version 6 for windows doesn't allow items to be added or edited and that it is just a "beta" version

mikobr
mikobr
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

After establishing my account in early December, I learned that version 6 for windows doesn't allow items to be added or edited and that it is just a "beta" version. Has this been corrected? If not, is there any timetable for when I can start using version 6 (I went back to 4 when I realized this defect existed). Thanks. Mike O'Brien

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: 4.6.1.617
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:version 6 for windows doesn't allow items to be added or edited and that it is just a "beta" version

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @mikobr,

I am sorry for the inconvenience with 1Password 6 and the overall confusion.

After establishing my account in early December, I learned that version 6 for windows doesn't allow items to be added or edited and that it is just a "beta" version. Has this been corrected? If not, is there any timetable for when I can start using version 6 (I went back to 4 when I realized this defect existed).

As Ancillas has already noted above, 1Password 6 doesn't fully support local vaults at the moment. We have plans to bring full support for local vaults, but I don't have any timeframe for you, I hope for your understanding. It is safe to stick to 1Password 4 for the time being, if you prefer using local vaults.

@Ancillas, it is a thankless job to try to forecast the timetable for software development. :) There are many pitfalls you can't predict and we don't want to promise something and don't deliver on it. Thank you for being passionate about our software, it means a lot to us. We are working day and night (literally) to improve 1Password 6 and I hope it shows. Please stay in touch and let's keep the conversation going. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• mikobr
    mikobr
    Community Member

Ancillas - Thanks for the forum references. So if I understand Greg correctly, maybe there will be a "beta" version 6 someday that might allow local access. That doesn't sound too encouraging for someone who doesn't always have Internet access but always wants their passwords. Not all passwords and security information, by the way, is limited to Internet use, and sometimes you need a "local vault" when the Internet isn't handy. Frankly, I went to a great deal of effort to move my security information into version 4 from my old password manager, almost messed everything up when I made the switch to version 6 (promptly removed when I learned of this "trap for the unwary"), and now I'm feeling less than secure about 1Password's commitment to getting this done at all.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mikobr:

The safety and security of your data is our top priority and I apologise for any inconvenience you are having with two 1Password apps that co-exist at the moment. This transition period was inevitable, because we could not build the support for 1Password accounts on top of 1Password 4. Again, I am really sorry for the confusion.

That doesn't sound too encouraging for someone who doesn't always have Internet access but always wants their passwords. Not all passwords and security information, by the way, is limited to Internet use, and sometimes you need a "local vault" when the Internet isn't handy.

If you are using 1Password account, your data is always cached locally on your devices, so you can access it via 1Password apps, even when you are offline. You can view and edit items without an internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

Frankly, I went to a great deal of effort to move my security information into version 4 from my old password manager, almost messed everything up when I made the switch to version 6

Could you please elaborate what difficulties you had with moving your data between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6? Your feedback is one of the most important things we can gather to improve 1Password, so it would mean a lot if you had some to share. And if something is broken, by all means let us know so we can fix it. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mikobr
    mikobr
    Community Member

Greg - The problem wasn't so much moving from 1Password 4 to 6, although that didn't work too well for me. I don't recall all the details of the exact problem, but your online instructions didn't work. I also recall not having the slightest idea what your instructions meant by selecting the .opvault or .agilekeychair folder, and the animated video instructions didn't work for me. So I ended up migrating my data from 4 to 6 by just exporting a 1pif file from 4.6 and importing it into 6. It worked (sort of), and I never heard back from 1Password on whether that was a good and recommended solution. Fortunately, I ignored the AgileBits suggestion to uninstall the old version 4.6 so that when I learned that ver. 6 couldn't be used offline, I was able to uninstall that and go back to ver. 4. Frankly, someone at AgileBits should be warning customers about that very significant limitation built into ver. 6.

