what happened to the 1p in browser

Used to some years back, I could simply begin my URL with "1P" followed by Discover and the discover card website would be retrieved and my credentials passed. Why was this removed, if it was?
I think the world of you guys. You build an awesome product - keep on keep'n on!

1Password 6
Version 6.5.3 (653000)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:what happened to the 1p in browser

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Georgec,

That might be a very old version as I can't say I've heard of that one. It was either a very old version or maybe it was something the browser was doing when caching previously visited URLs.

There is such a thing as 1click bookmarks. It works in at least Safari and Chrome and you can generate this 1click bookmark by dragging a Login item from the Item List pane in the main 1Password window to your browser window (I was dragging specifically to the bookmarks toolbar). When I did this it creates a new bookmark and it uses the open and fill data so that when used it will fill this loaded page with a particular Login item. Does this help at all as a replacement?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Georgec If I'm understanding properly, the feature you're talking about is for Chrome's omnibox search feature. Is that right? We had this in 1Password 3's extension, but there were a couple reasons this did not work well for later versions and it had to be removed:

1. After 1Password 3, the extension no longer maintains a copy of your 1Password data. It does not have its own concept of locked or unlocked either. So, we would either have to have the extension chatter back and forth with the main 1Password application for omnibox searching or the main application would have to send some metadata to the extension, which it would then keep unencrypted and could potentially get out of date. Neither of these is a great option.
    2. It caused issues with user confusion about why 1Password's autosubmit feature did not work. When the omnibox has focus, 1Password cannot force focus into the page content and without focus in the page content, autosubmit is not triggered because the "return key" simulation would press return in the omnibox and appear to simply reload the page after filling, which is not the desired result. AFAIK, this is a limitation of Chrome and not something we can work around ourselves. Given its popularity and the ease of invoking it from the omnibox, this was a large source of user confusion.

There are a couple alternatives in addition to the 1Click bookmarks Lil' Bobby described. First, you can use open and fill from 1Password mini. This is quite fast and offers similar searching. By default, 1Password mini can be brought up with Option-Command-\ or you can simply click the toolbar button in Chrome. Then you can search for an item, highlight it, and press return to invoke it to open and fill.

Another alternative is third party apps like Alfred or LaunchBar. By enabling third party support in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced, you'll make your Logins' titles and URLs available to these apps for quick searching. If you're already using one of these, then it might be a good addition to your workflow there.

I hope that helps clarify why this feature is no longer available and also gives a good path forward for efficiently accessing you 1Password Logins.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Georgec
    Georgec
    Community Member

Thank you for the update on this. Will get used to the extension method and move on.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for understanding, @Georgec. Let us know if we can help with anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.