To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I get my iPhone app to use the 1password.com vault instead of iCloud?

Joewordsmith
Joewordsmith
Community Member

I just subscribed to 1Password.com on my laptop. So, what about my IPhone's app? When I go to sync it, it only has iCloud, DropBox, or LAN available. Shouldn't there be an option to sync with 1Password vault? I would like to know as I want to use 1Password to change the passwords of most of my sites, and I'll need these new passwords on my iPhone.

Thanks for any help!
--Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS X
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:change the sync option in OS to 1password.com

Comments

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Joewordsmith!

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Depending on what screen you are on within the iPhone app, adding your 1Password account may look a bit different.

If your iPhone app already is setup or has a vault:
    If your app already is syncing via a third-party cloud service or is using a local vault, then please follow these steps.
    1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Tap 1Password Accounts.
    4. Tap Add Account.
    5. Tap Scan Account Details Code if you have your account code available. Otherwise enter your account details.
    Enter your Master Password and click Sign in.

If your iPhone app is not setup, and does not have any vaults.
    If your app does not have any vaults on it, or does not have any data, then please follow these steps.
    1. Download 1Password on the App Store and open the app.
    2. Tap “Sign in to your 1Password account”.
    3. Tap Scan Account Details
    4. Scan your account code.
    5. Enter your Master Password and tap Done.

Hopefully this helps, but please feel free to reply if you would like any further assistance!

Have a great holiday season!

• Joewordsmith
    Joewordsmith
    Community Member

thanks! that was easy! but when i click the Sync option under Settings it still says iCloud.

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hey @Joewordsmith!

Thanks for your reply!

The reason why your "Sync" option still shows iCloud is because you now have two vaults on your iPhone. You have your 1Password account's vault, along with your iCloud-based vault. Because 1Password accounts handle syncing internally, there are no separate options for them, but the options for your other vaults (e.g. your iCloud vault) are still there.

So I can provide you with the next steps, do you want to have both of your vaults (your iCloud vault and your 1Password account's vault) on your iPhone, or only one of them?

I look forward to reading your reply, and have a great holiday season!

• Joewordsmith
    Joewordsmith
    Community Member

thanks so much, @Brian_AG i don't want my vault on icloud at all, so just one on the 1password.com site/subscription. i did notice that i have on my iphone a "primary" vault, which is checked and another vault called "personal."

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hey @Joewordsmith!

Of course! :)

You can delete a vault (the iCloud vault in this case) by completing the following steps:
    1. Go to your 1Password preferences (gear icon towards the bottom of the screen)
    2. Click on the "Vaults" tab/option
    3. Choose the vault you want to delete (your iCloud vault is the Primary vault, while your 1Password account's vault is the Personal vault)
    4. Click on the "Delete Vault" button

Woo-hoo you did it! Give yourself a pat on the back! ;)

Let me know how this goes, and feel free to reach out if I can be of any further assistance!

• Joewordsmith
    Joewordsmith
    Community Member

Great!

I did that but now syncing no longer appears. I want to make all my sites to use a unique password and I have to be able to sync with my.1password.com.

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Joewordsmith!

Thanks for your reply!

The syncing option no longer appears because you are now using a 1Password account instead of a local vault. 1Password accounts handle all of the syncing internally, which is why the option is not present anymore. You can still continue to generate unique passwords for all of your sites, along with being able to access your data on 1Password.com.

As always, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

• Joewordsmith
    Joewordsmith
    Community Member

thats awesome. thanks so much! good to hear from you today!

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Joewordsmith!

Of course! We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.