Android app does not recognize opvault and says there is no vault in sync folder, how to proceed?

ntlv
ntlv
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Android

I followed the guide on how to upgrade to opvault. It worked fine on OS X so I enabled folder sync. The folder is synced to my android device using syncthing. The opvault shows up on my Android device and using a file explorer I can see that it has contents and has the same size as the vault on my laptop. When I try to add the vault to 1password on Android however it fails, saying "No vault found".

EDIT: Everything works fine over wifi-sync but I'd rather use folder sync as I need to sync the vault between a windows and a os x machine as well as two android phones.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: not applicable
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: folder
Referrer: kb:switch-to-opvault, kb:starting-over

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntlv: I'm sorry for the confusion! While 1Password for Android can now read the OPVault format, currently this only works with Dropbox Sync. And of course Wi-Fi Sync is an option too. Folder Sync support is something we'd like to add though, so it's good to know that's your preference. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member

I just received new 1password 6.3 android update with OPvault support ! Yeaaaahhhhh, finally !
    Reset my android app, sync my OPvault on my Android phone (not with Dropbox) and ..... OPvault support doesn't work on local storage :-(
    OPvault support is only through Dropbox sync ? Do you plan to add OPvault support with local storage ?

• saad
    edited April 2016

Oh :( sorry to burst the bubble like that. OPVault is only supported for Dropbox sync at the moment. We don’t have immediate plans to support it for local storage sync, but I will let the team know there is interest for it.

• Webnerd
    Webnerd
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password with Synology Cloudstation as I don't want to share my data with a 2nd party service.
    It's pretty annoying that OPVault cannot be used with local folders!
    Especially finding this information is not easy! :-(

• Hey @Webnerd. I saw that you emailed us, and responded to you there. Let us know if you need anything else!

• jryans
    jryans
    Community Member

This is also an important feature for me. I use folder sync exclusively, so for the moment it appears I can't use OPVault with Android.

Please consider this feature for an upcoming release!

It's also quite hard to find from the support docs that it doesn't work with folder sync. For example, when looking at "How to switch...", I don't see anywhere that says OPVault does not work with folder sync on Android.

• Thanks for the feedback, @jryans. I'll let the team know support for local OPVault vaults is important to you. :)

• bagbreeder
    bagbreeder
    Community Member

Hi,
    I ran into the same problem, trying to sync my Android device via folder sync while using Cloud Station Drive to access the vault in my Synology NAS.
    Some users in the internet already got it to run. So am I missing something?
    Any updates from the AgileBits Team? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@bagbreeder: Nothing to announce yet. Currently OPVault support in 1Password for Android is limited to Dropbox, but we'll be expanding that in a future version. For now you can export the data to a local folder if you wish.

• bagbreeder
    bagbreeder
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt answer brenty!
    I've just checked out the WLAN server feature. Didn't know it is available yet for Android :)
    But good to know the folder sync is on your agenda ;)
    Thanks and keep it going - I really like 1PW

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thank you! We couldn't do what we do without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. Have a great weekend! :)

• eraser1320
    eraser1320
    Community Member

+1 OPVault folder sync.

I have to say, I'm a little irritated this doesn't work yet. But I understand I guess that your target market is not the people who would use the feature. I just hope it's actually on your road map!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eraser1320: As I mentioned in my reply to your duplicate post in another discussion, it isn't so much that we don't care about all 1Password users, but that we do try to focus on things that will do the most good for the greatest number of people. OPVault/Folder Sync isn't something everyone depends on, but it is definitely on the roadmap. Thanks again for letting us know this is important to you. :)

ref: OPA-931

• jryans
    jryans
    Community Member

I really wish 1Password was open source! ;)

From the outside, it feels like this should be low effort to fix, since the Android app already knows about folder sync in general, and it already supports OPVault via Dropbox. It feels like the OPVault code just needs to be wired up to folder sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jryans: I don't think we'll be going open source, but I can definitely relate to your sentiments. I think if 1Password for Android had been designed with OPVault from the start you'd be totally right. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that. I wish that were the case, but we've made our bed and we'll lie in it...after a hard day's night of working on this and other improvements. Thanks for your encouragement! :)

This discussion has been closed.