The reason getting onto version 4 was time consuming is different. I had been using a program called Ascendo DataVault. My Ascendo DataVault was suddenly no longer syncing between the laptop and the phone, and their suggestion of trying a one-off beta version for my phone seemed risky (apparently they created it just for me). Not knowing if I was dealing with a Nigerian software salesman, I did some research and found 1Password but concluded there was no reliable method of exporting my Ascendo passwords to that program via something like a csv file export/import. Therefore, I spent about two days manually entering all the information in 1Password ver. 4. I made a specific calendar entry that I was "hopeful that this new password manager will be well supported because manually entering all this stuff was quite a project!" Consequently, I've been pretty disappointed in 1Password's lack of telephone support and failure to get 6 working for offline vault creation and use. But obviously you fellows have heard that before and have different agendas than I would prefer. Regards, Mike O'Brien

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@mikobr, @Ancillas: I'm really sorry about the experiences you've had. Can you tell us how it was that you came to use the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app in the first place? We're intentionally not prompting to update to this from 1Password 4. Once 1Password 6 is ready for local vaults we may notify users that it's available, as we have with previous versions, with the option to dismiss it permanently to avoid being a nag. Until then, we're definitely trying to avoid having folks upgrade who depend on this and other features that are not yet complete. We're working hard to get local vault support especially though, and I'd also love to hear what other features are at the top of your list after that!

• mikobr
    mikobr
    Community Member

One of my sons is a software developer, and I was talking to him at Thanksgiving about being confused about 1Password 4 and how it worked, what would happen if something happened to me and my computers, how exactly the family could use my 1Password credentials to obtain my passwords and security information, did I even have credentials or just a password, etc. When we realized it was a standalone system just residing on my devices and being synced together with Dropbox, he looked on your site and suggested that I get an "account" and switch over to version 6. That sounded good to me, and then the saga began. It never dawned on him or me that version 6 wouldn't have what you are calling a "local vault." For what it's worth, my son has been telling me from the outset that I should be switching over to a system he uses. My only reluctance has been the effort required to do that. You password management people remind me a little of the boat yards where I used to keep my sailboat. More importantly, it was where I kept the heavy, 40 X 15 X 8 "cradle" - the structural steel support on which 37 foot, 7 ton boat sat during the off season. One of the marinas owners only half-jokingly said, "You can sail away your boat, but once we've got your cradle in here, you can't really leave." And you know what - he was pretty much right, and leaving that yard took some unpleasant effort. Same with password management software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One of my sons is a software developer, and I was talking to him at Thanksgiving about being confused about 1Password 4 and how it worked, what would happen if something happened to me and my computers, how exactly the family could use my 1Password credentials to obtain my passwords and security information, did I even have credentials or just a password, etc. When we realized it was a standalone system just residing on my devices and being synced together with Dropbox, he looked on your site and suggested that I get an "account" and switch over to version 6. That sounded good to me, and then the saga began. It never dawned on him or me that version 6 wouldn't have what you are calling a "local vault."

@mikobr: Indeed, anyone losing all of their data which was stored only locally on their devices due to something as common as hardware failure terrifies me. I've lost data in the past, and I wish that it never happened to anyone. While it isn't something we promote much, having encrypted 1Password.com Account data stored on the server helps me sleep better at night, and whether or not most folks think about it, it's there for them too.

For what it's worth, my son has been telling me from the outset that I should be switching over to a system he uses. My only reluctance has been the effort required to do that. You password management people remind me a little of the boat yards where I used to keep my sailboat. More importantly, it was where I kept the heavy, 40 X 15 X 8 "cradle" - the structural steel support on which 37 foot, 7 ton boat sat during the off season. One of the marinas owners only half-jokingly said, "You can sail away your boat, but once we've got your cradle in here, you can't really leave." And you know what - he was pretty much right, and leaving that yard took some unpleasant effort. Same with password management software.

