To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I cannot sync my old local vault with my new 1password account vault

Options
njd123
njd123
Community Member

I had a local vault for years. Then I tried to create a new vault this year and was forced to create an account. I used the same email address and password for both. At the time I did not realise what I was entering into. It was not well explained (if at all) that 1password had fundamentally changed into a subscription service. So at the time of creating the new vault, I did not bother moving the items from my old vault into the new one (I was ignorant of the benefits to do that).

Now the app on my phone shows me 2 vaults, my primary one (old local) and my personal one). It froze my acccount until I coughed up some money. I went ahead and paid the money, resigning myself to the fact that the business model of 1password is to migrate as many people as possible to the subscription service.

But now I do not seem to be able to transfer my old items from the local vault into the new vault. I do not see an option on your website or my my app that allows me to do it. The videos on your support forum do not help. Please assist.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @njd123,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

First, you absolutely do not have to have a 1Password account subscription if you don't want one. There are some fantastic benefits to having an account vs just a standalone license + local vault, but if you don't want those benefits, you don't need to have a subscription. Learn more about the benefits of a 1Password account.

Indeed, even if your account is frozen, you can always get your data out of your 1Password account. Your data is yours, and we would never extort money from you in order to access it.

With all that said, you can move items from one vault to another, and you can do it in either direction: into a vault in your 1Password account, or into your local vault.

1. On your Mac, open and unlock 1Password, and make sure you have both vaults available there. Learn how to switch vaults to make sure.
    2. Then move the items.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• njd123
    njd123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there

Yes, now I realise that I did not actually need to have a 1Password account subscription, but I only realised that after I had paid a year's subscription money. Let's be honest, you don't make it very clear - this is self-evident from the dozens of questions related to this in your discussion forums.

When you say 'On your Mac, open and unlock 1Password', I do not have the 1Password app on my Mac. This costs an additional £45 according to the Apple Store. First I paid for the original iphone app, then I was led into paying for a subscription, and now I have to pay £45 for the mac app as well?

Thanks

Nick

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @njd123

Sorry for the confusion. If you have a 1Password.com account, you get all of the apps for each platform included in the price of the subscription, so you don't need to purchase any additional app from the Mac App Store ;) It is only if you decide not to use a 1Password account that you need to purchase the standalone apps.

To download 1Password for Mac, simply login to your 1Password account online, click on your username in the top right corner and select Get the Apps. You will be able do download 1Password for Mac for free from there.

Let me know if you have any questions ok?

• njd123
    njd123
    Community Member
    Options

The nightmare continues. So I downloaded the mac app and logged in to 'local vault', and then added my online account. I saw 2 vaults, 'Primary' (the local one), and 'Personal' (the online one). I copied all items from Primary to Personal as per the instructions above, and then I deleted the Primary vault as per instructions elsewhere on your site. Thinking that the problem was now solved, I then went to my iphone app and saw that the old Primary vault is still sitting there - and more than that, there are 100+ items that did not appear in the mac app when I copied items across, and which I now can only access on my phone. What on earth is going on here please?

• @njd123 Thanks for the update! Deleting the Primary vault on one device just deletes it there, so you'll need to remove it from your iPhone and other devices as well. However, just to clarify, are you noticing that there are over 100 items which were not on your Mac when you moved things to your Personal vault?

• njd123
    njd123
    Community Member
    Options

Correct. The last thing I want to do now is to delete the local account on my phone as I will lose 100+ items. Now I am very worried

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@njd123 No worries. If the 100+ items in the Primary vault on your iPhone are indeed not duplicates from items that you have on your other devices, you'd definitely want to secure them prior to deleting the Primary vault.

To do that, I'd recommend moving your local data from the Primary vault to your Personal vault (that's the one connected to your account). We recently introduced the ability to bulk move items on iOS. Please see this knowledge base article to learn how to do it.

Once the items are stored in your Personal vault, you can delete the Primary vault on your iPhone as well. Please note that the Primary vault is always a local one, so you'll need to delete it on each device you own separately.

This discussion has been closed.