To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Questions re: how to transition from 1Pass app to Accounts

Options
jhaygood
jhaygood
Community Member

OK we've used 1Pass a long time. My wife and I share data, sync to Dropbox, and both have the app on multiple computers, iPhones, etc. So what do we do? I set up the account, it moved data to the new vault (no longer on Dropbox? Confusing...) Here are my questions:
Do I delete the dropbox vault? Scary (I actually copied it so I'd have a backup.)
How do I sign my wife in on her devices? As me? When I used the QR code on her computer it signed her into the account as me. Is that OK?
The app still says it syncs to a Dropbox file. Is that right?
My son also uses 1Pass but only has access to a secondary vault. What do I do with his devices?
Generally, the info was weak in helping users make this switch with real world specificity...
Any detail about moving a family, with multiple devices and different levels of access, would be useful.
Thx - J

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jhaygood
    jhaygood
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to ask, what's the benefit of this switch anyway??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Forgot to ask, what's the benefit of this switch anyway??

@jhaygood: Yes! That's the most important question! Some of the reasons you may want to consider a 1Password subscription are that it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can find more details on the website:

1Password.com

And while those are all great, my personal reasons for loving 1Password.com are that it makes it easy for me to share vaults with my family, and all of my data is backed up automatically (with the ability to revert to a previous version of an item even). But don't take my word for it. Just give the free trial a spin and decide for yourself if it's something you appreciate, and we're here to answer any questions you might have! It sounds like you're already in the middle of that process, so I'll answer the questions you've had so far:

Do I delete the dropbox vault? Scary (I actually copied it so I'd have a backup.)

Honestly there's no need to be in a hurry to delete it. That way you can go right back to your previous setup if you decide not to stick with 1Password.com. But if you find that you don't want to go back, then it would be best to delete it to avoid confusion in the future.

How do I sign my wife in on her devices? As me? When I used the QR code on her computer it signed her into the account as me. Is that OK?

Nah, don't do that unless you really want to share everything, including your data and Master Password. Of course it's up to you, and I know some folks prefer this, but I think it's nice to have some things separate, and to be able to choose my own Master Password. You can invite her to setup her own account.

The app still says it syncs to a Dropbox file. Is that right?

Unless you disable sync or start over, that will remain. This won't affect your 1Password.com data though, and if and when you decide you want to get rid of Dropbox and your local vaults entirely, let us know and we can help.

My son also uses 1Pass but only has access to a secondary vault. What do I do with his devices? Generally, the info was weak in helping users make this switch with real world specificity... Any detail about moving a family, with multiple devices and different levels of access, would be useful.

Not having a son myself, I think that illustrates that there isn't a single "one-size-fits-all" solution for walking different people through getting everything setup, but generally you'll follow the same procedure above to invite additional family members. They'll all have access to the Shared vault by default, and you can create additional vaults to share with some, all, or none of your loved ones. It's up to you. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jhaygood
    jhaygood
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. And I still am unclear on some things.
    The way it is now when I enter the name of a site I want to unlock, I get two sets of data, because it's still seeing the Dropbox data plus the new account vault. What do I do to stop seeing two versions?
    So on my wife's devices, she creates her own account? Does it have the same name? xxxxxxx.1password or whatever it is? (We share all the primary vault data and master password. It should see identical things that I do.)
    So you're saying my son creates his own account too? But he only has access to the secondary vault. How do I tell it to only connect to that secondary access?
    Also now when I enter the master password in my browser app, it pops the mac app to the foreground for some reason. Annoying. Why is that happening?
    Thanks for your help... Jim

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhaygood - Let's see if I can get you some answers to your questions. :-)

The way it is now when I enter the name of a site I want to unlock, I get two sets of data, because it's still seeing the Dropbox data plus the new account vault. What do I do to stop seeing two versions?

That's most certainly the case, because you have your data both in your local vault (the one you used until you migrated your data to the account) and your cloud-connected 1Password vault. Brent mentioned that you don't have to hurry to delete the local vault, but seeing duplicate entries is a downside of having two copies of your data. If you don't want to delete the local vault right now, you can work around this by 'hiding' it. Open the Preferences in 1Password and navigate to the All vaults tab. In the Vaults included list uncheck the Primary vault. It will not be shown in the All vaults list any more and you shouldn't see duplicates anymore.

So on my wife's devices, she creates her own account? Does it have the same name? xxxxxxx.1password or whatever it is? (We share all the primary vault data and master password. It should see identical things that I do.)

On your wife's devices she will join your existing Family account. She will set up an account, yes, but it's a user account that is part of your Family account. If you're currently sharing your Primary vault, that won't be the case by default in a Family account. However, you can create a new vault that only your wife and you have access to and then move the data from your Personal vault to the newly created shared one.

