Sites With Both Login and Password items - Can I Delete One?

Options
ctfishman
ctfishman
Community Member

As one of my New Year's resolution, I have spent a lot of today cleaning up weak and duplicate passwords. Thanks to the security audit tools in 1Password I've been able to do a great deal to improve the security of my information.

One thing I am not sure about, basically all of the "duplicate passwords" I have left are actually two items for the same site - one login item and one password item. The login item has my username and my password, while the password item has just my password. Can I delete the password items without affecting the login items, or is there a good reason why they would both be there?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You don't need the password item in that situation.

The password item is created automatically when you make a password. Because changing a password is often done on a slightly different site from the login site and for other reasons, it is safer to keep a password item in case it is needed later when creating a login.

Once you have a login the password item is no longer needed.

• tv1pw
    tv1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Hello -

I would also like to do a security audit on my account but cannot see any settings to action this, where is this functionality?

I am using 1PW as a Family Account on Windows 10 1PW 6 & Android 6.0.1. & also use it on 1PW.com

Thanks for your advice

• ctfishman
    ctfishman
    Community Member
    Options

The tools are at the bottom of the sidebar of the 1Password window. Only the heading that said "Security Audit" was visible originally, but when I moused over it it gave the option to show the tools.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

danco is right on: Password items are there primarily as a safety net for generated passwords, so they don't slip through the cracks if something goes wrong. It's safe to delete them so long as they're either unused or already part of a Login item.

@ctfishman: Unfortunately those Security Audit features are limited to 1Password for Mac currently. It has quite a head start on the other apps, since it's been around for a full decade now.

@tv1pw: We're working to bring Security Audit in all of its glory to all platforms, including the web app, but I can't say exactly when this will be completed.

• tv1pw
    tv1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty - as a new convert to 1PW I am seeing quite a lot of deficiencies in the Windows / Android versions, but it is still a great product, so will patiently wait for developments.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tv1pw: Your welcome! And likewise, thanks for choosing 1Password, and for taking the time to reach out to us about this (and anything else you think of)! It's definitely helpful to know that you're wishing for the Security Audit features on Windows and Android, as this kind of feedback helps us prioritize development.

You're right that the 1Password Windows and Android apps are a bit behind, and it's something that we're not happy about either. Since 1Password for Mac and iOS both predate our other apps, they have a significant head start, and since they can share a lot of code, we're able to move really fast there as well.

But 2016 was a big year for 1Password on both Windows and Android, as we've been ramping up to close that gap. While we still have a long way to go in some areas, we've made a lot of progress, and we'll continue to do so. Hearing from folks like you reminds us why we're so passionate about making the 1Password experience the best it can be, and more consistent across all platforms. Don't ever hesitate to reach out with any other comments, questions, or suggestions you might have. And I hope you're having a happy new year! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.