Locked out of 1PW Android when not connected to internet

tv1pw
tv1pw
Community Member

Very frustrating experience this weekend - went away abroad so not connecting to internet roaming & had only weak or no wi-fi internet connection. Could not access 1PW would not accept our master passwords on 2 Samsung s7 Edge phones & one tablet.

When entering the password 1PW didnt seem to be trying to open, just immediately said "try again" repeatedly. Password accepted as soon as we had a strong internet connection again.

This is potentially a major problem, by not being able to get to any passwords, PIN numbers etc when travelling away from the internet.

Please advise, thank you.

1Password Version: Windows 1PW 6 & Android 6.4.5
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10 / Androd 6.0.1
Sync Type: 1PW6 Family

Comments

• I am sorry for the trouble you are experiencing with unlocking your vault when your device is not connected to a network. This should not happen with your 1Password account. I would like to look into this further and understand what happened. I have prepared a couple of questions that will help us with identifying the problem:

1. Are you able to reproduce this issue by disconnecting your Galaxy S7 from the network? If so, do you see this error on every unlock attempt?

2. Does your Master Password contain characters outside of standard Latin (ASCII) characters? You can read this article to understand what these characters are: https://support.1password.com/special-characters-in-master-password/

Lastly, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Galaxy S7. This will help me understand additional information about your device and your 1Password configuration:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks.

• tv1pw
    tv1pw
    Community Member

Thank you Saad for your help here -

1. Every time I disconnect the device from the internet I then cannot unlock at each attempt. As soon as I re-connect to the internet I can then unlock & open my vaults.

2. Yes my master password does include non ASCII (a couple of accented characters). I have used similar non ASCII passwords with my previous password manager without any difficulties. Surely by using these characters makes a password safer?

As instructed I am now sending the diagnostics report by e-mail & referencing it to this post

No BitBot assistant support ID received after 45 mins & I now need to go to work, so I will send this now & if I have received an ID number when I get home I will forward on then.

Many thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As instructed I am now sending the diagnostics report by e-mail & referencing it to this post
    No BitBot assistant support ID received after 45 mins & I now need to go to work, so I will send this now & if I have received an ID number when I get home I will forward on then.

@tv1pw: No worries. We got it. Thanks so much for sending that! We'll take a look and get back to you on that via email.

ref: DEH-22211-668

Every time I disconnect the device from the internet I then cannot unlock at each attempt. As soon as I re-connect to the internet I can then unlock & open my vaults.

Indeed, this shouldn't happen. Thank you for bringing this up!

Yes my master password does include non ASCII (a couple of accented characters). I have used similar non ASCII passwords with my previous password manager without any difficulties. Surely by using these characters makes a password safer?

It makes it more complex, and possibly more difficult to guess, but we recommend against using non-ASCII characters, as these often result in character encoding issues on different platforms, and may result in you not being able to access your data. The character à, for example, has a number of different encodings for the same appearance, depending on the platform and character set. So when you enter what looks like à on two devices, they may be recognizing it separately as U+00C0 and U+00E0 (for Unicode alone). Only one of these can be correct for your Master Password to decrypt your data. It's easy enough to create a long, strong, unique Master Password without using characters which may make it difficult for you to unlock your vault on some devices. Better safe than sorry.

• tv1pw
    tv1pw
    Community Member

Hey Brenty, Hey Saad -

As suggestd I have reconfigured the master password only using ASCII characters & following the «How to choose a good Master Password» article - & as you suspected that works - I can now log-in to 1PW off internet.

Thank you gentlemen for your super & helpful advice & support

Very best - Teddy

• So glad to hear that Saad and Brenty were able to help out! Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.