That's a really interesting analogy. Certainly there's going to be effort involved in moving to something new and learning to use it, but, while we're not perfect and neither is 1Password, we don't lock you into your data. Even if you try the 1Password.com subscription service and then decide not to pay, you're not locked out of your data, and you can export it to take it somewhere else. There's room for improvement, but of course getting your data in to another app isn't something 1Password can or should do. But those are the two big hurdles to switching, whether we're talking about moving away from 1Password, to it, or something else like switching to a different OS -- or learning a new trade to make a career change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up, @brenty. The professionalism of you and your team is always appreciated in the forums.

@Ancillas: Thanks for saying so. We're not perfect, but we try. It's tough for everyone involved that this doesn't make the work get done any faster though, but we're working hard to be able to give everyone more and more good news over time. :blush:

My general order of events is as follows.
    I begin using 1Password 4 for Windows, Mac, and iOS sometime in 2015. The experience on Windows is a bit rough compared to the experience on Mac, but I stick with it and figure out how to manage.

That's perfectly fair criticism. Windows has historically been a much smaller part of our userbase, and the size of our team reflected that. 1Password for Mac has a pretty substantial head start, and while I think it's too early to say that our Windows userbase is catching up yet, we expect that that gap will close to some degree in time, especially with the 1Password.com subscription service incentivizing more folks to use 1Password their PCs, since it's included and a lot of folks use Windows at work, even if they use Macs at home. So we're investing a lot in getting the new, modern app up to speed so we can have a truly first class experience across all platforms. We're not there yet, but we're making good progress.

Around mid-2016, I start thinking about getting my wife to use 1Password. She thinks it sounds complicated, so I install the 1Password for Windows from the Windows Store on her PC, not realizing the significant limitations between Windows "metro" apps, and browser extensions (i.e. she couldn't auto-fill or capture logins from her browser).

Ah, I hear you. Thankfully, it's gotten a bit less confusing since then, and will continue to get easier as we work toward having a single Windows app that works for everyone.

I install 1Password 4 on my wife's computer, and she starts adding passwords. She finds my long master password obnoxious, and stops using 1Password 4. A month or two later, I start to hear about 1Password for teams, and later, families. This sounds like a good solution to the master password issue since each family/team members gets their own master password and account key. Cool!

I've totally been there! We shared a Dropbox vault and Master Password for years, and while that was doable, it's been a bit of a relief to get away from that. :)

I keep trying to figure out how to sign-in from 1Password 4 for Windows, but I can't. I start searching the forums for other people with the same issue, and discover that I need the new and flash 1Password 6 to use teams/family services. Okay, no problem. This actually looks a lot nicer and further lowers the barrier of entry for my wife. I install 1Password 6 on both my Windows computer, and my wife's. It works okay for her, but I'm disappointed because I can't manage my local vaults, a requirement I have for some work credentials. I re-install 1Password 4 on my Windows computer, but now the browser extensions seem to be in conflict. I uninstall 1Password 6 from my computer. My wife is frustrated that she still doesn't have access to our shared passwords, and I don't want to sync an online vault and local vault, so we both walk away frustrated, again.

Ah, interesting. I also still have some local vaults around, and 1Password 4 as well to manage them on occasion...but this isn't something I'd want anyone else to have to do. I'm really sorry that you're still a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place there, and we're working hard to remove those barriers for you and everyone else in a similar situation. :(

I hope this helps. The critical path seems to be
    1) Marketing via email and blog posts pushes me to use 1Password for teams/families.
    2) Missing functionality in 1Password 4 to connect to these new services pushes me to 1Password 6.
    3) I install 1Password 6, but hit a roadblock when trying to manage my second vault which contains work credentials.
    4) Stuck between choosing local vaults, or 1Password families/teams, I reinstall 1Password 4 and stick with local vaults.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback! I'll be honest, while I know we have a lot of folks out there who want to use 1Password 6 only with a license/local vault setup, I do often forget that I may not be alone in having/wanting to use 1Password.com simultaneously. It really helps to hear about your experiences, so we can make the new app work not only for 1Password.com and also local vaults, but both together as well.

This discussion has been closed.