You can invite your wife from Admin Console > Family Members.

So you're saying my son creates his own account too? But he only has access to the secondary vault. How do I tell it to only connect to that secondary access?

Again, he creates (on your invitation) a user account that is part of your Family account. Once he's set up, you can control what vaults he has access to in Admin Console > Vaults.

Also now when I enter the master password in my browser app, it pops the mac app to the foreground for some reason. Annoying. Why is that happening?

That's a good question. It's not expected behavior at all. Can you please contact Support by email with some details on this one? We'll be happy to look into it.

I hope this all helps. Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm here for you. :)

• jhaygood
    jhaygood
    Community Member
    Options

Thx for helping. There's more!

Where is 'Admin Console'? Searched to no avail... Once I can find that I can see if I have questions about how to make it work for us.
    I went to All Vaults in prefs and selected just my new Accounts vaults. But in app when I pull down all vaults it still shows everything, and I still see everything in list of logins. Didn't seem to have any effect.
    Also, is there something that needs to be done in browsers to make this same change?
    Thx - J

• jhaygood
    jhaygood
    Community Member
    Options

Also now I see that when I select just my Personal vault in the mac app, it has all the duplicates of every login... So it's not even that it's showing both vaults, it has duplicates in the Primary vault...

This really seems like a work in progress, or at least needs way better instructions on migrating?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Where is 'Admin Console'? Searched to no avail... Once I can find that I can see if I have questions about how to make it work for us.

@jhaygood: If you click on your team/family name in the upper right, you can find the admin console in that menu:

https://start.1password.com/admin/dashboard

I went to All Vaults in prefs and selected just my new Accounts vaults. But in app when I pull down all vaults it still shows everything, and I still see everything in list of logins. Didn't seem to have any effect.

Right. You'll still have access to all of your individual vaults, but you can hide items in specific vaults from the All Vaults view, as Roman explained.

Also, is there something that needs to be done in browsers to make this same change?

Nope! 1Password for Mac will display the same data whether in the app or the browser. For example, I've hidden some less-used shared vaults from my All Vaults view. So when I do a search there or login to a website with All Vaults selected, that data is ignored. But I can switch to any individual shared vault -- even one I've hidden from All Vaults -- to access its data at any time.

Also now I see that when I select just my Personal vault in the mac app, it has all the duplicates of every login... So it's not even that it's showing both vaults, it has duplicates in the Primary vault... This really seems like a work in progress, or at least needs way better instructions on migrating?

If you copied your data to a new vault and you still have both vaults in 1Password, it stands to reason that you'll have two of everything. This is no different than making copies of some papers, and dumping everything on your desk. You'll have two of each, unless you put the originals away in a box or destroy them. If you don't want both, there are a few ways to handle this, depending on your preference:

1. Move data instead of copying it, so you don't have duplicates.
    2. Remove the old vault if you're no longer using it.
    3. Keep both, and hide one or the other.

Or, if you do want two of everything for whatever reason, you can leave things as they are. But it sounds like that isn't the case. Let me know what you'd like to do!

• jhaygood
    jhaygood
    Community Member
    Options

OK, trying to hang in with this but definitely wondering if it's worth the trouble. Does this new system work better in the end? Is it cheaper? What's the reason to move over, because one thing my family hates is me changing something that was working! Right now I have turned off Accounts (is there a better name? That's pretty generic and confusing in itself...) until I understand this. 1Password is such a critical tool for us, I hate messing with it.

OK, first issue is I now have duplicates of everything in my Primary Vault. I'm thinking maybe this happened because I was asked if I wanted to move my data in both my laptop and my phone? The architecture of all this is unclear, so when you are asked things like that in an app, it's really hard to know the answer. So I probably said yes, thinking that was device-specific or something. Assuming that's what happened, how do I reset that? I would think dump all data and then re-import. But deleting is always scary. So not sure what to do to fix that problem.

I found the Admin Console. The instruction should have said to look for that ONLINE. I was looking in the app for it.

The control to select what vaults are shown is... not ideal. Because you tell it in prefs not to show certain vaults, but then they are still visible (as a choice, not in the data). I would suggest when a user says don't show it, then don't show it...

I'm still unclear about inviting people with limited access. Haven't tried it yet so maybe it's obvious. But I guess when I invite my son - for a defined vault - somewhere in that process I control his access? Is that on his device when he accepts the invite? Or do I invite him to a certain vault?

OK, trying to decide if this change is worth it. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Do you have encouraging reasons that this is the way to go?

