Issues surrounding app update / switch from Dbox to cloud

no_username
no_username
Community Member

I bought v5 of 1Password from iTunes, have an account key.

I can't remember why I switched from v5/dropbox to v6/cloud... I believe it had to do with syncing across iphone & android. In any case, I switched, and updated all my apps at the same time. This has caused two issues.

Issue 1: I'm getting emails about a "trial" expiring. Is my standalone v5 license no good for V6/cloud sync?

Issue 2: I now have two vaults, with some duplicated records (I believe there was a migration process I followed). I don't really trust the integrity of either vault, have no idea where I have been saving new records, and would like to collate the two and completely delete the old vault just for my piece of mind.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: v.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @no_username

Thank you for taking some time to write to us, I'm sorry for the confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it can work. If you got 1Password 5 from the AppStore then you can use 1Password 6 with local vaults, however this does not include a 1Password.com subscription. You can still sync via Dropbox, but if you want the automatic syncing through our servers then you do need to use the account that is frozen :chuffed: You can read more about the differences between licenses and subscriptions and what they entail here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/the-difference-between-a-1password-com-account-and-standalone-license#latest

Please let us know if you have any other questions about these difference! When you decide which of the two options you rather keep on using please let us know and we'll guide you through the process of getting you set up in the option that you've chosen :chuffed:

• no_username
    no_username
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Ok, well I'll go back to the local vaults, assuming it will all still work on my Android & iOS phones too.

How do I collate the subscription vault to my old local one? That is... add the new records I've added to the sub vault over the past month to the local vault without creating duplicates.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @no_username,

Ok, well I'll go back to the local vaults, assuming it will all still work on my Android & iOS phones too.

You assume correctly! :) The Android and iOS versions of 1Password will definitely still work with local vaults. It sounds like you still have a local ("Primary") vault in 1Password on your Mac - does that Primary vault sync with 1Password on your Android and iOS devices? If so, that will make the switch much easier.

How do I collate the subscription vault to my old local one? That is... add the new records I've added to the sub vault over the past month to the local vault without creating duplicates.

In your first post, it sounds like you might already have some duplicates in your vaults. If you know for sure which copies are newer/updated, you can delete the older/outdated copies before moving all the items from your account vault (Personal) to your local vault (Primary). Alternately, you can move the items first and then delete duplicates from Primary.

You can find steps to move items from one vault to another here: Move items between vaults

Please note that if you have any Documents items in your account/Personal vault, you'll need to save them somewhere on your Mac first (like the Desktop), then add them as attachments to items in your Primary vault.

Once you get the items moved to the local/Primary vault (and clean up duplicates), you can remove the 1Password.com account from 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Finally, you just need to sync that Primary vault to your Android and iOS devices. I'm not sure if you still have the old Primary vault on those devices or not, so let us know how it all goes up to this point and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• no_username
    no_username
    Community Member

"Does that Primary vault sync with 1Password on your Android and iOS devices? If so, that will make the switch much easier."

No idea. It all "just worked" for years until I screwed with the new account. I probably gave the account transition 45 seconds of critical thought.

I just merged all the frozen account's records into my old one... which means almost 1000 duplicated records I'll have to slowly sort through over the next... year? The only way I can think to test each one it to try to log in... see which one works, and delete the other. 1000 times.

You guys gotta keep a simple mental model so users don't screw things up. Password management just doesn't get space in my brain, that's sort of the point of 1Password. New accounts coexisting with old ones, with preferences for where records are saved... too much complexity.

• no_username
    no_username
    Community Member

Oh, and thanks for your help... never mind my luddite rant.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @no_username,

I'm sorry you ended up with so many duplicates! What I think may have happened is that when you originally migrated to your new account vault, you chose the option to 'copy' your items there instead of choosing to 'move' them, which means you ended up with copies of the same items in both vaults. For most customers switching to a 1Password.com account, that's not a problem because they would delete the Primary vault after doing that, so the duplicates would be gone. But you're absolutely right that we need to make this simpler, and our latest versions help by offering to automatically move items from Primary to Personal, and also by offering to automatically delete the Primary vault afterwards. I'm very sorry that wasn't the case when you tried out an account!

However, the good news is that I don't think you'll need to test 1000 items. The majority of your duplicate items should be identical to each other - if they have the same "last modified" date, it shouldn't matter which one you keep and which one you delete, because they should be exactly the same. If you've updated any of your items, you'll want to delete the older/outdated copies - and again, that should be easy to do by comparing the "last modified" date in the item details.

To make it as easy as possible, make sure you're viewing the Primary vault in 1Password on your Mac, select All Items from the left sidebar, and sort the list of items by title (which is the default). Your duplicate items should be next to each other in the list, and as you look through them, check the "last modified" date. For each pair of duplicates, keep the newer copy and delete the older copy. Or if they're identical, flip a coin. ;)

Again, I apologize that you ran into so much trouble with this. I hope this helps, but if you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.