming in the next Windows release, and we'll continue to iterate on it. Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It looks like this is coming straight from the server.

Confirms what I thought. Looking forward to future updates!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise! For some reason I thought this issue was only affecting the web interface, but at least the improvements we make in this area will benefit users across multiple platforms thanks to 1Password.com. :)

• Therotero
    Therotero
    Community Member

I have to chime in here regarding #1 in the original post:

Being of German language, I too ran into the issue that all field descriptions for new items are English only since I have switched to a family license.

So I end up with a mix of German and English field descriptions which is definitely less than optimal.
    Will there be a full localization sometime soon? And hopefully even a way to get the English ones back to German once it's available?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Therotero - I agree, this kind of mix isn't ideal, we can do better. We're working towards more complete localizations, but i can't give any time frame at this point. It's definitely on our radar. :)

ref: OPM-4350

This discussion has been closed.