Thx - J

• rhookway
    rhookway
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1password with dropbox on a mac for a while now. I just added a 1password account and successfully copied the data from the dropbox vault to my new personal vault. When I created the 1password account, I used a different master password than the one I had been using on dropbox. Now I have the curious situation where I can login to the 1password app on the mac using the old master password and see the data in the 1password account vaults. It's true that in order to do this I had to sign-in to the account under the accounts tab of the preferences dialog box, however, when I lock the 1password app, I can only unlock it with the old password and doing so gets me access to the vaults in the account. Is this intended behavior? Should I just change the Master Password for the dropbox vault to be the same as the account Master Password? If I click on Change Master Password under the security tab of the preferences dialog, which master password will be changed?

Thanks,
    -Ray

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK, trying to hang in with this but definitely wondering if it's worth the trouble. Does this new system work better in the end? Is it cheaper? What's the reason to move over, because one thing my family hates is me changing something that was working!

@jhaygood: Perfectly understandable! If you have a setup that works for you and aren't longing for the benefits 1Password.com has to offer, then there's no harm in sticking with what you have.

Right now I have turned off Accounts (is there a better name? That's pretty generic and confusing in itself...) until I understand this. 1Password is such a critical tool for us, I hate messing with it.

I think "accounts" are appropriate though since with the 1Password.com subscription service you use an account to login on each device/browser to access your data -- email address, Account Key, Master Password, and login URL. Maybe we'll come up with something better down the road, but an account is what it is, and it's a concept most of us are familiar with already.

OK, first issue is I now have duplicates of everything in my Primary Vault. I'm thinking maybe this happened because I was asked if I wanted to move my data in both my laptop and my phone? The architecture of all this is unclear, so when you are asked things like that in an app, it's really hard to know the answer. So I probably said yes, thinking that was device-specific or something. Assuming that's what happened, how do I reset that? I would think dump all data and then re-import. But deleting is always scary. So not sure what to do to fix that problem.

Do you have your original vault still? If so, then there's no harm in backing that up and then taking the nuclear approach to start over with a clean slate. But you may want to verify your setup first. You may simply need to remove the original vault from the app to resolve this, depending on where these "duplicate" items reside.

I found the Admin Console. The instruction should have said to look for that ONLINE. I was looking in the app for it.

Sorry for the confusion! I'm glad if my link helped.

The control to select what vaults are shown is... not ideal. Because you tell it in prefs not to show certain vaults, but then they are still visible (as a choice, not in the data). I would suggest when a user says don't show it, then don't show it...

If you select an individual vault, ⌘ A will select all of the items in it. But again, I think it might be useful to identify what you're trying to get rid of. If it's just all of the data in a local vault (Primary, for example), it would be easier to disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced to remove it completely. Doing this will also save a backup first, so it's something you can undo if needed.

I'm still unclear about inviting people with limited access. Haven't tried it yet so maybe it's obvious. But I guess when I invite my son - for a defined vault - somewhere in that process I control his access? Is that on his device when he accepts the invite? Or do I invite him to a certain vault?

If you invite your son as a regular member, he'll have his own Personal vault and any vaults you share with him. Or you can invite him as a guest, and he'll have access only to a single vault you share with him.

OK, trying to decide if this change is worth it. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Do you have encouraging reasons that this is the way to go?

Indeed, that makes sense! It isn't very exciting, but I'd say there's a very good practical reason why 1Password.com is the way to go. Imagine this scenario:

You have all of your data in 1Password.com, and your son is setup with his own account as well. You both have your own data, and can login to your account on a new device to access it there as well. Then you decide to share a vault and put some items in it for your son. When you do this, he doesn't have to do anything on his end: the shared vault and its contents shows up on all of his devices automatically, both those he's already using and others he adds in the future. No configuration in his account, or on each individual device. And then any items he puts in that shared vault (or changes he makes) show up for you as well.

Certainly if you're used to doing things one way there's a "cost" to transitioning to something new and getting used to it, but I think this is a pretty common scenario that 1Password.com makes super easy. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have been using 1password with dropbox on a mac for a while now. I just added a 1password account and successfully copied the data from the dropbox vault to my new personal vault. When I created the 1password account, I used a different master password than the one I had been using on dropbox. Now I have the curious situation where I can login to the 1password app on the mac using the old master password and see the data in the 1password account vaults. It's true that in order to do this I had to sign-in to the account under the accounts tab of the preferences dialog box, however, when I lock the 1password app, I can only unlock it with the old password and doing so gets me access to the vaults in the account. Is this intended behavior? Should I just change the Master Password for the dropbox vault to be the same as the account Master Password? If I click on Change Master Password under the security tab of the preferences dialog, which master password will be changed?

@rhookway: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The answer to that last question there is that you'll be changing the Master Password for the vault you have selected.

Since you setup 1Password for Mac, probably long ago, with a local vault, it's using that Master Password. While you can change this in the app to match, if you're transitioning to a 1Password.com Account fully, it might make more sense to start over in the app and set it up only with your account. Let me know what you think!

This discussion has been closed.