To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

locked out of account after master password change via browser

mharsch
mharsch
Community Member

I recently changed my master password through the 1password.com account interface. The change appeared to be accepted but subsequent attempts to login always fail. I am able to change the master password (same new password) on devices, but am unable to login to my 1password.com account from either browsers or devices (using old or new password).

It's possible that I mistyped the new master password into change password form (wrong twice) but I think this is unlikely, and I have tried every likely permutation without success.

If I had to guess, this feels like a bug in the 'change master password' page of the 1password.com site that allows the user to enter a new password (twice) but mangles the string after the match verification step.

I'm going to create a new account and test the same scenario to see if I can reproduce the failure mode.

1Password Version: 6.1.286d
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Account
Referrer: forum-search:locked out master password change

Comments

• mharsch
    mharsch
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

could not recreate the same failure on a new account. Maybe I mistyped the new account password (twice) -- user error, or maybe not (bug). Either way, this experience has taught me how easy it can be to lock yourself out of your account (with no real recourse but to send an email to support and ask for your account to be reset/deleted).

ref: VFH-43765-766

• Hi @mharsch! Sorry for the trouble. I see Steve responded to your email about this, and you have deleted your account so you can start over. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you. We ask you to confirm your Master Password so typos don't get in there, but there are cases where a typo can happen twice. If you do see something like this in the future and you're sure you typed it correctly, let us know the steps you took and we'll look into the issue. :) Hope your new account is working well. We're here if you have some other questions.

• fatgingercat
    fatgingercat
    Community Member

I have exactly the same problem after buying a new macbook to replace broken MacBook Air. I cannot log into 1Password using master password. I have all the other details, the master password, typed in every possible form, is rejected. Is it possible for me to restart using 1Password? I have all my information written at home, but cannot install on new computer or verify that I am a paid-up member with an account!

• @fatgingercat I see you've emailed us about this too. I'm going to respond there and we'll do our best to get you going on your new computer. :)

ref: HUM-14128-781

• h4ns3n
    h4ns3n
    Community Member

I have a similar issue and I can verify 100% that the password entered as my password is what I am typing. I am convinced there is a bug when changing passwords on the online application. The master password I used is a slight variation of a password I type 100 times a day to unlock my macbook so there is absolutely no chance I got it wrong twice.

• Hi h4ns3n - Thank you for reaching out to us. I sent you over an email so we can discuss in a little more detail. At your convenience, reply back to my email so we can work on this together :-) Talk to you soon!

ref: YFE-91699-389

This discussion has been closed.