websites in folders

Options

We develop locally, and have around 40 websites which are accessed by localhost/websitename

You get a list of ALL websites when you try to complete a password on any of these sites.

Is there a way to get 1password to look at 2 levels of the URL?

thanks

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: 1 Password for Teams

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Zander_venn,

1Password only matches using the domain and doesn't look at the path at all. My understanding is a much older version of 1Password might have done this but we found it confused so many people that we moved to just using the domain. We do respect subdomains but that might be a colossal pain to arrange for 40 sites. Sorry I can't offer something more positive.

It seems there is also a security aspect too as explained by Jamie .

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

hi @littlebobbytables - Thanks for the reply - could it not have been switched to an option - rather than removed entirely?

The subdomain thing doesn't really work when working locally - or at least it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zander_venn So, there are two parts to this: the confusion that the old behavior caused and the technical limitations that we face when we updated our data format.

If we were only talking about the user confusion part, an option might be valid, but even today we have an option that causes confusion even within our own team called "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites". We've discussed and iterated on that single checkbox more than I would care to admit and it is still a source of confusion. (If you're not sure if you need this, you don't and should leave it in its default "off" state. :)) Back in the 1Password 2 days, when 1Password could just grab your URLs in plain text, we did have an implementation of path matching for URLs. We even had a neat three level meter in red that showed up next to the items. All this did was cause users to ask what the red indicators were for… :| This has not been in 1Password since 1Password 3 was released. (If my memory serves me well.)

That being said, we also now face a technical challenge. Specifically, we now encrypt everything in your items, including the title and URL. In order to facilitate fast lookups, we also keep hashes of your URLs hostnames and root domain names. So, when you go to newsubdomain.example.com that 1Password has never seen before, we can still offer you all your Logins that happen to have example.com as the root domain. There's a lot that goes into this but that's the gist. Since we are storing hashes only in order not to decrypt every item's overview in order to determine which items to show for the current page, this is a limitation. Of course, it wouldn't be impossible to get the matching Logins and then decrypt them and do further comparisons, but given we've already been down that road before and the current comparison options that are available to us already cause confusion, we're erring on the side of simplicity right now.

I hope that makes sense and explains a bit about why we don't attempt to reimplement the kind of matching that you're asking for. We have a saying at AgileBits that "No decision is final", so I won't say never. But I also won't get your hopes up. This isn't something we're looking at right now and it's not on our radar for further exploration at this time.

Do let us know if you have any other questions or if we can help with anything else.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.