Feature request: additional categories

Brax2003
Brax2003
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Lounge

Other than putting gift card info in the Credit Card category, can we get a new Gift Card Category?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:request new feature

Comments

• Brax2003
    Brax2003
    Community Member

Can we get a new Category for Insurance Cards?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:request new feature

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Brax2003: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your two similar posts into a single "categories" discussion.

Other than putting gift card info in the Credit Card category, can we get a new Gift Card Category?

Indeed! I put mine in the Credit Card category generally, unless I have a good reason not to. We can certainly consider adding additional categories in a future version, but "category inflation" may become unwieldy.

Can we get a new Category for Insurance Cards?

I actually store mine as Memberships, but in most cases Secure Notes are a great option for information that isn't a good fit elsewhere:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

And the ability to customize sections and fields makes it very flexible. I hope this helps. Thanks again for the feedback on this! :)

• pdofak
    pdofak
    Community Member

Hi!
    While it is true that Secure Notes covers all bases, it might be worthwhile to have the ability to create categories. Or does just get too messy? Case in point I'd like a cat for Vehicles.
    No worries, I can use a Secure Note.

• @pdofak,

We'd definitely like to do something like that in the future, but it'll take a bit of infrastructure work to get there. I can't make any promises at this point, but that is a direction I could see us moving in.

Ben

• Nonylus
    Nonylus
    Community Member

Custom categories would make 1Password too perfect ;p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

I hope only hyperbolically, because then we'd be out of fun things to do with 1Password in the future. But yeah, custom categories are definitely on our wish list as well. ;)

• vtbunny
    vtbunny
    Community Member

Custom categories would seal the deal for me! I currently use SplashID and love that you can easily customize/add/change categories for any card.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, custom categories are a bit of a double-edged sword when it comes to interoperability too. To the machines they're gibberish, but to the humans they're easier to manage — and having the flexibility to change can help too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.