Strange behavior with Dropbox

Up until about a week ago I was running 3 devices all syncing through Dropbox:

Mac Mini (Late 2012) running 10.10.5 / 1Password 4
Mac Mini (Late 2006) running 10.6.8 / 1Password 3
iPhone 4s running iOS 6 / 1Password 4

Everything was syncing perfectly and had been for a long time. Picked up a new phone (iPhone SE) last week and updated the phone & the Late 2012 Mini to 1Password 5. Obviously can't update the old one past where it is.

Used it for a few days / entered some new passwords, etc. All entries were made on either the newer Mini or the phone.

Noticed today that (with one exception that I'll hit later) any new / changed entries since I switched over don't show up on the old mini running 1Password 3. Dropbox is still active on the computer / everything is up to date (the file log in Dropbox even shows the 1PW database having been updated on the old Mini 40 minutes ago when I added something on the new Mini...)

To rule out anything strange with Dropbox, I copied the datafile from the Dropbox folder into another folder and pointed 1PW to it. It loads the dataset but still is missing the newer entries.

Now the strangest part.... After pointing it back to the Dropbox folder and playing around with things for a while, I reopened 1PW (again, on the old Mini) and now one of the new entries was there. All the fields, etc. were complete. Can't get it to see the other new entries regardless of what I do.

Don't really care if I'm able to add / change entries on the old Mini and have them carry forward. All I really would like is for it to be able to see the whole current database.

Thoughts??? Thanks much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aclar10185: Indeed, since 1Password 3 predates the newer data types supported by 1Password 4 and later, it will result in some compatibilities going back and forth between them. So the best thing to do is treat 1Password 3 as "reader" and make no changes there For compatibility, newer versions of 1Password will read and write the data only to a newer section of the item. Similarly, 1Password 3 doesn't know about the newer section, so it will ignore it completely. This is why you're not seeing your changes reflected there -- they are in the new section which 1Password 3 doesn't know about; it is only reading the legacy data. And anything in a custom section or field can never be read by 1Password 3. Does that help make sense of things?

• aclar10185
    aclar10185
    Community Member

Thanks for the help brenty. It makes sense....kinda. Like I said, I'm completely good using the old Mini as a reader. Understand that there are fields present in 1PW4 / 5 which are not present in1PW3 which is why they may not be shown. What I can't figure out is why brand new entries (like the one I created yesterday for this forum login) are not seen at all. I've got 417 total entries in the database seen by the new Mini & the phone. I've got 416 entries - everything but AgileBits - seen by the old Mini. It's not seeing new entries - not just certain fields - entire entries.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I can't figure out is why brand new entries (like the one I created yesterday for this forum login) are not seen at all. I've got 417 total entries in the database seen by the new Mini & the phone. I've got 416 entries - everything but AgileBits - seen by the old Mini. It's not seeing new entries - not just certain fields - entire entries.

@aclar10185: Okay, then I think I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying that for me! That sounds more like a sync issue. If you create a new item on the old mini with 1Password 3, does it show up on the other devices? Please follow the steps in this guide, as it should help narrow down the problem:

Dropbox troubleshooting

For example, common issues are Dropbox being paused or out of date, or syncing with a different vault on some devices.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report for each so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Post the Support ID you receive here so I can take a look. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• aclar10185
    aclar10185
    Community Member

So...opened 1PW3 on the old Mini and today the new login I created for AgileBits is there. Nothing yesterday (even though Dropbox was telling me all files were up to late and the last change was literally seconds before). Now it's there. Did as you said and created a new entry on the old Mini - it immediately showed up on the new one. Went to the new one, deleted the entry and creted a second new entry. Not only did it immediately show up on the old Mini but the other one had been moved to the trash.

I guess it seems to work - there just appears to be a delay at times for items to sync over. Not sure why but at least it's working.

Agreed? Thanks again for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aclar10185: Awesome! That sounds promising, but I would encourage you to go through the Dropbox troubleshooting steps if you have any further issues. You can try creating files on each device in Dropbox and then verify that they're ending up on the site. There may be a delay or failure on a particular device in one direction or another. I know in the past I've had to disable LAN sync in Dropbox settings to get things working. And frankly I'm not certain of the support status of Dropbox on legacy OSes, so that may be worth looking into as well. But for now if it's syncing for you, and you'll continue using 1Password only as a reader, I think that's pretty solid. :)

• aclar10185
    aclar10185
    Community Member

Thanks again brenty - will do. Cheers :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.