Multiple family member but one Mac user

dawe
dawe
Community Member

Hi,

currently evaluating 1Password Families. Usually I / We have dedicated machines so this is not an issue. But we have a shared MacBook Air where we only have a single MacOS user. It's mostly used for web browsing using Chrome with distinct user profiles.

Question is now if theres a way to use 1Password in this scenario. Looks like the running 1Password instance can only handle 1 logged in user per families account simultaneously. Always being forces to log out and in the desired user is not really usable.

It would be nice to be able to connect the Chrome profiles somehow to their corresponding 1Password account.

Any ideas or best practices here? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @dawe! Thanks for asking about this. 1Password for Mac supports one member per family or team account right now since it's unlocked with the original Master Password, so you won't be able to sign in to the whole family there. What I would recommend is using Chrome profiles, which is something you mentioned. Your family members can sign in to their accounts at 1Password.com in their profile and the email address and Account Key will be saved so they just need their Master Password to sign in. Learn more about using Chrome profiles. Hope that helps! :)

• dawe
    dawe
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob. Thanks for your reply. Correct me if I'm wrong. But the 1Password browser extension will only talk to the local application running under the account that does not necessarily correspond to the Chrome user profile, right?

In this case we can manually copy and paste credentials from the web app running in the "profiled" Chrome window, yes. But we will not be able to use the browser extension to login or store new logins I guess.

I think I will setup another MacOS account to really be able to use 1Password as intended. Everyting else might not lead to a satisfying solution at all.

• @dawe That is correct. I mentioned using Chrome profiles because each of your family members can sign in to their account at 1Password.com and access their passwords there. They won't be able to use the app + extension right now since that's limited to one family user at a time. Your solution sounds good. :)

• mkleist
    mkleist
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob : I have the same challenge like dawe but on Windows. Is the same solution needed? So a family user on Windows is not possible, we need to setup an individual windows login account per user to install the 1password app there and make the browser extension work? I am happy to learn how to work best on Windows with the family accounts. Thanks!

• @mkleist It is the same on Windows as well. You can create another user on your computer and install 1Password there for your other family member to use it. :) They can sign in to their account in the app, install the extension, and they'll be all set. You can quickly switch between users from the Start menu too.

• oncleben31
    oncleben31
    Community Member

Is there any plan to support multi users of the same family account on the same mac user account ?

• @oncleben31 It's something we're considering, and it's good to know that people are interested. We don't share future plans publicly, so I can't say for sure. Thanks for asking about it. :)

• bhadfield
    bhadfield
    Community Member

My vote is...

I just signed up for 1Password Family (I use teams at work). Aside from mobile devices and work machines we share a Mac. The solution above is impractical for us - changing the 'workflow' of our machine and accounts just to accommodate 1Password. I would say that this seems like a fairly conventional family situation; shared devices.

I think I will have to cancel the account and move my wife to dashlane pending a better solution.

• @bhadfield Thanks for your feedback. As @Jacob mentioned, we are considering this and will be sure to update via our blog if this feature is added. :)

This discussion has been closed.