How do I transfer my 1Password data to replacement iPhone?

sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited June 2016 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1P6 - iCloud sync - Why?.

Comments

• blondini
    blondini
    Community Member

Hi I'm relaxing my old I phone with a new one & I believe I will have to the install I password again. Will my passwords be saved by logging into the new download or do I have to re enter them again? Thanks

• blondini
    blondini
    Community Member

Sorry, meant replacing!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@blondini providing you are syncing your passwords via iCloud, teams/families, dropbox etc, you'll be OK. However you can be doubly sure by making a backup in your iPhone first (which you can download to your Mac/PC through iTunes) if you like.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @blondini ,

I chuckled when I saw you were relaxing your phone, I need some of that myself! JamesHenderson is right, you won't need to reenter all your data again as long as you make a backup and sync the phones. If you have a chance to have both the old and the new phones at the same time, the easiest path for you is to set up iCloud sync on your old phone, download 1Password on the new one, click on use without an account and then sync to iCloud right away. All your data will be available in a moment on your new device!

The instruction on how to sync via iCloud can be found here: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/

Please be careful to not delete 1Password from your old phone until it's been safely backed up somewhere!

Please let us know how everything goes for you and if you have any other questions that we can help you with! :chuffed:

PS: Your comments and the replies have been split into this new discussion in the iOS category.

• blondini
    blondini
    Community Member

Hi I thought that I could sync from my old phone biut of course my new 6s plus has to have a sim in it before it will sync & im going to use my existing sim so if I take it out of my old 6s it won't work:( both phones have to have a sim in them .. Bugar.. I've backed up to I cloud but how do I transfer the password data from I cloud onto the phone;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Howdy @blondini,

I thought that I could sync from my old phone biut of course my new 6s plus has to have a sim in it before it will sync & im going to use my existing sim so if I take it out of my old 6s it won't work

That's okay because there's no way to sync 1Password data directly between both of your phones. That's where iCloud comes in …

I've backed up to I cloud but how do I transfer the password data from I cloud onto the phone;)

To get your 1Password data from iCloud onto your new phone, you'll set up syncing with iCloud on your new phone with the instructions for iOS here:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/?ios

After that's done you'll want to check that all the 1Password data you need is there, like on your old phone.

Hope this goes smoothly for you! If you run into any trouble please describe some details about how you're stuck and we'll be here to help you out. :)

• jdunn47
    jdunn47
    Community Member

I need help transferring my 1Password data onto my new Phone 7. I synced the data from from iPhone 5 onto the Cloud - followed the instruction to go onto iTunes, click on the new device, and download - it downloaded to my iPhone 7 but when I attempt to open the app IPhone 7 it will not accept my Master Key. I can open the app with the master key on my IPhone5 - My original app was just for me - downloaded from the Apple Store (I don't have an Account Number or any other numbers- just the master key)

• Hi @jdunn47,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Could you please post the link to the guide that you are following?

Ben

• jdunn47
    jdunn47
    Community Member

Hi - thanks for getting back to me. I was finally able to accomplish the download of the 1Password app from iCloud (not iTunes) to my new phone. So I am in good shape. Jdunn47

• Thanks for the update @jdunn47. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.