I migrated from an iMac to a MacBook and my iPhone can't find my MacBook

1password preferences doesn't show a sync option. the sync option within 1password shows an iPhone offline and synced 2 years ago.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"sync" doesn't appear in 1password preferences using a macbook

Comments

• Hi @pfaffe,

Are you running 3.8.22 on the MacBook or did you install 1Password 6 and sign up for a 1Password.com subscription trial? It looks like it might be the later but want to confirm first. If you did then that would be why the new machine doesn't show a Sync option. 1Password.com subscription accounts handle all the sync automatically so no external sync services are support when you're using 1Password that way.

Rudy

• pfaffe
    pfaffe
    Community Member

I am running 3.8.22 on the MacBook. That's what comes up when I click on "about 1Password". When I click on "check for updates" it says I'm up to date. I can sync between my iPhone and iPad using iCloud, but just can't find ANY sync choices on my MacBook. Presently I'm forced to enter new logins separately on each device.

• @pfaffe,

Thanks for clarifying. While the current versions of 1Password support iCloud sync, 1Password 3 for Mac long predates the ability to sync with iCloud. You would need to use 1Password 6 on your Mac to be able to sync your data to the same location that your iPhone and iPad are syncing.

Rudy

• pfaffe
    pfaffe
    Community Member

When I first migrated to the MacBook my iOS devices where set to sync using WLAN, which had worked fine with the old iMac. However, when I entered a login on the MacBook it wouldn't show up on the iOS devices. That's when I switched the iOS devices to an iCloud sync. Is there a way to get back to the WLAN sync or will I have to upgrade to 1Password 6?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pfaffe,

The WLAN Server / Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 4, 5, and 6 for iOS will only work with 1Password 4, 5, and 6 for Mac. Similarly, the Wi-Fi Sync option in 1Password 3 for Mac will only work with 1Password 3 for iOS. That's because, starting in version 4, there were major changes to Wi-Fi sync (basically, it was completely re-written), and it isn't backwards-compatible with the Wi-Fi sync option in version 3. If you had been using WLAN Server (the new name for Wi-Fi sync) in 1Password 6 for iOS with your iMac, your iMac must have been running 1Password 4 or higher.

So unfortunately, 1Password 3 for Mac won't be able to sync with 1Password 6 for iOS via iCloud or via WLAN Server. However, even if it could, you would run into other problems trying to use 1Password 3 for Mac on macOS Sierra, or with certain web browsers. We explain more about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

Your best option will be to upgrade to 1Password 6 on your Mac, and there are two ways to do that. Going forward, the easiest option will be to sign up for a 1Password.com account, as that will allow you to use the latest version of 1Password on all your devices (future versions are also included with the subscription). With a 1Password.com account, the 1Password apps on your Mac and iOS devices would automatically sync data through our own server (instead of through iCloud, WLAN Server, etc). There would be no sync settings for you to configure, as you would simply sign into your account in the 1Password app on each device.

Alternately, if you don't want to sign up for an account, you can upgrade your current license to a 1Password 6 for Mac license. Just visit our Upgrade Store and enter your 1Password 3 license code to see your upgrade discount. Keep in mind that with a license, future new versions of 1Password might also be a paid upgrade.

For more information about the difference between a 1Password account and a 1Password license, please take a look here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

• pfaffe
    pfaffe
    Community Member

I opened an account, but I don't know how to transfer my version 3.8.22 data from my MacBook to the account. Is there a way to transfer from an iOS device?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pfaffe: If you're using a recent version of 1Password for iOS, that may be possible. But a better option would be to open your existing vault in 1Password for Mac and copy the data over to your account. Just make sure that local vaults are enabled in 1Password Preferences > Advanced, and then you can double click the vault you were using with 1Password 3 to add it, and right click to Share and copy everything over. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• pfaffe
    pfaffe
    Community Member

I don't understand what you're telling me. There's nothing called local vaults in preferences(advanced). I'm using a trackpad on a MacBook so there's no "right click." I can highlight and copy, but can't paste into my account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't understand what you're telling me. There's nothing called local vaults in preferences(advanced).

@pfaffe: Try this:

I'm using a trackpad on a MacBook so there's no "right click." I can highlight and copy, but can't paste into my account.

Me too! By default, a MacBook trackpad registers a right-click when using two fingers, or you can hold the Control key when clicking:

Let me know how you get along. :)

This discussion has been closed.