syncing stimied by old unneeded vault

dave27
dave27
Community Member

I have no difficulty in syncing my iphone with my imac using the cloud, but cannot sync my iphone with my mac laptop using that method. I get the message: 1password found existing data in icloud. It will be merged with your current vault. Then, after getting me to sign in again, the following message appears: 1password detected that the data in the Primary Vault is different from the data you selected in the cloud. I am then asked to provide the password for the old (1963) vault. I don't have this password. I don't want the 1963 vault data to be used, but I am not given that choice. The problem could presumably be solved if I could delete the 1963 vault, and I would like to know how to do that. Is the vault a keychain? where would it be located?

For my iphone: 1Password version 6.5.1; Operating System iOS 10.2; Sync type icloud
The details for my laptop are given below.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6 (OS X El Capitan)
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dave27,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing 1Password with iCloud on your MacBook!

If I understand, you're currently syncing 1Password between your iPhone and your iMac via iCloud, and that's working correctly. You also want to sync it with your MacBook so all three devices have the same 1Password data. Is that correct?

I get the message: 1password found existing data in icloud. It will be merged with your current vault. Then, after getting me to sign in again, the following message appears: 1password detected that the data in the Primary Vault is different from the data you selected in the cloud.

That's expected, because you already have a copy of your 1Password data/vault in iCloud - it's a copy of the data in 1Password on your iPhone and iMac. And it sounds like you have an existing vault in 1Password on your MacBook which is at least a little different from the one in iCloud. When you merge them, 1Password will compare the data on the MacBook to the data in iCloud, and update both so they have the same information. Any new/updated items that are copied from your MacBook to iCloud will also be copied to your iPhone and iMac.

I am then asked to provide the password for the old (1963) vault.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the old (1963) vault." Is that the number of items in the vault in iCloud?

I don't have this password.

As long as you're syncing with the same Apple ID / iCloud account as on your iPhone and iMac, that should be the same master password you use to unlock 1Password on those devices. You'll need to enter that master password in order to start syncing that data with your MacBook.

I don't want the 1963 vault data to be used, but I am not given that choice.

I'm a little confused, because the data in your iCloud account should be the same as the data on your iPhone and iMac (since both of those are syncing with iCloud). Are you saying you don't want to sync the vault on your MacBook with the vault on your iPhone/iMac/iCloud?

The problem could presumably be solved if I could delete the 1963 vault, and I would like to know how to do that. Is the vault a keychain? where would it be located?

That vault is in iCloud, but there's no visible file that you can see. 1Password uses Apple's CloudKit technology for syncing via iCloud, which doesn't show files the way iCloud Drive does. There's an option to reset your 1Password data in iCloud, but doing that would break the sync between your iPhone and iMac (and when you re-enable sync with iCloud on those devices, it would copy their data back to iCloud again).

Maybe I misunderstood what you're trying to do? If you can elaborate on how you want the sync to work between each of your three devices, that should help us understand and to let you know your options. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.