Not clear on how to switch users with the family plan

babbchuck
babbchuck
Community Member

We have several PCs running windows 10, each has chrome and firefox. The entire family shares these computers using a single windows login. I am evaluating 1password family. I have installed the app and browser extensions on one pc for firefox and chrome. What I envisioned was family members being able to log into 1password using their individual accounts/master passwords. What I am experiencing is that I am the only one that can log in, using my master password. Without having separate windows users, how can we share the same computer and browsers but use our separate accounts/master passwords?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: latest version
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:family sharing on one computer

Comments

• Hi @babbchuck - Thank you for contacting us. Great question, unfortunately you will need to create separate user accounts on the computer in order for this to work. As of right now, there's no way to switch between different users from within 1Password. Each member of the family has their own unique account key and master password. The only way around this I could think of is using the web interface for everyone if you want to continue with just one user account on the computer. Sorry for not having a better answer for your use case at the moment. I do appreciate the feedback and I hope you have a fantastic day!

• babbchuck
    babbchuck
    Community Member

Thanks Frank. Dang - that's too bad. Maybe they will add this ability in the future - we can't be the only family that shares a windows login.

• On behalf of Frank, you're welcome. We would like to build something like this down the road.

• Raptor007
    Raptor007
    Community Member

My wife uses windows and I have a Mac, but I have set up a separate user profile on her windows machine for things I need to do specifically as the admin. In the meantime it may be helpful to have different user accounts on you Windows 10 machine so not all users have admin rights and remove any potential for malware being installed. Just a thought.

• So, would using different user profiles on Windows 10 allow for different 1Password Family accounts on the same machine?
    I've been using 1Password for years now, and I just set up a Family account and added my wife. We just use one Windows profile and are running into the same issue.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@SciFi_ScienceTeacher Yes, two user profiles on Windows 10 (or really, any prior version back to 7) will let each of you have your own 1Password accounts signed in and active on the local application (1Password 6) as well as the web version. If you do really need to get to a second account while logged into another, you could log in with a different web browser (say, Firefox if you normally use Chrome) so each Account Key is stored for a different user in a different browser, but the local application with browser extension is designed to be for one user per Windows profile (it works the same on the Mac and AgileBits shows no particular intention to make changes to this design, which has been baked in pretty deeply and is a much more secure design than to have multiple users share one Windows profile, though it doesn't work for everyone's normal Windows usage patterns--or Mac for that matter).

The previous 1Password 4 on Windows was designed with a Vault-file orientation where you could open and close Vaults like they were files. This doesn't fit with the way the Mac application works (at least as long as I've used it), and the brand new 1Password 6, which is being written from scratch and isn't done yet (but is in a relatively usable beta state), now matches the way things work on Mac as much as possible (and more going forward). I don't mind this myself (happy to have it finally), but some do. For better or worse, that's the way it's likely going to be.

--David, not of AgileBits

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@SciFi_ScienceTeacher - @dzsp is spot on. Using separate local user accounts on Windows (and the Mac too, really) would be my recommendation.

• melody
    melody
    Community Member

I'm not married just I need

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@melody: Did you have a question about 1Password? We're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.